British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Yet another iphone question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/yet-another-iphone-question-777387/)

mikewot Nov 14th 2012 5:50 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 
Deal on with groupon at the moment from 3299 upwards depending on memory http://www.groupon.ae/deals/national...0_0_319&a=2026 plus 20 delivery.

captainflack Nov 14th 2012 9:48 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 
A decent Android phone runs rings around iphones. I've had both. The Iphone 5 is a total disappointment, they're just chasing Samsung now with a bigger screen and what with producing a smaller tablet too.

The iphone operating system is creaking and looks pretty dated now. It doesn't have widgets so you're still stuck with icons to launch apps, you cannot run apps on the home screen. And the maps is as bad as everyone says. They have the intersection at the end of my street as a roundabout (it never has been in the 7 years I've been in Dubai) and they don't show the bridges on and off of the palm or the tunnel you go through to atlantis. And these are just the problems I found in 5 minutes looking at my local area, so I wouldn't trust it going somewhere i didn't know. Google maps and navigation has everything in far more detail and it all looks accurate.

As for cloud stuff, Google is the master of that, so you can sync everything up with your desktop machines. If you have a mac, maybe the Apple one is better, but Google syncs perfectly across any platform browser based, so you don't have to install anything like the truly awful horror that is itunes.

shiva Nov 14th 2012 10:45 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 10381881)
A decent Android phone runs rings around iphones. I've had both. The Iphone 5 is a total disappointment, they're just chasing Samsung now with a bigger screen and what with producing a smaller tablet too.

The iphone operating system is creaking and looks pretty dated now. It doesn't have widgets so you're still stuck with icons to launch apps, you cannot run apps on the home screen. And the maps is as bad as everyone says. They have the intersection at the end of my street as a roundabout (it never has been in the 7 years I've been in Dubai) and they don't show the bridges on and off of the palm or the tunnel you go through to atlantis. And these are just the problems I found in 5 minutes looking at my local area, so I wouldn't trust it going somewhere i didn't know. Google maps and navigation has everything in far more detail and it all looks accurate.

As for cloud stuff, Google is the master of that, so you can sync everything up with your desktop machines. If you have a mac, maybe the Apple one is better, but Google syncs perfectly across any platform browser based, so you don't have to install anything like the truly awful horror that is itunes.

bollocks.

apart from the itunes bit that i agree with, other than backing up or hardwired syncing i bypass itunes for anything and everything i can. version 1 of itunes was shit and its got progressively worse now for over 10 iterations.

Blue Cat Nov 14th 2012 11:50 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 
I am sick to the back teeth of my 3GS, I know it's old but it's only two years old surely their products should last longer than two years. It constantly crashes and I have no idea why. I have updated, synced etc still crashes for no reason whatsoever. Today half way through sending a text it died.

Eeyore Nov 14th 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10380700)
No facetime will be installed but it might not work here. I think the port for facetime might be blocked in the UAE, I know for a fact that Viber and Trango (almost similar apps) are blocked, I also know for a fact that Skype does not work properly on some Du connections

Several friends who have FaceTime say it works fine here. We've been on Du since we arrived in 2005 and while Skype calls to phone numbers don't work without a VPN, Skype-to-Skype works like a charm for both voice and video. Du doesn't even block the Skype website.

Patsy Stoned Nov 15th 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Yet another iphone question
 
Well, I went out this morning to do a little bit of shopping, suddenly fancied some chocolate. I asked the man for a Galaxy and came home with the S3..I can't eat it..so please can somebody who has 1 help me!!!
I suddenly feel like a grown up...NOT a good feeling!!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Spugsy Nov 16th 2012 4:39 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10382930)
Several friends who have FaceTime say it works fine here. We've been on Du since we arrived in 2005 and while Skype calls to phone numbers don't work without a VPN, Skype-to-Skype works like a charm for both voice and video. Du doesn't even block the Skype website.

Facetime works on my iPod touch but that's because it was an american one luckily, as a mate got an iphone and they won't allow it. Which is stupid.

mikewot Nov 16th 2012 5:34 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10384856)
I asked the man for a Galaxy and came home with the S3..I can't eat it..so please can somebody who has 1 help me!!!
I suddenly feel like a grown up...NOT a good feeling!!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Well done on popping your cherry as it were ;) What do you need to know?

Patsy Stoned Nov 16th 2012 6:26 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10385315)
Well done on popping your cherry as it were ;) What do you need to know?

