British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   You still going to tip petrol station attendants? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-still-going-tip-petrol-station-attendants-783116/)

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 11:59 am

You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

Emarat attendants are routinely strip-searched for tips, but lawyers say the practice is illegal

Fuel station attendants get between Dh40 and Dh80 in customer tips daily. But they rarely get to take it home.

“Our stance on tips is addressed and explained during the training that follows after a staff is recruited and is a part of our internal operating procedures. We expect our employees to deliver the highest level of customer service standard and do not want tips to cause any discrimination or bias in the service offered to customers. The corporation goes to great lengths to ensure that our staff are treated with love and care and any little money generated as tips is reinvested into staff welfare and entertainment funds,” Emarat said in a statement to XPRESS.

Oh really?

Edit: Forgot to say that they're paid AED1,000 a month. An average of AED60 per day, for, say, 22 days per month (although they probably only get one day per week off), is AED 1,320. I rather think the attendants would feel a little more loved and cared for if they got 132% bonus every month which, I'm pretty sure, is exactly where most customers expect their tips to go.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...-tip-1.1124297

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2013 12:05 pm

Re: You still going to tip petrol station attendants?

Whilst I agree completely with what you are saying, this is perhaps a slightly different issue:

“Last week, there was a shortage of Dh100 at our station. All of us were taken to the store room and stripped naked by the supervisor. He even asked us to remove our underwear. It was so shameful I wanted to die,” said Bashir who works as an attendant at an Emarat gas station in Dubai.

NorthernLad Jan 9th 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10473369)
Whilst I agree completely with what you are saying, this is perhaps a slightly different issue:

Sounds like the supervisor is a pervert. It could easily have been someone making a mistake.

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10473369)

For a shortage of AED100 in a week? FFS. What's the average weekly take? Conservatively, say 100 cars per hour, AED70 per customer, 24/7 = AED1 million. I'd be surprised if it was ever exactly right.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10473375)
Sounds like the supervisor is a pervert. It could easily have been someone making a mistake.

Oh of course, and let's not forget the source either.

All just shit for the lads standing on the pumps. I'll still tip them.

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10473392)
Oh of course, and let's not forget the source either.

All just shit for the lads standing on the pumps. I'll still tip them.

But you won't.

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 12:20 pm

And I also question the AED40-80 tips per day. Really? Let's assume a 10-hour shift, that's AED6 per hour. How many cars do they do in an hour? Say 6, being conservative again. Average tip? AED3? So only 1 in 3 customers tip, and then only AED3? There are some tight bastards out there.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10473397)
But you won't.

What? At Emarat? No, because I won't use them.

I'll be filling up tonight and the chap will get the money rounded up or a bit extra chucked in. Normally only 5dhs to be fair, 10 if the windows get cleaned...

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2013 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10473415)

I'll be filling up tonight and the chap will get the money rounded up or a bit extra chucked in. Normally only 5dhs to be fair, 10 if the windows get cleaned...

my tank normally takes 97 dhs, handy for him he gets the other 3 dhs :thumbsup:

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10473415)

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10473432)
my tank normally takes 97 dhs, handy for him he gets the other 3 dhs :thumbsup:

If Adnoc do as Emarat do, "he" won't get the money.

flares Jan 9th 2013 12:57 pm

no longer let them keep the change now I need to keep coins at the ready for Mawaqif (yes I do usually use a mawaqif card but sometimes have to revert to coins)

Blue Cat Jan 9th 2013 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10473440)

I asked him, they keep their coins.

Millhouse Jan 9th 2013 1:49 pm

This is quite old news.

I asked them at Emarat the other day. The guy confirmed he kept all his tips and was very grateful when I give him a tip.

al dente Jan 9th 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10473440)

I asked them if they get it and they do.

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2013 3:41 pm

Doubly happy to be proved wrong, then: the guys get their tips, and the newspaper report is bollocks. :D

(Although it doesn't square with the official statement from Emarat.)