The Worst Airlines

Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Worst Airlines

Originally Posted by co durham boy

Qatar Airways is the most overrated airline at this present time , it's a bit like Doha in general really. It promises a lot but only delivers a sub standard service at top prices .
That is the best discription of Doha, and Qatar in general that I've seen on here. It should be at the top of the 'Is it worth it?' thread as n early warning of the disappointment ahead.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
That is the best discription of Doha, and Qatar in general that I've seen on here. It should be at the top of the 'Is it worth it?' thread as n early warning of the disappointment ahead.
It's the only place on the planet where you'll see multi billionaires buying tissues and pyjama's in Carrefour !
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

LHR to DXB with BA was unutterably grim, but about half the price of Emirates. On the plus side, my luggage was only 24 hours late. Bizarrely enough their internal flight from MAN to LHR was very pleasant indeed.

Etihad - OK, though I'm wary of using their online booking system again after a foul up the last time I used it.

Emirates - the A380 is the best way to fly economy. Nothing else even comes close in my opinion.

KLM - average

Ryanair - the reasons no one mentions them is that you know it's basically a flying cattle truck so expectations are low to start with. They generally get you to where you want to go (or somewhere vaguely close) when you want to get there - on time. If the flights delayed or cancelled you're Donald Ducked though

Merpati Airlines in Indonesia were great, a 20 minute flight and they still managed to serve an in flight meal!

Basically air travel is a pretty lousy experience whichever airline you fly with. I drove from Retford to Cologne in a day a couple of weeks ago which took 12 and a half hours (including ferry crossing), and I didn't feel half as shattered as I did after a plane journey of a similar duration.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's the only place on the planet where you'll see multi billionaires buying tissues and pyjama's in Carrefour !
I think they are keepin' it real.

Of course, the tissues are for the prostitutes and the pyjamas for the maid, but we will overlook that fact.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 11th 2013 at 11:16 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinkin of Singapore Airlines ; haven't flown with them since the 90s but I recal they were the nicest back then.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Surprised that no one has mentioned Ryan Air as the worst...
Disagree. When the flight is cheaper than the train fare to the airport that balances out most of the inconveniences. If the flight's under, say, three hours I don't want to eat or drink on board (except water); everything's got to be done online, but I do everything online whenever I fly; for short-haul I don't really care where I sit; they have a good safety record. What's not to like?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Disagree. When the flight is cheaper than the train fare to the airport that balances out most of the inconveniences. If the flight's under, say, three hours I don't want to eat or drink on board (except water); everything's got to be done online, but I do everything online whenever I fly; for short-haul I don't really care where I sit; they have a good safety record. What's not to like?
With Ryan Air you're not paying a premium to recieve shit service. Qatar Airways think they're a premium airline with prices to match but fail to live up to expectations. At least Ryan Air are honest - pay little, get little. QA work on the principal of Pay a premium, get rock bottom service, staff, food, timelyness, etc,etc...
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

The way they treat their staff? All pilots are self-employed and they aren't paid that much. Most use Ryan Air as a 'starter job' and all hope to move to a bigger airline with decent pay. This from clients who are ex-Ryan Air staff and much happier for it.

Mind you, what do I know? I've never flown with a budget airline.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The way they treat their staff? All pilots are self-employed and they aren't paid that much. Most use Ryan Air as a 'starter job' and all hope to move to a bigger airline with decent pay.
Why is that a problem?

Most people early in their career have to do a starter job, where they gain experience instead of pay. It's simply part of the deal, everyone knows that's how it works and it benefits all.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Talking of budget airlines, I think that FlyDubai is bloody brilliant.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:37 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why is that a problem?

Most people early in their career have to do a starter job, where they gain experience instead of pay. It's simply part of the deal, everyone knows that's how it works and it benefits all.
You don't care how people are treated?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
You don't care how people are treated?
I see no issue with paying people less and making them work hard if they are getting experience out of it.

An analyst in a bank typically/ law firm works 80 hour weeks while the MD/partner take the reward. In return, they gain experience and move up the chain. I've done this and see no issue with it.

I also see no issue with employing the pilots on the basis you describe. They don't have to take the job.

Next up, zero hour contracts...
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see no issue with paying people less and making them work hard if they are getting experience out of it.

An analyst in a bank typically/ law firm works 80 hour weeks while the MD/partner take the reward. In return, they gain experience and move up the chain. I've done this and see no issue with it.

I also see no issue with employing the pilots on the basis you describe. They don't have to take the job.

Next up, zero hour contracts...
No wonder you're flourishing in Dubai...
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OleJanx
No wonder you're flourishing in Dubai...
There is a world of difference between the impoverished Ryan air pilot clocking up his hours so he can join a major, and a Filipino who has been duped into a 200$ a month job on the other side of the planet as things are so miserable at home.

A 21 year old audit junior in the UK works 80 hours a week for around 21k GBP (while having to study outside of work). After about four years of doing this, they earn around 70k GBP and work a 50 hour week. Do I feel sorry them? No. Did I do something similar? Yes.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is a world of difference between the impoverished Ryan air pilot clocking up his hours so he can join a major, and a Filipino who has been duped into a 200$ a month job on the other side of the planet as things are so miserable at home.

A 21 year old audit junior in the UK works 80 hours a week for around 21k GBP (while having to study outside of work). After about four years of doing this, they earn around 70k GBP and work a 50 hour week. Do I feel sorry them? No. Did I do something similar? Yes.
Ooo! Touchy! I thought you were used to my off-the-wall humour by now.
As it happens, I don't disagree with you. A lot of airlines no longer train their own pilots, but take on self funded pilots, who build up their hours to move on to more reputable airlines. It's a real Catch 22 situation, and the airline industry is far from being the only culprit .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.