British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   and you thought the NHS was bad...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-thought-nhs-bad-605035/)

deemi786 Apr 23rd 2009 7:24 am

and you thought the NHS was bad......

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Health/10306926.html

Shocking treatment....

Morecambe Mindy Apr 23rd 2009 7:48 am

Re: and you thought the NHS was bad......

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7506192)

That is unbelievable. Wouldn't you think that hospital would've found her a bed elsewhere bloody quickly when they knew she was in labour.

Disgusting.

banter64 Apr 23rd 2009 7:51 am

My ex had the same case in the end his wife now ended up giving birth in UAQ as this was the only hospital that would accept her.

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7506192)

this is the reason I will only recommend the Al Wasl Hospital ;)

deemi786 Apr 23rd 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7507556)
this is the reason I will only recommend the Al Wasl Hospital ;)

I've used Emirates Hospital and the American Hospital, both seemed ok, there was going to be a Bumungrad hospital in JLT, near Ibn Battuta mall but that fell through, shame it would have been amazing..

Hello.Kitty Apr 23rd 2009 8:47 pm

Medcare is the same... they can't deal with preemie babies. Nice to know that you're left to fend for yourself if things get critical (especially as having a baby is not an emotional thing in the slightest anyway)...

I now know of 3 women (myself included) who returned (or are returning) home to have their babies.

I have a friend whose arms were actually strapped to the operating table during her planned c-section. She didn't get to hold her baby for 2h after the birth. It's tragic.

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2009 6:41 am

[QUOTE=Hello.Kitty;7508547]Medcare is the same... they can't deal with preemie babies. Nice to know that you're left to fend for yourself if things get critical (especially as having a baby is not an emotional thing in the slightest anyway)...

I now know of 3 women (myself included) who returned (or are returning) home to have their babies.

I have a friend whose arms were actually strapped to the operating table during her planned c-section. She didn't get to hold her baby for 2h after the birth. It's tragic.[/QUOTE]

where?

deemi786 Apr 24th 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7508547)
Medcare is the same... they can't deal with preemie babies. Nice to know that you're left to fend for yourself if things get critical (especially as having a baby is not an emotional thing in the slightest anyway)...

I have a friend whose arms were actually strapped to the operating table during her planned c-section. She didn't get to hold her baby for 2h after the birth. It's tragic.

Ok i might have to clear this one up for you...in some hospitals throughout the WORLD, this is standard practice.

The tables are too narrow for your arms & one arm is needed to have the IV, etc in it, so to protect the baby and mother and to fasten up the process after birth (stitching) they DO strap the arms down.

Hello.Kitty Apr 24th 2009 9:35 pm

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;7509563]

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7508547)

I have a friend whose arms were actually strapped to the operating table during her planned c-section. She didn't get to hold her baby for 2h after the birth. It's tragic.[/QUOTE]

where?

Medcare. :(

... and that wasn't half of it. Still, whichever hospital you pick, anywhere in the world, you'll hear horrid birth stories - and hopefully some good ones to balance!

As for the beds, well, fair enough, but with the number of elective c-sections in Dubai I wouldn't expect a 2-year-old private hospital to buy beds that were too narrow for their purpose. I also would expect them to vaguely respect a woman's birth plan and not just play lip-service to such a "modern" idea.

Paying a lot of money to be treated the same as the NHS in the 60's is not my idea of an ideal birth.

deemi786 Apr 25th 2009 3:09 am

[QUOTE=Hello.Kitty;7511747]

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7509563)
Medcare. :(

... and that wasn't half of it. Still, whichever hospital you pick, anywhere in the world, you'll hear horrid birth stories - and hopefully some good ones to balance!

As for the beds, well, fair enough, but with the number of elective c-sections in Dubai I wouldn't expect a 2-year-old private hospital to buy beds that were too narrow for their purpose. I also would expect them to vaguely respect a woman's birth plan and not just play lip-service to such a "modern" idea.

Paying a lot of money to be treated the same as the NHS in the 60's is not my idea of an ideal birth.

I've worked in some of the best hospitals in the world and they do exactly this.

The narrow beds is just an example, generally its to protect the patient and baby.

Blue Cat Apr 25th 2009 5:42 am

[QUOTE=deemi786;7512337]

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7511747)
I've worked in some of the best hospitals in the world and they do exactly this.

The narrow beds is just an example, generally its to protect the patient and baby.

well they definately don't do it at the Al Wasl, I am living proof :)

deemi786 Apr 25th 2009 6:15 pm

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;7512509]

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7512337)

well they definately don't do it at the Al Wasl, I am living proof :)

fair enough but im just saying its not specific to this region..