British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are you an Emirati??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-emirati-872427/)

iggle Feb 14th 2016 4:10 am

Are you an Emirati???

Are you an Emirati???

So you’re from a foreign country and came to UAE to work. You’ve lived in UAE for over 5 years, you have home (rent or bought), family raised here, ID Cards, cars, job; maybe some of you even have businesses, some of you have raised your kids here…So are you an Emirati?

The answer is no.

But In any other country you would get a passport

See how I worded the above question, if you have all the following it gives you a right to a British passport. Does that make some one British…discuss?

Lightandbitter Feb 14th 2016 4:30 am

Re: Are you an Emirati???

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11866992)
Are you an Emirati???

So you’re from a foreign country and came to UAE to work. You’ve lived in UAE for over 5 years, you have home (rent or bought), family raised here, ID Cards, cars, job; maybe some of you even have businesses, some of you have raised your kids here…So are you an Emirati?

The answer is no.

See how I worded the above question, if you have all the following it gives you a right to a British passport. Does that make some one British…discuss?

I am new to this forum so i probably don"t have voting rights, but to me your lack of usage of definate and indefinate articles in your sentences suggests to me you are not British.

iggle Feb 14th 2016 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11867001)
I am new to this forum so i probably don"t have voting rights, but to me your lack of usage of definate and indefinate articles in your sentences suggests to me you are not British.

Check your spelling buddy!

Don't is spelt with a "'" not a ", its spelt as definite and indefinite not definate and indefinate.

Millhouse Feb 14th 2016 5:05 am

I know it's Valentines day, but please get a room you two. I'm struggling with all this heavy flirting.

martinbkk Feb 14th 2016 5:06 am

Hmm, the bit "But In any other country you would get a passport" seems a bit optimistic to me. If you limit yourself to the very narrow group of countries comprising the EU, US, AUS and NZ you might have a point but "any other", I don't think so.

Japan, nah
China, would you want it?
Thailand, hahahah!

But then again why?
What's wrong with being a foreigner? I've been one all my life, and I'm English by birth and history, it's never been an issue. I honestly don't think I would want any other passport.

Lightandbitter Feb 14th 2016 5:24 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11867018)
Check your spelling buddy!

Don't is spelt with a "'" not a ", its spelt as definite and indefinite not definate and indefinate.

Glad you looked that up. thanks

Big_Show Feb 14th 2016 6:48 am

Same scenario in Qatar definitely wouldn't get you a passport.

iggle Feb 14th 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Big_Show (Post 11867054)
Same scenario in Qatar definitely wouldn't get you a passport.

That's the point I am making! Well a couple actually.

If you have a British passport, does that make you British?

Should we so easily give passports out just for following a quite simple criteria

nottmbantam Feb 14th 2016 7:04 am

I think it's pretty much the same in all GCC countries. Have known families here in Saudi that have been here two / three generations - born and raised here. They see this is 'home'. Absolutely no chance in hell of getting Saudi Citizenship.

mikewot Feb 14th 2016 9:13 am

This is why they get a passport and are citizens of the Comoros Islands. Was a requirement of some world organisation that 'displaced' persons had to get citizenship of somewhere. The UAE gets around it by an agreement with the Comoros Islands. I can't be fagged to look up all the details but it is surprising how many here are citizens of there but have locals jobs, even coppers.

Lorna at Vicenza Feb 14th 2016 9:53 am

Are you an Emirati???   So you’re from a foreign country and came to UAE to work. You’ve lived in UAE for over 5 years, you have home (rent or bought), family raised here, ID Cards, cars, job; maybe some of you even have businesses, some of you have raised your kids here…So are you an Emirati?   The answer is no.   But In any other country you would get a passport  

I have all of that in Italy and no Italian passport. I don't have Italian citizenship. It's not automatic.  

Pollyana Feb 14th 2016 11:25 am

Are you an Emirati???

The answer is no.

Having all of that in Britain does not automatically get you a UK passport. It doesn't in Australia, New Zealand, and many other countries either.

To get a passport you need to become a citizen. And that requires you to apply and pass the requirements for your chosen country.

Lightandbitter Feb 14th 2016 1:17 pm

which was my point. stupid original question

scot47 Feb 14th 2016 2:49 pm

Would you like to be an Emirati ? I would consider that to be a cruel and unnatural punishment.

Bahtatboy Feb 14th 2016 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11867058)
?...a quite simple criteria

People in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks.