Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Old May 8th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
it's not just the locals driving that is bad though. many a time I've experience Eastern & Western expatriates actually accelerate to close a gap that I want to move in to. WHY????
An Arab friend of mine actually told me that if they let you in it shows a sign of weakness , if you try and get in they see it as a challenge to them as a person and they will take up the challenge.

I know it's fu**ing ludicrous , no wonder the whole world hates them.....
Old May 8th 2011, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
An Arab friend of mine actually told me that if they let you in it shows a sign of weakness , if you try and get in they see it as a challenge to them as a person and they will take up the challenge.

never EVER indicate. Problem solved.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
never EVER indicate. Problem solved.
It's even worse here in Qatar , they just run you off the road if you don't move .

The only thing you need to get around Doha is an Apache helicopter gunship , preferably with cluster bomb munitions and phosphorous ammo
Old May 8th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

It's even worse here in Qatar , they just run you off the road if you don't move .

The only thing you need to get around Doha is an Apache helicopter gunship , preferably with cluster bomb munitions and phosphorous ammo
I am still considering a Sherman tank....fully loaded, of course, and pimped,I think.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

I think am the only person that enjoys driving in dubai! But then do have 2 race licence's under my belt and an advanced driving course as well supplied by my previous employer. the advanced 1 not the race licence's lol
Old May 9th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I actually had this happen to me in Bahrain (it was possibly a Saudi driver though - it was too dark and it happened to quick to check the plate.) I was indicating to move into the left hand lane as I wanted to turn left later down the track. The dickhead who had been a safe distance away in the lane accelerated late and hard to block me off but only succeeded in ramming me causing me to swerve all over the place. I was in a hire car, he was in his own heap - he probably came off worse. In any case he didn't stop and I don't suppose he learnt much of a lesson.

The raw stupidity of this region eh? You get used to it and it doesn't make me as angry as it used to (it'll only drive you mad or give you a heart attack at 50 if you let it get to you) but it's a concern when your family have to use those roads every day. If he'd done that when my kids were in the car I would have needed every ounce of self control not to sort it out at the next set of traffic lights.....
Old May 9th 2011, 6:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I actually had this happen to me in Bahrain (it was possibly a Saudi driver though - it was too dark and it happened to quick to check the plate.) I was indicating to move into the left hand lane as I wanted to turn left later down the track. The dickhead who had been a safe distance away in the lane accelerated late and hard to block me off but only succeeded in ramming me causing me to swerve all over the place. I was in a hire car, he was in his own heap - he probably came off worse. In any case he didn't stop and I don't suppose he learnt much of a lesson.

The raw stupidity of this region eh? You get used to it and it doesn't make me as angry as it used to (it'll only drive you mad or give you a heart attack at 50 if you let it get to you) but it's a concern when your family have to use those roads every day. If he'd done that when my kids were in the car I would have needed every ounce of self control not to sort it out at the next set of traffic lights.....
I drive less and less these days, I really do avoid any long journeys at all. I take the back roads to do the School run. I am not scared of driving here at all and am confident, I just think the risk factor is high. Anyway what to do, as you say pointless getting a state about it.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:15 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I drive less and less these days, I really do avoid any long journeys at all. I take the back roads to do the School run. I am not scared of driving here at all and am confident, I just think the risk factor is high. Anyway what to do, as you say pointless getting a state about it.
how does that work...drive less and less, surely you need to go places and do things, you cannot just decide not to without it having an impact on your life, not to mention that of your child...
I think traffic is much better than it was up to about a year ago or so, the speed cameras everywhere have made a difference, there are loads more new roads, fly over etc... yes, you still get the stupid ones of course, but is that a reason not to go places and limit yourself in your daily live...
Old May 9th 2011, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
how does that work...drive less and less, surely you need to go places and do things, you cannot just decide not to without it having an impact on your life, not to mention that of your child...
I think traffic is much better than it was up to about a year ago or so, the speed cameras everywhere have made a difference, there are loads more new roads, fly over etc... yes, you still get the stupid ones of course, but is that a reason not to go places and limit yourself in your daily live...
use services locally as opposed to driving to Wafi for lunch, just stuff like that, nothing major. Has had no impact on my life whatsoever, I have everything I need with a 10 minute drive radius from where I live.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you there - I avoid driving whenever I can now. I've only had two accidents in my years of driving and neither were my fault (one from behind and the other on my rear left) but that's even more reason to keep off the roads when I can...I just don't want my son getting his insurance payout because someone decided my driving didn't meet the acceptable Kamikaze standard of the middle east.

Stay safe out there everyone - always assume the other motorist will do something stupid and give everyone a wide berth.

N.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:11 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I'm with you there - I avoid driving whenever I can now. I've only had two accidents in my years of driving and neither were my fault (one from behind and the other on my rear left) but that's even more reason to keep off the roads when I can...I just don't want my son getting his insurance payout because someone decided my driving didn't meet the acceptable Kamikaze standard of the middle east.

Stay safe out there everyone - always assume the other motorist will do something stupid and give everyone a wide berth.

N.
well, I don't think hey lets go for a random drive...but if I want to go to the beach or meet someone for coffee at the Marina or JBR walk, or to a particular restaurant or shop or whatever, I won't not go cause it's too risky to drive...that's no way to live as far as I am concerned...oh well, I probably will not have long to live so I better make sure I enjoy myself.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think it's pointless getting in a state , i pretty much get in a state everytime it happens to me and here in Qatar it is every single day .

Doha is filled with Roundabouts , roundabouts are an Arabs Nemesis , for something so simple to understand roundabouts cause more accidents here than any other driving fault . Wrong lane , stopping on a roundabout to give way , reversing on a roundabout , having a cup of coffee on a roundabout , it's all here in Qatar . Also Americans are shite at roundabouts as well , the most powerful nation on earth can't get their heads round them .

The day i stop being shocked or upset at driving skills in this region is the day i go home because it means i've gone Native.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:13 am