Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Yas Island Bars and Restaurants

Yas Island Bars and Restaurants

Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:08 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yas Island Bars and Restaurants

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Ok, enough of this.

Back to the topic.

I prefer Dubai to Ab Dhabs because:

1) the beaches are not only free but much better. I think there's only one public beach in Ab Dhabs according to the National article I saw a few weeks back. Dubai's location further up the Gulf and more direct position along the sea means the water quality is better and there's more water movement rather than a stagnant pit. There are a few beaches in Abu Dhabi and are crystal clear..I know, i swim in them weekly. Dubai beaches have had well publicised issues. A few folk from Dxb come through to swim in AD and comment how much better it is here. So ill take thier opinion over yours anyday

2) Dubai has better malls. Ab Dhabs may catch up eventually but at the moment Dubai Mall, MoE and Festival City are all leagues better than anything on offer in Ab Dhabs. Fair point..a malls a mall to me though, all of the same..boring

3) Dubai actually has history of some type. There's Bur Dubai and Deira and the old souks. I may have complained that they don't add up to much and can't compare with Damascus or Cairo, but Ab Dhabs is so new that there's nothing comparable.

4) Housing is cheaper and better in Dubai. agreed with the cheaper..not sure about better, ive lived in villas in mirdif and springs and meadows and they aint much to shout about

5) Dubai has loads more younger expats like me. Single and on the make. Yes, ill grant you that, it is full of jumped up kids who need put in thier place regularly.

6) Dubai is closer to the East Coast. yup? and?

7) Loads more restaurants of all stripes. agreed, There is more than enough in Abu Dhabi..and just painly too much in Dubai

8) Entertainment-nothing like Madinat or Barasti in Abu. There is the Souq at the Shangri La which is a mini madinat..however if you are a frequenter of Barasti's then i truly am wasting my time..it is THE bar in dubai that defines the type of people that make Dubai what it has become..

see my comments, there is more in Dubai..
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by admon
One thing I can't understand is Guinness or Steak and Ale pie.
Why spoil a good pint and a pie both at the same time?

Yes, never been keen on that.

What about Grosvenor Pie - you never see that anymore!!?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:21 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
Yes, never been keen on that.

What about Grosvenor Pie - you never see that anymore!!?
never heard of it, sounds pretty regal..
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone who likes to disagree with everything and everyone...

I have spent enough time in both Dubai and Ab Dhab to know Dubai is a clear winner for me.

Originally Posted by commander
see my comments, there is more in Dubai..
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:34 am
banned

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Someone who likes to disagree with everything and everyone...

I have spent enough time in both Dubai and Ab Dhab to know Dubai is a clear winner for me.
i have actually lived in both and have a different opinion to you, such is life.

But then again, i am married have a young kid and wouldnt go to Barasti's if you paid me to.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:38 am
Account Closed

I'm single without a kid and you couldn't pay me to live in Ab Dhabs.

Actually, yes, you can. I take that back. Good enough salary I will make the jump.

Barasti is an odd place. I go there all the time because my dragonboat team practices in the cove in front of Barasti. The bar probably caters to a wider range of western expats than any other bar in Dubai. On some nights the atmosphere is terrific while other nights the bar is dominated with flashy chavs and Aussie trash fresh off the plane. Stranger so are the nights when each of the three levels have a decidedly different crowd.

I find Barasti best for a late afternoon / early evening drink. Arrive at 4:30 or 5, watch the sun set, and leave between 9-10. The mood decidedly shifts at 10 when the night crowd comes in.

i have actually lived in both and have a different opinion to you, such is life.

But then again, i am married have a young kid and wouldnt go to Barasti's if you paid me to.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:11 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Went with the family to the Crowne Plaza on Yas last night for dinner. Are 'al fresco' at 'Stills' the bar on the ground level.

Very nice atmosphere and kid friendly.

Steak and ale pie was nice, however i prefer to not be able to count the amount of chips on 2 hands. 9 chips..WTF

really cool and not toooo overpriced.

Went to the Yas Hotel but they want 100AED upfront even to drive up to the entrance. This is ofcourse deducted from any FnB purchased in the Hotel.

Fair enough, it keeps nosey barstewards like us (the Abu Dhabi clampets) away..

AD is so much better than Dubai on so many levels now.
had a pretty good steak at the Rotana next door - pretty sure I had more than 9 chips to
Old Nov 8th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

kaz lou abu dhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

I love pies (especially M & S aberdeen angus mince pies), Abu Dhabi (its got a soul and character), Yas Island (wow), Oh and I am a PA
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz lou abu dhabi
I love pies (especially M & S aberdeen angus mince pies), Abu Dhabi (its got a soul and character), Yas Island (wow), Oh and I am a PA
sorry but nowhere in UAE has soul and character!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soukie
sorry but nowhere in UAE has soul and character!
Oh I don't know, I see quite a lot of characters walking around Abu Dhabi
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

and a lot of snooty types these days - never used to be like that!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

The ones that don't eat pies probably
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=admon;8080479]Gees, Expatwoman gossip is back I see. Are you friends with Busybee?

hey dont mix me up with the EWers
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

They're the ones that have moved over from Dubai to Abu Darby after losing their jobs...

I like both places, but prefer to live in Abu Dhabi any day. I just don't like the vibe I get from Dubai expats... it's fun to go for a bit, but I like to come back to the "real" people... get so sick of the Dubai "they'd all be living in the desert if it wasn't for us, therefore the Emiratis should worship at the feet of us expats..." as they run around with their hot pants and corsets on bollocks... Not saying that ALL Dubai expats are like that by any means, but you can't go far without tripping over a few.

Love the comment about Abu Dhabi being newer than Dubai... from someone who professes that history is an important factor for him when stating his preference for a place!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Commander lives in Abu Dhabi....

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
They're the ones that have moved over from Dubai to Abu Darby after losing their jobs...

"... get so sick of the Dubai "they'd all be living in the desert if it wasn't for us, therefore the Emiratis should worship at the feet of us expats..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.