Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

Emarat attendants are routinely strip-searched for tips, but lawyers say the practice is illegal

Fuel station attendants get between Dh40 and Dh80 in customer tips daily. But they rarely get to take it home.

“Our stance on tips is addressed and explained during the training that follows after a staff is recruited and is a part of our internal operating procedures. We expect our employees to deliver the highest level of customer service standard and do not want tips to cause any discrimination or bias in the service offered to customers. The corporation goes to great lengths to ensure that our staff are treated with love and care and any little money generated as tips is reinvested into staff welfare and entertainment funds,” Emarat said in a statement to XPRESS.

Oh really?

Edit: Forgot to say that they're paid AED1,000 a month. An average of AED60 per day, for, say, 22 days per month (although they probably only get one day per week off), is AED 1,320. I rather think the attendants would feel a little more loved and cared for if they got 132% bonus every month which, I'm pretty sure, is exactly where most customers expect their tips to go.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...-tip-1.1124297

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jan 9th 2013 at 12:08 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

Whilst I agree completely with what you are saying, this is perhaps a slightly different issue:

“Last week, there was a shortage of Dh100 at our station. All of us were taken to the store room and stripped naked by the supervisor. He even asked us to remove our underwear. It was so shameful I wanted to die,” said Bashir who works as an attendant at an Emarat gas station in Dubai.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:07 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Whilst I agree completely with what you are saying, this is perhaps a slightly different issue:
Sounds like the supervisor is a pervert. It could easily have been someone making a mistake.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

For a shortage of AED100 in a week? FFS. What's the average weekly take? Conservatively, say 100 cars per hour, AED70 per customer, 24/7 = AED1 million. I'd be surprised if it was ever exactly right.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Sounds like the supervisor is a pervert. It could easily have been someone making a mistake.
Oh of course, and let's not forget the source either.

All just shit for the lads standing on the pumps. I'll still tip them.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:16 pm
Hit 16's

Oh of course, and let's not forget the source either.

All just shit for the lads standing on the pumps. I'll still tip them.
But you won't.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:20 pm
Hit 16's

And I also question the AED40-80 tips per day. Really? Let's assume a 10-hour shift, that's AED6 per hour. How many cars do they do in an hour? Say 6, being conservative again. Average tip? AED3? So only 1 in 3 customers tip, and then only AED3? There are some tight bastards out there.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But you won't.
What? At Emarat? No, because I won't use them.

I'll be filling up tonight and the chap will get the money rounded up or a bit extra chucked in. Normally only 5dhs to be fair, 10 if the windows get cleaned...
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be filling up tonight and the chap will get the money rounded up or a bit extra chucked in. Normally only 5dhs to be fair, 10 if the windows get cleaned...
my tank normally takes 97 dhs, handy for him he gets the other 3 dhs
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:47 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my tank normally takes 97 dhs, handy for him he gets the other 3 dhs
If Adnoc do as Emarat do, "he" won't get the money.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

no longer let them keep the change now I need to keep coins at the ready for Mawaqif (yes I do usually use a mawaqif card but sometimes have to revert to coins)
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I asked him, they keep their coins.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite old news.

I asked them at Emarat the other day. The guy confirmed he kept all his tips and was very grateful when I give him a tip.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I asked them if they get it and they do.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:41 pm
Hit 16's

Doubly happy to be proved wrong, then: the guys get their tips, and the newspaper report is bollocks.

(Although it doesn't square with the official statement from Emarat.)