Reload this Page >

Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

AlexSinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Hey everyone,

I am moving out to Abu Dhabi (Yas Island) from Brighton, UK, to Sing with my band and I have so many questions. I have been researching as much as I can but havent gotten any REAL answers. I'm 22.

So here goes :-

Fitness wise, I need a CHEAP gym. I am really looking to buff myself up out there and need to be in best possible shape to sing 5 nights a week.

What kind of nightlife is there? I am used to Brighton so lots going on all the time.

Pool wise, are you able to use Hotel pools if you purchase food/drink there?

Is it as strict as I have heard re- covering up. No shorts? I am such a keeeeeen fan of high waisted shorts and am so sad to leave them behind?

Please tell me ANYTHING you can, I would really love to make some girlfriends my age as I am in a band with all boys!

Thanks guys <3
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:57 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young woman seeking HELP with general Abu Dhabian info

Originally Posted by AlexSinger View Post
Hey everyone,

I am moving out to Abu Dhabi (Yas Island) from Brighton, UK, to Sing with my band and I have so many questions. I have been researching as much as I can but havent gotten any REAL answers. I'm 22.

So here goes :-
I'll answer each point individually the best I can...

Fitness wise, I need a CHEAP gym. I am really looking to buff myself up out there and need to be in best possible shape to sing 5 nights a week.
Cheap gym is an oxymoron in the UAE. The cheapest in Dubai for example is about £68 a month. Abu Dhabi will probably be worse.

Try to find a flat in a building that has a gym in it.

What kind of nightlife is there? I am used to Brighton so lots going on all the time.
There's one part (well, two if you include drugs) of Brighton nightlife that you won't find out here (well, not that easily anyway). It should be fairly easy to catch my drift.

Otherwise, Dubai is more of the place to be for nightlife. Are you on about live music or clubbing?

Also, be aware. The laws out here state that you can't mingle with the guests if you're performing. Even once you're off the stage, you can't chat to non-band members – even your partner and friends. You must go to another bar – even if it's in the same hotel.

The venue can be fined a lot if you break these rules.

If you're on about live music for your nights off, let me know and I'll put you in touch with one of the main people in the local scene. Otherwise pick up a copy of Time Out.

Pool wise, are you able to use Hotel pools if you purchase food/drink there?
No. Usually, it's either a room or one of their major services like massages that get pool and beach access. Most decent buildings have a pool.

Is it as strict as I have heard re- covering up. No shorts? I am such a keeeeeen fan of high waisted shorts and am so sad to leave them behind?
Abu Dhabi is a little more strict than Dubai, but it's fine. So long as your high waisted shorts aren't little more than hot pants with more material around the waist, you'll be fine. As a guideline, try and get the hemline of the shorts as close to, or past your knees as possible.

It's a hot country, so they understand (well, aside from a small close minded vocal minority). Basically, so long as you aren't showing too much leg, it's fine.

Please tell me ANYTHING you can, I would really love to make some girlfriends my age as I am in a band with all boys!

Thanks guys <3
Depends what you're in to outside of bandlife. There's plenty of clubs around, and there are a surprising number of girls active in bands themselves out here.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou so much!

Yes I certainly do catch your drift, I am coming out with my boyfriend so the 1st point is fine, and the 2nd point is a bit more vague I suppose!

I am playing at an American Bar/Restaurant rather than hotel, so Im not sure it will be as strict but I will for sure ask the venue owners when I get there, certainly don't want to get in any trouble!

I am praying that our apartment has a pool, but I have heard it hasn't which would be more than harsh! lol. Im going to have to make some friends who live in pool blocks with gyms arent i haha.

Ok, Dubai is the place to be then for going out. Pain in the butt for getting back at a nighttime? Are taxis expensive and regular? I love clubbing but to be honest anywhere with music is more than likely to get me on my feet i absolutely love having a dance.

Would I not be able to drive/go anywhere alone/sit in the front passenger seat/ have a bop in public (I am one for being in a shop and if a song comes on I like I like to have a walking bop)

Also alcohol license? If I am drinking within a venue am I able to have a drink without one?

Sorry for all the questioning!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

There's a bloody massive pool called The Indian Ocean that's not difficult to find and is generally free. But this time of year is warmer than most baths you'll have had in the uk.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Ok, where abouts is that. I google mapped it and cant seem to find it. Isit bikini friendly?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, where abouts is that. I google mapped it and cant seem to find it. Isit bikini friendly?
I despair...
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Oh? Have I said something wrong?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you are just pulling our legs. Meanwhile I don't know of any American bars/restaurants on Yas Island that are not located within a hotel, so presumably they will be accommodating you within the hotel complex. You are no doubt familiar with the UAE laws on unmarried couples co-habiting, so be careful. Finally, the laws about band members mingling with their audience are draconian to say the least. One hotel in Dubai was recently fined Dhs50,000 or thereabouts (somebody will correct me I'm sure) for allowing a band member to talk with a friend between acts. Crazy but you have presumably researched such things. As for nights off, I will be surprised if you get many!.... p.s. The Indian Ocean, do you get it now?

Last edited by mentalist; Aug 22nd 2012 at 8:41 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

O.M.G I am such a doofus. Im sorrryyyyy lol. 100% get it now... THE OCEAN. ahahahaha.

So even non muslim expat couples cant live together?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:40 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AlexSinger;10241080]Thankyou so much!

