British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Worshipping at the temple of Evil! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/worshipping-temple-evil-794712/)

silversilver Apr 21st 2013 7:20 pm

Worshipping at the temple of Evil!

AKA - The gym!!! Oh yes, after one too many a Dubai brunch and afternoon tea AND .... the arrival of the extremely hot weather I have finally taken the plunge and visited my local Bodyworx.

I am now the proud owner of a 15 visit flexicard - allowing access to the gym and all classes - oh I am the lucky prizewinner!

But when did exercise become so scary?? - Upon enquiring what the TRX class was I was shown a suspension band that I'm sure has been used in the world's strongest man competition to attach a person to a truck.

Needless to say I left the gym clutching my card feeling mildly sick. - Exercise completed - 0

flares Apr 22nd 2013 2:48 am

Re: Worshipping at the temple of Evil!

Get on the TRX. Really good.

scot47 Apr 22nd 2013 8:22 am

Try to avoid the fate of Andrew Marr !

Irishbeekeeper Apr 22nd 2013 4:10 pm

just have to bear through the first 7 days, trust me, then it will be fun!
a friend of mine who used to work in a gym told me of a scam common in 'gym-folks' i.e. make it SO difficult and hard for the newbie that he/she will be aching by night-time and crying the next morning so 90% would just run away hence would pay up but never return. Dont know how much of it is true though, but it makes sense though in a way doesnt it :D

LaLaLayla Apr 22nd 2013 4:45 pm

Well done on joining the gym, but you must make sure you go. And don't be scared of the TRX, it's a great way of doing a variation on push ups if you are not feeling very fit, and you can vary the intensity just by walking forwards (if it's attached to the ceiling). Apparently the TRX was invented by soldiers in Iraq.

I joined a new gym recently, uEnergy in DIFC. I am very, very happy with the place, equipment, training, service... I would highly recommend it.

silversilver Apr 22nd 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks Layla, today no gym and ate a Mars Bar! Tomorrow I'm going to attempt 'Fight Worx' - we'll see how that one goes :-)

LaLaLayla Apr 22nd 2013 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10672531)
Thanks Layla, today no gym and ate a Mars Bar! Tomorrow I'm going to attempt 'Fight Worx' - we'll see how that one goes :-)

Report back to us.

nonthaburi Apr 22nd 2013 6:53 pm

try doing a PX90 workout .

Alexa Apr 22nd 2013 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10672717)
try doing a PX90 workout .

That's P90X. Kid's play...Insanity is the way to go .:starsmile:

nonthaburi Apr 23rd 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10672761)
That's P90X. Kid's play...Insanity is the way to go .:starsmile:

depends how long you do it for !!:thumbsup:

Alexa Apr 23rd 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10673497)
depends how long you do it for !!:thumbsup:

Errm, it's a set program.

nonthaburi Apr 23rd 2013 1:05 pm

buy you can adapt it.