Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

You know you've been in the middle east too long when...

You know you've been in the middle east too long when...

Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:49 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been in the middle east too long when...

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting. What kind of motors do Uber use?

Careem annoyed me because they massively took the piss to get me to the airport (I'm sure I posted about it) but then redeemed themselves because it was half-free credit, so couldn't complain too much, but also emailed apologising and all that jazz. Definitely wouldn't stop me from using them again.
With Uber, I had a Lexus (al la Careem) once, a Beemer 7 twice and an Audi A6 once
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
With Uber, I had a Lexus (al la Careem) once, a Beemer 7 twice and an Audi A6 once
Sweet.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Yep, use the "now" function for Careem if it's not an advance booking
Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Yep, use the "now" function for Careem if it's not an advance booking
For advance booking use the 'later' button
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:05 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting. What kind of motors do Uber use?

Careem annoyed me because they massively took the piss to get me to the airport (I'm sure I posted about it) but then redeemed themselves because it was half-free credit, so couldn't complain too much, but also emailed apologising and all that jazz. Definitely wouldn't stop me from using them again.
Yep I've used Careem a few times and they were decent.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

You know you've been in the middle east too long.......... when you expect a BMW, Lexus or Audi as a pre-booked taxi service
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You have been in the Me too long when you ask maintenance to change a light bulb ( in my compound it is a rule that we HAVE to let maintenance do it....but we have to supply the lightbulb...lol)

I still do it myself though...but please do not say, they might deport me.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

............when you find you have forgotten why you came to the ME in the first place.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting taxi stories - I have the opposite problem. From the lobby of my apartment block, I walk to the service road that runs along the front (SZR side) of the H and Fairmont hotels, and raise my hand in a vaguely beckoning fashion......

Within five seconds, about five taxis screech to a halt and I have to wait for the verbals to die down so that I can actually get into one of them.......
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
You have been in the Me too long when you ask maintenance to change a light bulb ( in my compound it is a rule that we HAVE to let maintenance do it....but we have to supply the lightbulb...lol)

I still do it myself though...but please do not say, they might deport me.
Can't be fear of lawsuit, can it?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

You know you've been in the middle east too long when..........you know your passport number, issue date and expiry date off-by-heart
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:24 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
You know you've been in the middle east too long when..........you know your passport number, issue date and expiry date off-by-heart
I thought the exact thing yesterday whilst checking in online without having to have my passport in front of me.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

When you expect to wait at enbd for an hour before even a hint of seeing a teller!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Sorry, clarification there. Careem for pre-booked (airport etc) Uber for now rides. Have used Uber about 4 times and they were very good. Always arrived within 10 mins, direct to the address based on GPS. Nice clean cars and even cool water in the back. Slightly pricier than Careem (maybe 5-8%) but worth it when you cant find an RTA. I'm using Careem to get me to Sandance on Friday and hopefully Uber on the way home (there will likely be some Ubers in Atlantis' car park).
How much will you approximately pay with Uber from Sandance do you think? I'm going on Friday too and don't fancy the thought of a long wait for a taxi home. Can't wait !!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:57 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
How much will you approximately pay with Uber from Sandance do you think? I'm going on Friday too and don't fancy the thought of a long wait for a taxi home. Can't wait !!!!!!!!!
Careem are quoting 180 from Sandance to jumeriah. Can't see uber being too different to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.