British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Xmas Parties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/xmas-parties-780073/)

Bahtatboy Dec 9th 2012 10:56 am

Xmas Parties

What's your view on a European company in the UAE holding an Xmas party (and blatantly calling it that)? Said company employs about 70 people, of whom about 10 (at most) are Christians, boss-man being one of them. His take is that its a European company and therefore the company should maintain European traditions. The company didn't hold an Iftar.

I think that's bollocks. Its relying on the goodwill of all the non-Christians, and it would be far fairer to have a New Year Party (yeah, I know that's tied up with Christianity, but much more loosely). However, I'm told that no-one else made a comment.

Maybe I should just take some chill pills.

Blue Cat Dec 9th 2012 10:59 am

Re: Xmas Parties

I think you should chill, I am sure the rest of the work force are just seeing it as a night out.

NorthernLad Dec 9th 2012 11:10 am

The infidels in my company are way outnumbered, but we still have a Christmas party. That said, we also have Iftar.

Patsy Stoned Dec 9th 2012 11:18 am

Definitely chill darling, after all it is Christmas.:D
I have had many conversations with my local clients about Christmas, Jesus,
Easter etc. and none of them have been worried or upset about anybody celebrating anything. I think it is more the 'Western' people who worry about upsetting other nationalities.

Merry Christmas everybody (never Happy Holiday!!)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2012 11:33 am

We had a Christmas party, only person that didn't come was the Indian Accountant.

Rest of us left the presentation, straight to the bar and first jagerbombs at 13:45.

I was asleep outside my apartment (no keys) at 22:00.

rowell Dec 9th 2012 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10424128)
What's your view on a European company in the UAE holding an Xmas party (and blatantly calling it that)? Said company employs about 70 people, of whom about 10 (at most) are Christians, boss-man being one of them. His take is that its a European company and therefore the company should maintain European traditions. The company didn't hold an Iftar.

I think that's bollocks. Its relying on the goodwill of all the non-Christians, and it would be far fairer to have a New Year Party (yeah, I know that's tied up with Christianity, but much more loosely). However, I'm told that no-one else made a comment.

I wont be going to our so called xmas party, they cant even give us the firkin day off xmas day, they make us take a days holiday!

Blue Cat Dec 9th 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 10424191)
I wont be going to our so called xmas party, they cant even give us the firkin day off xmas day, they make us take a days holiday!

well we do live in a Muslim country and they don't celebrate it, a lot of companies are the same

Meow Dec 9th 2012 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10424156)
Definitely chill darling, after all it is Christmas.:D
I have had many conversations with my local clients about Christmas, Jesus,
Easter etc. and none of them have been worried or upset about anybody celebrating anything. I think it is more the 'Western' people who worry about upsetting other nationalities.

Merry Christmas everybody (never Happy Holiday!!)

You're right. Few non-Westerners/Christians are ever offended by being wished a Happy Christmas. Are you (generically) offended by someone saying Eid Mubarak for example?

It's just a get together and Christmas is so secular these days anyway.

I have no issue with Happy Holidays. It's a American term used to include mainly Christmas and Hannukah, so is inclusive rather than a way of avoiding saying Christmas.

And Chag Hannukah Sameach! ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10424201)
And Chag Hannukah Sameach! ;)

I'm offended

(cue Stephen Fry gag)

MataHari Dec 9th 2012 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10424128)

It wouldn't even occur to me to have an issue with it...there's Christmas music on the radio, the shops are full of Christmas stuff, all the restaurants are advertising their Christmas day lunches and dinners, in Mirdif City Center, which is a mall where loads of locals shop, there are Christmas displays set up with local kids being photographed by their parents...so what's the issue of having an office Christmas party...

rowell Dec 9th 2012 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10424194)
well we do live in a Muslim country and they don't celebrate it, a lot of companies are the same

Are they really? Didn't know that. Would have thought all British Companies got day off, also couldn't't go in the office if wanted to .....it's officially closed.

Kix Dec 9th 2012 2:54 pm

What I always find amusing is the rows of locals queueing up with their kids to see Santa (in Wafi usually).

That just shows how (in some ways) the Arabs are not just tolerant, but actively promote celebration.

Kudos (and no, not the dodgy aftershave).

Ditzy Dec 9th 2012 3:30 pm

Jesus was a prophet in Islam.

http://islam.about.com/cs/jesus/f/jesus_quran.htm

Companies who give Christmas day off are few and far between (even UK ones) - there is no requirement to.

commander Dec 10th 2012 12:51 am

We (US HQ with regional offices based in Jebel Ali) have Christmas and NYD officially off. That's for everyone in the region. Our Christmas party is going to be at Emirates Golf club this year. Last year it was at the Movenpick at JBR and Santa abseiled down from the roof..impressive apart from he got snagged on his lines halfway down and in the panic his beared fell off. Never knew Santa was a Phillipino.
Just like our Iftar parties that are attended by all relgions, so is our Christmas party. Every employee's child who is attending gets a present from santa, yup that includes the muslims, who love it.

Millhouse Dec 10th 2012 3:38 am

Only Christmas day off here - no office party.