Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Worst holiday destinations

Worst holiday destinations

Old May 11th 2016, 7:41 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst holiday destinations

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Welcome(?) back.
Yep. Jeez I'm an old hand here if I am beginning to recognize the trolls as well ffs!
Old May 11th 2016, 10:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Yep. Jeez I'm an old hand here if I am beginning to recognize the trolls as well ffs!
He's too easy.
Old May 12th 2016, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Lagoon Rd
That's a true story- He had to go so he went in his t shirt. Everyone on the plane hated him
All I can think of is your wife and daughter. Wet t-shirt competition. Lovely.
Old May 12th 2016, 8:27 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Koh Samui (specifically Chaweng Beach). It's just Malia or Magaluf for Aussies / Japs / Koreans. It was cool, but not what I was expecting / hoping for I guess. Other parts of Samui were unreal though, so maybe it's a bit unfair.

Bangkok (the second time round) however, what a pit. Awful, dirty city full of *****. Terrible place.
Maybe just the parts you visited though. Not saying anything against you, but a city of twelve million is hard to get round all of it in a few days.
Old May 12th 2016, 8:29 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Cambodia. Other than a semi-alright couple of days in Siem Reap the place was a shithole full of beggers and middle aged western men on sex tourism trips.
But they have beer at 50 cents a glass on the beach, and every bar has a mixing bowl.what could go wrong.
On yeah, and they have 24 hour licensing too.
Old May 13th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
But they have beer at 50 cents a glass on the beach, and every bar has a mixing bowl.what could go wrong.
On yeah, and they have 24 hour licensing too.
I'm with you, I've been to Cambodia a few times and generally like it. Yeah it's got is seedier side but where is SEA doesn't? Also, the locals are waaaay more friendly (and less likely to rip you off) than Thai's for instance. Also it's relatively easy to get off the tourist / traveller trail in Cambodia.
Old May 13th 2016, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Standanista
Warsaw, the day the first McDonald's opened in 1992: queues around the block for a menu of hamburger or cheeseburger, double or single, at fine dining prices. We stayed on the 30th concrete floor of a faded grandeur ex Communist Party hotel, with a battle axe behind reception and a wall-sized black and white telly in the room which took since Jaruzelski was a lad to warm up. Gave it a couple of days then legged it to Krakow
We were in Warsaw last summer and we loved it. Everybody had told us that there was nothing to do and it was ugly but I had a blast; I loved the metropolitan vibe. I personally liked it much more than Krakow, that looked like a museum and stag party central.

Spotlessly clean and well kept, very green with lovely parks, a lot of modern towers (it looked more Dubai than Europe) malls and infrastructure (4G in the subway!) and rock bottom cheap luxury restaurants and bars (they don't have the Euro yet). Not only there were McDonald's, but it looked like there was a Nero-Costa-Starbucks in every block in the center (like in every major city today). People also seemed reasonably friendly for Eastern Europe.

A very functional city; not a dream destination but just fine to splurge a bit (you are king there with EUR-USD-GBP) for 3-4 days. We stayed at the Intercontinental with its +40th floor pool and gym overlooking the city for the price of an easyHotel in London.

Last edited by NewCaledonia; May 13th 2016 at 8:24 pm.
Old May 14th 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm with you, I've been to Cambodia a few times and generally like it. Yeah it's got is seedier side but where is SEA doesn't? Also, the locals are waaaay more friendly (and less likely to rip you off) than Thai's for instance. Also it's relatively easy to get off the tourist / traveller trail in Cambodia.
Definitely, been quite a few times and always liked it. It's also the only place in the world I've seen a pet monkey help himself to draught beer at the tap.
Old May 15th 2016, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago on a local bus in Bali the man next to me threw up his breakfast (rice and meat) into his hand and leaned across me to toss it (well, most of it) out the window. (My wife was sitting up on the step beside the driver. Lucky her.) But I have to say, it didn't spoil the trip at all - local colour and all that... I hope never to be on a plane where some idiot craps himself. Dear God!

Our room in a cheapo hotel in Kuwait in the '60s was right beside the men's washroom, and their morning ablutions were accompanied by the usual endless hawking of last night's phlegm. Also not pleasant, but again, local colour and all that...

I'm not sure we could take that sort of thing now, in our old age!
Old May 15th 2016, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Maybe just the parts you visited though. Not saying anything against you, but a city of twelve million is hard to get round all of it in a few days.
I've just written and deleted a long, long post. Mainly because it was boring.

I agree with you. I'm sure there are some excellent bits, but unfortunately the bits we did and saw and enjoyed / disliked aren't enough to ever make me want to go back and give it another shot...
Old May 15th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

There's a saying about Bangkok, well Thailand in general, (among the millions) nobody ever visits twice. It's either a one stop bucket list tick box or it gets you by the short-an-curlies. The latter in my case, just passed my 18th year. I might be 6 weeks at a time in the sandpit but The Big Mango will always be home.

It's one of my favourite holiday places too.

Worst was an odd week in caravan in a farmers field somewhere in the lake district in England with a soon to be ex. Real movie potential that was.
Old May 15th 2016, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martinbkk
There's a saying about Bangkok, well Thailand in general, (among the millions) nobody ever visits twice. It's either a one stop bucket list tick box or it gets you by the short-an-curlies. The latter in my case, just passed my 18th year. I might be 6 weeks at a time in the sandpit but The Big Mango will always be home.

It's one of my favourite holiday places too.

Worst was an odd week in caravan in a farmers field somewhere in the lake district in England with a soon to be ex. Real movie potential that was.
I'd agree on Bangkok that it's a likely one-time-visit for me. But the rest of place is worth visiting again for sure.
Old May 15th 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd agree on Bangkok that it's a likely one-time-visit for me. But the rest of place is worth visiting again for sure.
I think you really need time to appreciate Bangkok. A few days just only scratches the surface. A few months is great. Just the sheer hassle of getting around can wear you out, although it's a lot better now than it used to be. Best to not try to do too much in one day. And go with the flow.

And like anywhere in the world, being with a local, or Thai speaker makes a difference too.
Old May 16th 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Tunisia in 1990 when I was a freckly blonde haired 15 year old.

Walking around the souk getting grabbed by local men and my dad been asked if he'd like to sell me in exchange for some camels (I can't remember how many so not sure if he'd have got a good deal or not).

Oh yeah, and a boy who sold doughnuts at the hotel asking if I'd like to be "more than friends".

I didn't have a great time in Ibiza a few years previous either. That was my own fault, however, as I threw up in a mesh bin after getting food poisoning. I'd enjoyed the breaded creamy mussels at the buffet so much I decided to take some back to our room and have them the day after..... Lost a couple of stone though. Every cloud and all that.
Old May 17th 2016, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Tunisia in 1990 when I was a freckly blonde haired 15 year old.

Walking around the souk getting grabbed by local men and my dad been asked if he'd like to sell me in exchange for some camels (I can't remember how many so not sure if he'd have got a good deal or not).

Oh yeah, and a boy who sold doughnuts at the hotel asking if I'd like to be "more than friends".

I didn't have a great time in Ibiza a few years previous either. That was my own fault, however, as I threw up in a mesh bin after getting food poisoning. I'd enjoyed the breaded creamy mussels at the buffet so much I decided to take some back to our room and have them the day after..... Lost a couple of stone though. Every cloud and all that.
I lost a bit of weight in Ibiza once but it wasn't down to dodgy shellfish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.