Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Yet another iphone question

Yet another iphone question

Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:57 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another iphone question

Originally Posted by Bob
I doubt it. HTML5 has been knocking around as the holy grail for ages now and the uptake hasn't exactly been that massive of a switch from Flash in the commercialsphere
You think? The number of commercial websites I can't browse on my iPad due to them using Flash has dwindled rapidly over the last couple of years. Now that mobile Flash is officially obsolete and there will be no further updates of it (and anyone buying a new Android device from here on in won't be able to install even the final supported version unless they go under the hood, which most normal users won't do), it's inevitable that the holdouts will have to change.

Large commercial entities, schools and banks just don't move that fast and don't necessarily care about mobile devices like tablets.
They don't care about the single fastest-growing sector of the computing market? Yeah, right. The iPad in particular has been embraced by a huge percentage of the Fortune 500, Global 500 and educational markets.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
You think? The number of commercial websites I can't browse on my iPad due to them using Flash has dwindled rapidly over the last couple of years. Now that mobile Flash is officially obsolete and there will be no further updates of it (and anyone buying a new Android device from here on in won't be able to install even the final supported version unless they go under the hood, which most normal users won't do), it's inevitable that the holdouts will have to change.

They don't care about the single fastest-growing sector of the computing market? Yeah, right. The iPad in particular has been embraced by a huge percentage of the Fortune 500, Global 500 and educational markets.
And yet those same sites still have Flash based apps/games and other features.

Sure, they might offer "lite" versions of their sites so that you can browse them on your tablet, but that's not the same as offering the same content or access.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bob
And yet those same sites still have Flash based apps/games and other features.

Sure, they might offer "lite" versions of their sites so that you can browse them on your tablet, but that's not the same as offering the same content or access.
Is it a bit like pissing in the bowl compared to a urinal?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo... Day 4 and I have finally managed to send my phone contacts from my old phone to my S3 via blue tooth ( that was a huge step forwards because I didn't even know what blue tooth was before ) ..the 1st time I did it I ended up with 345 old contact email details from MSN, I have no idea how that happened!!! It took me an hour to work out how to delete them!! lol.

Then I looked at the calendar thing on my new phone and it shows that I have a meeting every other Thursday at 8am..how the hell did it know that??? I feel violated!!! Did I ask it to put my meetings down? No! Mind your own business!! lol How did it do that please??
I am loving the speak to google thing and the fact that I can just talk my text message and tell it to send it.
Other than that I don't really know what else to do with it
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:40 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Other than that I don't really know what else to do with it
Doesn't it vibrate?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:30 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And yet those same sites still have Flash based apps/games and other features
Now, yes. In a year or two? I wouldn't put money on it. What's the point of supporting a dead technology from here on out when all modern browsers on all computers and mobile devices support the vastly superior HTML5?

Sure, they might offer "lite" versions of their sites so that you can browse them on your tablet
Only if they don't want to be taken seriously. The idea of only offering a "lite" version of a site for iOS and Android users is frankly risible. It would be like suggesting you're only going to support WAP-level internet access for mobile users. Perhaps a few very stupid companies will, but the majority will not.

Sure, companies will save a small amount of money by not converting any existing Flash content on their sites to HTML5. But where is the advantage to them to develop *future* content in Flash only, or indeed Flash at all? None whatsoever. It would be as pointless as using RealVideo (another former de facto standard that's been left by the wayside) for video clips. They'll develop in HTML5 for maximum compatibility with the maximum number of devices.

Last edited by Eeyore; Nov 20th 2012 at 3:39 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is it a bit like pissing in the bowl compared to a urinal?
It is a bit.

It's a bit like thinking things should make sense and that they'll change quickly. They don't, unfortunately.

You only have to look at banking in the US to realise this
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Doesn't it vibrate?
yes..and it whistles
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Doesn't it vibrate?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:00 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the score with the micro SIM card and the iPhone 5? Do you get your current sim cut down or do you buy from Etisalat?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
So what's the score with the micro SIM card and the iPhone 5? Do you get your current sim cut down or do you buy from Etisalat?
I have just got a micro sim from etishite. It was only 50 dhs. Or, you can get it cut down at a phone shop.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
The iPhone 5 takes a Nano Sim card. Etisalat apparently had them available last month, but I am in Doha so cannot confirm.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:18 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Recently changed to nano sim from Du. Process was 4 mins and ost AED 20. Plenty of stock apparently.

In case you're wondering why I previously said that the iPhone 5 was not for me and now I have a nano sim? Yep, it involved a party and a swimming pool :-(
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Betty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really nice

Love my iphone 5. The one thing that bugs me about iTunes is if you upload an album, you can't delete individual songs - unless someone can tell me how to do it?
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Bee
Love my iphone 5. The one thing that bugs me about iTunes is if you upload an album, you can't delete individual songs - unless someone can tell me how to do it?
You could try this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.