British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Yorkshire Puddings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/yorkshire-puddings-722135/)

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 11:50 am

Yorkshire Puddings

Going to make some, but the recipe I have says use plain flour? surely they won't rise with plain flour?

jackthehat Jun 23rd 2011 11:54 am

Re: Yorkshire Puddings

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9452003)
Going to make some, but the recipe I have says use plain flour? surely they won't rise with plain flour?

Plain flour! - It rises through the 'Beating Process!' Put some Pepper into the one for the Beef, and do another one (No Pepper) to use with Jam or Lemon Curd!

Stealth Otter Jun 23rd 2011 11:54 am

Plain flour is fine.
Trick is to get the oil as hot as you can.

co durham boy Jun 23rd 2011 11:55 am

and you're from the North East....My God..Sacrilege...!

Plain flour , eggs , full fat milk , teaspoon of vinegar , good lard...

Don't forget , get them tins smoking !

WakeUp Jun 23rd 2011 11:56 am

Mockney Jamie Oliver says to use plain flour so I guess that the way....

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/m...0Pudding./4267

Stealth Otter Jun 23rd 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9452011)
It rises through the 'Beating Process!'

:rofl: Funnily enough I was only mentioning that to Mrs StealthOtter the other day

kittycat1 Jun 23rd 2011 11:57 am

I make a killer yorkshire- yes its plain flour!

jackthehat Jun 23rd 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9452011)
Plain flour! - It rises through the 'Beating Process!' Put some Pepper into the one for the Beef, and do another one (No Pepper) to use with Jam or Lemon Curd!

Yes, and as they say Extra Virgin Olive Oil as hot as you can get it, and Batter Mix at 5C from the fridge. Introduce the two together, and put back in the oven!

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 12:01 pm

plain flour it is then!! been ages since I made any puddings :thumbsup: using the Bero recipe

co durham boy Jun 23rd 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9452022)
Yes, and as they say Extra Virgin Olive Oil as hot as you can get it, and Batter Mix at 5C from the fridge. Introduce the two together, and put back in the oven!

Yorkshire puddings should only be made with Beef Dripping....

Morecambe Mindy Jun 23rd 2011 12:03 pm

I forgot to get the oil hot the only time I attempted Yorkshires and mine turned out like pancakes!

I find Aunt Bessie's do the trick (or just wait to go home and get my mum to make them).:o

kittycat1 Jun 23rd 2011 12:03 pm

my recipe

6 heaped serving spoons of plain flour
2 good-large size free range eggs
a good pinch of salt
full fat milk
water (half water to milk)

Stick the flour in a pint jug, add the salt and eggs, slowly add milk beating the mixture with a fork, add a bit of water add a bit of milk, until you have a smooth runny but ot too runny mixture which is full of air. Stick it in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.

Preheat the over to hotter than hell, using a muffin tin, put the tin in the over with oil in the tin. Let the tin and oil get ridiculously hot.

Add the mixture, turn the temp down to 220, put the tin back in, leave in oven- do not open the door until you think they are ready. takes 30-40 minutes. Makes 6 BIG yorkshires.

:thumbsup:

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9452029)

can you even get that here? seen lard but not dripping?

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 9452030)
I forgot to get the oil hot the only time I attempted Yorkshires and mine turned out like pancakes!

I find Aunt Bessie's do the trick (or just wait to go home and get my mum to make them).:o

would rather do without! :eek:

jackthehat Jun 23rd 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9452029)

I know, and I used to love it! Monday tea, when I got home from school was Dripping on Toast, but I cannot do that now! Extra Virgin is fine, it actually makes the Pud quite light!