Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

You Know You are in the UAE When...

You Know You are in the UAE When...

Old May 9th 2011, 9:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You Know You are in the UAE When...

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
You can buy Hobgoblin in Dubai?

That's almost a reason to move back there...

N.
I'm fairly sure I've seen it in Barracude or the booze place in RAK (Al Hamra?).
Old May 9th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

N.
Well, not Dubai, but Barracuda stocks it.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm fairly sure I've seen it in Barracude or the booze place in RAK (Al Hamra?).
Didn't see you'd already replied
Old May 9th 2011, 9:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

That's such a long drive from AD...probably quicker to go back to Britain!

N.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That's such a long drive from AD...probably quicker to go back to Britain!

N.
You could call in when you visit that Iceland water park. I know you are dying to go...
Old May 9th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

N.
Does Loca not sell it ??
Old May 9th 2011, 10:20 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

You could call in when you visit that Iceland water park. I know you are dying to go...
Ye know too much!

N.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

..when a zebra crossing/pedestrian crossing means nothing.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

On every car journey you see a selection of the following
- someone being in the wrong lane to turn but they turn anyway
- Swapping lanes 3 or 4 times and then still being in wrong lane
- Reversing back to a junction
- near misses due to cars pulling out in front

Taxi drivers use the brake and throttle like an on off switch.

If you take more than 1 second after the lights turn green you will here a horn beeping.

When someone takes more than 1 second to go when the lights change you beep your horn.

After selecting a number of items yourself a "customer service" helper will follow you to the till.

Looking at the weather report is as pointless as the UK. In the UK sun is forcast and it will most likely rain, here rain is forcast and we get sun.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paca
. . . . If you take more than 1 second after the lights turn green you will here a horn beeping.
That should be 'Nanosecond!'
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
When you talk do you do the 'little thing' with your fingers to symbolise quotation marks? I always want to snap the fingers of people who do that.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackthehat
I reckon I could give the formula 1 drivers a good bit of competition from the lights by now!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paca
On every car journey you see a selection of the following
- someone being in the wrong lane to turn but they turn anyway
- Swapping lanes 3 or 4 times and then still being in wrong lane
- Reversing back to a junction
- near misses due to cars pulling out in front

Taxi drivers use the brake and throttle like an on off switch.

If you take more than 1 second after the lights turn green you will here a horn beeping.

When someone takes more than 1 second to go when the lights change you beep your horn.

After selecting a number of items yourself a "customer service" helper will follow you to the till.

Looking at the weather report is as pointless as the UK. In the UK sun is forcast and it will most likely rain, here rain is forcast and we get sun.
And you know you've been in the UAE too long when you stop noticing all of the above and (in my husband's case) doing them yourself. The problem is, he still thinks he's driving in Dubai and it's sleep little Brisbane, Australia.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kim67
And you know you've been in the UAE too long when you stop noticing all of the above and (in my husband's case) doing them yourself. The problem is, he still thinks he's driving in Dubai and it's sleep little Brisbane, Australia.
You develop hatred for anyone one expat (unless its online)

You have wishful thinking and fantasies on local girls...

You think wearing WESTHAM UNITED shirt written HAMMER 4 LIFE is the coolest thing

You find out how slow internet is

You cant use skype

You equate Deira to Brick Lane
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You have to recite this mantra before leaving home each morning: "I am not going to engage in road rage this morning. I am not going to engage in road rage this morning. I will be calm. I will be calm."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.