I am slowly finding my way round it, fortunately there are some very good you tube tutorials. :)
Mind you, I tried to send my contacts from my old phone to this1 and ended up with 350 contacts with no numbers and half of them being what looks like my email account contacts..how did that happen?? It took me 2 hours to work out how to delete them all! Now I don't have ANY contacts in my new phone!!

NorthernLad Nov 18th 2012 3:05 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 
This debate about Samsung v Apple will always go on. I'm an Apple fan, simply because they work very, very well. Closed system? I have worked in IT for 16 years, I don't want to be ****ing around with filesystems etc...on an evening/weekend. I just want a simple-to-use phone that does everything well (which the iPhone does), and it syncs perfectly with my Macbook/iPad.

Just picked up a iPhone 5 for the missus in London, FaceTime works fine and it is a lovely piece of kit.

Fairydust Nov 18th 2012 4:34 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10388263)
This debate about Samsung v Apple will always go on. I'm an Apple fan, simply because they work very, very well. Closed system? I have worked in IT for 16 years, I don't want to be ****ing around with filesystems etc...on an evening/weekend. I just want a simple-to-use phone that does everything well (which the iPhone does), and it syncs perfectly with my Macbook/iPad.

Just picked up a iPhone 5 for the missus in London, FaceTime works fine and it is a lovely piece of kit.

Did you get it in the apple store or airport and was there plenty of stock? I'm going to Manch this week and was wondering about availability now

Eeyore Nov 18th 2012 4:37 am

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 10381881)
A decent Android phone runs rings around iphones

How, exactly? Given that my iPhone does everything I want it to do, how would an Android phone give me a better experience?


The iphone operating system is creaking and looks pretty dated now
I thought that looks didn't matter? After all, one of the criticisms levelled at Apple products is that there's too much emphasis on design over functionality ;)


It doesn't have widgets so you're still stuck with icons to launch apps
How terrible. Why should I care about widgets? How will they improve my life significantly?


you cannot run apps on the home screen
Again, so what?


And the maps is as bad as everyone says
You're right about that, but then there's no need to use Apple's own map app anyway, is there? You can just carry on using Google Maps via Safari (with an official app reportedly coming soon), or other third-party map apps.


the truly awful horror that is itunes.
What is so terrible about iTunes? It does what I want it to do and it's completely intuitive. Even my parents can use it. I love the fact that you just throw music into it and it worries about all the back-end stuff itself - I don't want to have to faff around with folders and things.

Bob Nov 18th 2012 7:47 pm

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10388328)

What is so terrible about iTunes? It does what I want it to do and it's completely intuitive. Even my parents can use it. I love the fact that you just throw music into it and it worries about all the back-end stuff itself - I don't want to have to faff around with folders and things.

You were fair enough on your first points. They're all much of muchness...who cares, personal preference.

iTunes though, no chance. That's the biggest load of shit ever.

Eeyore Nov 18th 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10389254)
iTunes though, no chance. That's the biggest load of shit ever.

But why? What exactly is so terrible about it? I'm genuinely puzzled, since as I mentioned previously, it does exactly what I want it to do (organises and plays my music and integrates seamlessly with the iTunes Store) and it's intuitive enough that even my techno-challenged parents, who are in their seventies, can use it.

Why should I *not* be happy with it? If you hate it that much you have to have *some* specific and meaningful criticisms.

Bob Nov 18th 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Yet another iphone question
 

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10389336)
But why? What exactly is so terrible about it? I'm genuinely puzzled, since as I mentioned previously, it does exactly what I want it to do (organises and plays my music and integrates seamlessly with the iTunes Store) and it's intuitive enough that even my techno-challenged parents, who are in their seventies, can use it.

Why should I *not* be happy with it? If you hate it that much you have to have *some* specific and meaningful criticisms.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters isn't it, so who cares what anyone else says or thinks because those issues clearly don't affect you?

It's kack in my view when it does kack things, like randomly reorganises your music collection, putting things in new folders or being renamed - especially bad when you've got compilation or sound track albums, where you end up with loads of duplicates and a mess because of it.

It's confusing and can be shit for backing things up, especially when updating devices where it wipes your collection off your device and made worse when trying to do that stuff when you have something that has a sync failure because it was off line for whatever reason, or if you connect a device up to multiple computers.

It's shit at handling DRM from other sources.

It's a resource hog and especially bad if you're not using a Apple device and the fact it needs to be installed on every thing, rather than just being a cloud client.

The one thing that it does very well that I like is the smart play list of randomising the tunes and ability to share/play over a LAN.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:14 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.