Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The worlds largest mall: South China Mall

The worlds largest mall: South China Mall

Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default The worlds largest mall: South China Mall

http://www.pbs.org/pov/utopia/

China needs to learn from Americas mistakes instead of trying to replicate it.

Anyway, is it just me because malls like this and Dubai mall just don't appeal to me? I just don't find visiting these places "exciting" or inspirational on any level whatsoever. They are all so artificial.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:34 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The worlds largest mall: South China Mall

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld

Anyway, is it just me because malls like this and Dubai mall just don't appeal to me? I just don't find visiting these places "exciting" or inspirational on any level whatsoever. They are all so artificial.
Saw some property developer idiot on one of the UAE TV channels the other day raving about the new multi-million sq.ft Mall of Arabia supposedly under construction here and scheduled to be the largest in the world. What is it with these people?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Saw some property developer idiot on one of the UAE TV channels the other day raving about the new multi-million sq.ft Mall of Arabia supposedly under construction here and scheduled to be the largest in the world. What is it with these people?
little cock syndrome ?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How amusing (if sad).

It's just like most of the places here - apart from the evenings they are dead. Some shops must never see a customer all day let alone sell something!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:50 am
Banned

greenheart is an unknown quantity at this point

what to do with these huge malls if they are not 'human friendly'? they stand in the earth like big monuments of greed. they tempt the people to consume. not a good place to spend time like most expatriates in dubai do nowadays.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:26 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenheart
what to do with these huge malls if they are not 'human friendly'? they stand in the earth like big monuments of greed. they tempt the people to consume. not a good place to spend time like most expatriates in dubai do nowadays.
what the **** made you resurrect this post?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Guangzhou is a lovely area- known as the Venice of China because of all the lakes, I go there 3 times a year with work and normally get a day to myself and get to go exploring. The population is over 20 million so not a small city by any means- 2 hour drive from Shanghai.

I hadn't noticed a monster mall there - although may be as its all written in Chinese! I'll have to have a look when I'm there next. Apart from the fact I do all my shopping in Hong Kong as its sooo much cheaper!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:30 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
little cock syndrome ?
..though not everyone has a little cock...

Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all malls are bad....

I rather like the Dubai Mall. It's very well designed from a design perspective, the quality of materials is topnotch and serious money was spent on the design of the individual shops as well.

The place is generally packed most of the time, especially now that it's so hot. I don't mind wasting a hour at the bookstore and then drifting over to the food court for a drink or getting a gelato somewhere. A decent way to kill 2-3 hours on a hot summer night.

Never liked Festival City because it's dark inside, and couldn't figure out why they didn't build the mall right on the damn creek itself instead of hiding it behind an half empty building. Was in there recently and noticed that quite a few shops in the more out of way corridors have closed.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:52 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

An advantage of large, rambling malls in the middle east is that you can get away from the suffering heat and take long strolls (exercise) in the malls.