Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_an.../10285696.html

Dude... no fcking way....
will this country ever evolve? this is so bad

edit: I should say, this is quite a shocking crime, but .... come on....have you all actually seen what stoning to death looks like?

second edit: OH GOOD! The girls were sentencted to receive lashings for being raped. I was worried for a second that the little whores would get off scot-free.

Last edited by AnotherWorld; Feb 15th 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:41 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

Tough on crime, tough on the victims of crime .
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

Sorry to venture into this part of the forum (I normally only post in Europe) but couldn't believe the article that I came across.

I'd heard of lashes for rape victims before (I will never understand the reasoning) and find it an absolute disgrace. Sorry to be naive, but wouldn't 80 lashes seriously damage the women physically? Has the man already been lashed before being deported? Will he be lashed at all? What will happen to him in Pakistan? The article seems to talk about the actions of all the women involved more than those of the man!

And I was surprised at the oldfashioned attitudes of Spanish men towards their women folk in small town Andalusia.

If this doesn't bring shame on the country, what will?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Lipservice...

He gets sentenced to stoning but gets deported, girls gets sentenced to lashes but gets a caution.
Like how in the UK you get a life sentence but are out within a decade in some cases.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous - what about if an even younger girl was raped by a fully grown man, would she still be sentenced to lashes for 'allowing' him to do so.

I'm not sure they actually have much say in the matter and I very much doubt they 'allow' the evil bastard to do it.

Of course, as per the previous post, they wouldn't go ahead with the stoning, and probably not the lashes (although possible) as that would generate to much bad PR for the country.

Shows that Sharia Law is a little outdated now.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:55 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Ridiculous - what about if an even younger girl was raped by a fully grown man, would she still be sentenced to lashes for 'allowing' him to do so.

I'm not sure they actually have much say in the matter and I very much doubt they 'allow' the evil bastard to do it.

Of course, as per the previous post, they wouldn't go ahead with the stoning, and probably not the lashes (although possible) as that would generate to much bad PR for the country.

Shows that Sharia Law is a little outdated now.
Outdated yet back in the UK our financial services industry is now one of the largest "sharia-compliant" financial systems in the world...first they''ll soften the impact through the financial system and then next will follow the civil and criminal courts.

N.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

In the cases where they do carry out the lashing they do them in stages, so maybe 5 one day then when that has healed the next 5 and so on.
N
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
In the cases where they do carry out the lashing they do them in stages, so maybe 5 one day then when that has healed the next 5 and so on.
N
that's considerate of them.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:30 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
that's considerate of them.
You should visit Chop Chop Square in Jeddah, Spugsy. They often drug the victims to stop them screaming when they get decapitated. I also understand that the drugs reduce the bleeding too, as some poor bugger has to clean up the mess. If you are a westerner, the locals will push you to the front of the crowd to get a better view. Very considerate people!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:38 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
You should visit Chop Chop Square in Jeddah, Spugsy. They often drug the victims to stop them screaming when they get decapitated. I also understand that the drugs reduce the bleeding too, as some poor bugger has to clean up the mess. If you are a westerner, the locals will push you to the front of the crowd to get a better view. Very considerate people!
As I've said many, many times - There's nothing in this world that would get me to even set foot in that horrific pre-historic country.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: WTF the UAE still stones people to death?!

Originally Posted by lionheart
You should visit Chop Chop Square in Jeddah, Spugsy.
One way to give yourself nightmares for a few weeks, you'd have to be a very sick puppy IMO .
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, only a complete and utter Dh would go to chop chop square on chop chop days . . . these are the same people who run up the road to gawp at RTA's.

We were out that way the other week (on a none chop chop day) but the kids were adamant they didn't want to get out and look around - apparently there are some nice buildings in that area . . . .

N
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_an.../10285696.html

Dude... no fcking way....
will this country ever evolve? this is so bad

edit: I should say, this is quite a shocking crime, but .... come on....have you all actually seen what stoning to death looks like?

second edit: OH GOOD! The girls were sentencted to receive lashings for being raped. I was worried for a second that the little whores would get off scot-free.
It would be highly unlikely that the sentence of stoning to death would take place in the UAE. The same sentence was passed on a couple in Sharjah some years ago but it wasn't carried out.

When lashes are administered, the Quran is held under the arm of the person carrying out the lashing so that they can't bring their arm up or back enough to put full force behind the strokes. Nevertheless it is still painful and whilst the skin is not broken the welts are very sore. If the person carrying out the lashing shows any sign of satisfaction or enjoyment from the act, they are replaced and can be punished themselves.

Not that I condone either.