Yes I certainly do catch your drift, I am coming out with my boyfriend so the 1st point is fine, and the 2nd point is a bit more vague I suppose!
Just be aware it's illegal for unmarried couples to cohabit. It's not always enforced, but unscrupulous landlords and neighbours can use it to their advantage.

I am playing at an American Bar/Restaurant rather than hotel, so Im not sure it will be as strict but I will for sure ask the venue owners when I get there, certainly don't want to get in any trouble!
Aside from the Jebel Ali Club in Dubai, I can't think of a single bar or restaurant that serves alcohol or plays live music that isn't in a hotel. As far as I know, an alcohol licence can only be granted to a hotel (the Jebel Ali club is an exception due to it being about 30-40 years old).

There are no exceptions. They never used to enforce it but they've been pushing hard of late.

I am praying that our apartment has a pool, but I have heard it hasn't which would be more than harsh! lol. Im going to have to make some friends who live in pool blocks with gyms arent i haha.
Might not be as easy as that, but by all means try.

Ok, Dubai is the place to be then for going out. Pain in the butt for getting back at a nighttime? Are taxis expensive and regular? I love clubbing but to be honest anywhere with music is more than likely to get me on my feet i absolutely love having a dance.
Taxis are dirt cheap, but it's not cheap to get between Dubai and Abu Dhabi – you're talking about 300AED at worse (£50).

Would I not be able to drive/go anywhere alone/sit in the front passenger seat/ have a bop in public (I am one for being in a shop and if a song comes on I like I like to have a walking bop)
I'm not sure what you mean?

Also alcohol license? If I am drinking within a venue am I able to have a drink without one?
Technically, no. If the police stop you, you're ****ed. But they'll never ask to see it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:45 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Hopefully you are just pulling our legs. Meanwhile I don't know of any American bars/restaurants on Yas Island that are not located within a hotel, so presumably they will be accommodating you within the hotel complex. You are no doubt familiar with the UAE laws on unmarried couples co-habiting, so be careful. Finally, the laws about band members mingling with their audience are draconian to say the least. One hotel in Dubai was recently fined Dhs50,000 or thereabouts (somebody will correct me I'm sure) for allowing a band member to talk with a friend between acts. Crazy but you have presumably researched such things. As for nights off, I will be surprised if you get many! p.s. The Indian Ocean, do you get it now?
It was about 50k (£8000).

From what I understand, a band member was leaving the bar when a fan pulled him over and asked for an autograph. It was no more than 30 seconds of talking, but the authorities happened to walk in at that moment and the venue got shafted.

As far as I am aware, the general thinking behind the law's logic is there was a time when bands had 10-20 backing dancers (even metal bands) who were actually prostitues and would solicit fans after the performance. It's aimed at stoping that from happening.

Of course, the idea of banning backing dancers would be too simple.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:28 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
There's a bloody massive pool called The Indian Ocean that's not difficult to find and is generally free. But this time of year is warmer than most baths you'll have had in the uk.
The Indian Ocean is bloody massive and not difficult to find but it's also a bloody long way from Abu Dhabi.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
Aside from the Jebel Ali Club in Dubai, I can't think of a single bar or restaurant that serves alcohol or plays live music that isn't in a hotel. As far as I know, an alcohol licence can only be granted to a hotel (the Jebel Ali club is an exception due to it being about 30-40 years old).
The (British) Club in Abu Dhabi is another exception - again been around for donkeys' years (50 this year).

And try the (Persian) Gulf for the big warm swimming pool nearer to Abu Dhabi than the Indian Ocean...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:03 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
That's quite a long way from Abu Dhabi though. I'd prefer to use the Arabian Gulf myself...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:47 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
I'll answer each point individually the best I can...

Cheap gym is an oxymoron in the UAE. The cheapest in Dubai for example is about £68 a month. Abu Dhabi will probably be worse.

Try to find a flat in a building that has a gym in it.

There's one part (well, two if you include drugs) of Brighton nightlife that you won't find out here (well, not that easily anyway). It should be fairly easy to catch my drift.

Otherwise, Dubai is more of the place to be for nightlife. Are you on about live music or clubbing?

Also, be aware. The laws out here state that you can't mingle with the guests if you're performing. Even once you're off the stage, you can't chat to non-band members – even your partner and friends. You must go to another bar – even if it's in the same hotel.

The venue can be fined a lot if you break these rules.

If you're on about live music for your nights off, let me know and I'll put you in touch with one of the main people in the local scene. Otherwise pick up a copy of Time Out.

No. Usually, it's either a room or one of their major services like massages that get pool and beach access. Most decent buildings have a pool.

Abu Dhabi is a little more strict than Dubai, but it's fine. So long as your high waisted shorts aren't little more than hot pants with more material around the waist, you'll be fine. As a guideline, try and get the hemline of the shorts as close to, or past your knees as possible.

It's a hot country, so they understand (well, aside from a small close minded vocal minority). Basically, so long as you aren't showing too much leg, it's fine.

Depends what you're in to outside of bandlife. There's plenty of clubs around, and there are a surprising number of girls active in bands themselves out here.
I'd add to the shorts part by saying dress for the occasion and when in doubt dress up rather than down in Abu Dhabi. Shorts in the mall, government offices, hospitals, supermarkets etc are not a good idea as they will attract attention - it only takes a miserable local woman to suddenly find yourself being questioned by security or the police.

N.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.