British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   And you thought Dubai was safe... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-thought-dubai-safe-658186/)

kittycat1 Mar 7th 2010 7:12 am

And you thought Dubai was safe...

11 year old boy stabbed to death in gang fight- just like being in Brixton!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58306...-in-gang-fight

lionheart Mar 7th 2010 7:17 am

Re: And you thought Dubai was safe...

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8400848)
11 year old boy stabbed to death in gang fight- just like being in Brixton!

Although the UAE is effectively a Police state, I would never describe the streets of Dubai as being safe. There is so much unreported crime which you only hear about by word of mouth.

Madam Medusa Mar 7th 2010 7:36 am

yeah, it's not 100% safe, but bloody hell, it can hardly be classed as brixton...i've always feel safe here, whereas there's no way i'd walk in many places at night in the uk on my own...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Mar 7th 2010 7:38 am

just like being in Brixton!
sorry- let me add a ';)' wasn't actually seriously comparing it to Brixton- although Brixton isn't as bad as everyone makes out- although I don't know of anyone that has lived there and not been mugged/burgled/had phonr stolen in the street/ had their laptop pinched from them in the tube...

Autonomy Mar 7th 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8400876)
sorry- let me add a ';)' wasn't actually seriously comparing it to Brixton- although Brixton isn't as bad as everyone makes out- although I don't know of anyone that has lived there and not been mugged/burgled/had phonr stolen in the street/ had their laptop pinched from them in the tube...

I've lived all over London - was only mugged once and even then it was all a bit surreal. And that was in Ladbroke Grove...

Lived for years in Stockwell (even worse than the gentrified Brixton) and never had much hassle... having said that you needed to be pretty street smart!

Though, the "mean streets" of Dubai will never ever be like London!

shiva Mar 7th 2010 8:43 am

no real mention/critique of the fact it mave have been caused by a group of 15 yr olds racing 4x4's ???? WTF

Roadking Mar 7th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8400974)
no real mention/critique of the fact it mave have been caused by a group of 15 yr olds racing 4x4's ???? WTF

Aaaw, c'mon man; it was Thursday night...what else is there to do? :confused::huh:

shiva Mar 7th 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8401036)
Aaaw, c'mon man; it was Thursday night...what else is there to do? :confused::huh:

shag your relatives apaprently

Brains1983 Mar 7th 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8400875)
yeah, it's not 100% safe, but bloody hell, it can hardly be classed as brixton...i've always feel safe here, whereas there's no way i'd walk in many places at night in the uk on my own...

MM, xx

theres places where I'm from I wouldnt walk on my own during the day!

Roadking Mar 7th 2010 10:26 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8401128)
shag your relatives apaprently

At 15!?? They can't, they're too busy racing 4x4's.

lionheart Mar 7th 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8401138)
At 15!?? They can't, they're too busy racing 4x4's.

By 15 most of the prettier relatives (and/or domestic servants) have already been shagged I suspect.:rofl:

TGFKASE Mar 7th 2010 11:08 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8401149)
By 15 most of the prettier relatives (and/or domestic servants) have already been shagged I suspect.:rofl:

And then, if they are lucky, they get to play with a member of the OPPOSITE sex....

Spugsy Mar 7th 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8400875)

MM, xx

yeah it's not til you go back home you realise how safe Dubai is, I've never had any bother ever, well I got punched at Chi once, punched thelad back and that was it, but I feel totally safe here.

Spugsy Mar 7th 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8401180)
And then, if they are lucky, they get to play with a member of the OPPOSITE sex....

HEH.

typical Mar 7th 2010 1:00 pm

I've been offered drugs in Brixton. While out running.

Mind you, it was amazing how many types they could offer in the time it took me to jog past them... :rofl: