Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

You think you're well travelled? Think again. Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

You think you're well travelled? Think again. Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:54 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default You think you're well travelled? Think again. Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

This is incredible...

Back in 1989, as the Berlin Wall fell, Gunther Holtorf and his wife Christine set out on what was meant to be an 18-month tour of Africa in their Mercedes Benz G Wagon. Now, with more than 800,000km (500,000 miles) on the clock, Gunther is still going.

The German former airline executive has travelled the equivalent of 20 times around the planet in the vehicle - which he calls Otto. He says he has never had a serious breakdown. Recently in Vietnam, Canadian-born photographer David Lemke joined Gunther on one section of his epic journey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18910560
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: You think you're well travelled? Think again. Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

Wow! That's unimaginably epic.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You think you're well travelled? Think again. Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

Thats amazing! I notice there were no pictures of the SZR or Emirates Road! T
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Another one who has been at it for years!!

http://www.weltrekordreise.ch/a_starte.html
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked this story. How it was suppose to only be a few months, then they just kept at it.

Cool car too.

EDIT> What I liked was where he's been. Most would just expect the typical crawling all over Africa, but there are loads of Western places and some tin pot regimes. I would love to know how he imported the car into some of those places.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 24th 2012 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Not that impressed, to be honest. My old E Class had 600,000 km on the clock when I sold it.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolutely incredible trip- amazing- what is the betting that as soon as he said the car has never broken down he's soooo gonna break down! Great photography- you really can't beat film!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

It made my day watching that....
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:08 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree re: locations.... from Brazil to Hollywood, Kuwait, Iraq, all over Africa and everywhere in between...

Leica's are rather good cameras.... but it's the person not the camera that makes the image - agree - some not just good snaps, but great photographs there. Also love the way they did it, local foods, no hotels, keep going... why? Because it's there....

Did anyone else tear up when it became clear his wife had passed away and with her picture hanging from the rear view mirror he said that she wanted him to keep going... awesome....
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Totally agree re: locations.... from Brazil to Hollywood, Kuwait, Iraq, all over Africa and everywhere in between...

Leica's are rather good cameras.... but it's the person not the camera that makes the image - agree - some not just good snaps, but great photographs there. Also love the way they did it, local foods, no hotels, keep going... why? Because it's there....

Did anyone else tear up when it became clear his wife had passed away and with her picture hanging from the rear view mirror he said that she wanted him to keep going... awesome....
The blonde didnt look bad..................wonder who she was!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

That is the best advert for the g-wagen.

Before I got my nas D110, I was thinking about getting a G. I gave up on it partly thinking that spares would be hard to come by in MesoAmerica and South America. I'd always thought that the utilitarian LandCruiser would be the best 4x4 to travel in 3rd world nations owing to its availabilty around the world and reliability.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:11 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Not that impressed, to be honest. My old E Class had 600,000 km on the clock when I sold it.
To be fair, a thousand school runs might not make for an interesting a read
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:13 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
That is the best advert for the g-wagen.

Before I got my nas D110, I was thinking about getting a G. I gave up on it partly thinking that spares would be hard to come by in MesoAmerica and South America. I'd always thought that the utilitarian LandCruiser would be the best 4x4 to travel in 3rd world nations owing to its availabilty around the world and reliability.
If I have learned anything in my travels to various shitholes around the world, the easiest parts to find and most common old high mileage vehicles you usually find are mercedes.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
To be fair, a thousand school runs might not make for an interesting a read
at 600km, that is quite a school run.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
at 600,000km, that is quite a school run.
Yeah, I was quite proud of the mileage . It was in good shape, too. Absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with it. They don't make them like they used to (this was a 1984 model).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.