British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Worlds, are the islands losing their definition? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/worlds-islands-losing-their-definition-652676/)

Boomhauer Feb 2nd 2010 6:10 pm

The Worlds, are the islands losing their definition?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nking-sea.html

The DailyMail says that NASA picture suggests the islands are losing their form.

Anyone on the ground got any info to add?

Patsy Stoned Feb 2nd 2010 6:53 pm

Re: The Worlds, are the islands losing their definition?

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 8305453)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nking-sea.html

The DailyMail says that NASA picture suggests the islands are losing their form.

Anyone on the ground got any info to add?

I went on a seaplane trip and we flew over the world and they just looked like little blobs..no world definition at all. None of the islands are occupied..except for Shk Mo's lovely green island with a large villa and lots of trees on it!

Boomhauer Feb 2nd 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8305588)
I went on a seaplane trip and we flew over the world and they just looked like little blobs..no world definition at all. None of the islands are occupied..except for Shk Mo's lovely green island with a large villa and lots of trees on it!

Have the islands been degrading though?
Wasn't Schumacher given an island?

weescot Feb 3rd 2010 4:27 am

Oh dear ... comparing the artist impression and the NASA pic, I would say they are losing their definition, although hard to tell without a proper image taken when the foundations were complete. India is now three islands in the middle of the Indian ocean and Australia has gone psychedelic..

shiva Feb 3rd 2010 6:10 am

it doesnt look like they are sinking or losing form yet.
I recall the image released a while ago when they announced completion and it looked just as shite as that one. It seems that it has just take the mail a few months to realise that, as everything in dubai, the finished product seldom resembles the pretty pre sales images.

i do wonder though why they decide to make them look quite so shit from the air, surely a plan change could have been made that at least bore a resemblance to a map of the globe whilst allowing for the reality of building the stupid things

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8307015)
it doesnt look like they are sinking or losing form yet.
I recall the image released a while ago when they announced completion and it looked just as shite as that one. It seems that it has just take the mail a few months to realise that, as everything in dubai, the finished product seldom resembles the pretty pre sales images.

i do wonder though why they decide to make them look quite so shit from the air, surely a plan change could have been made that at least bore a resemblance to a map of the globe whilst allowing for the reality of building the stupid things

I agree without a before image the after is pretty meaningless.

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2010 6:56 am

I LOVE this comment:

I am for the Dubai Globe, and Dubai full stop.

Some truly dreadful people have moved there - Anthea Turner and her husband for a start, and for some of the time all sorts of footballers and z-listers are there, and Noel Edmonds.

If Dubai sinks, they will be back here FULL TIME. Ideally they would all go down with the islands, but life can be so unfair, I think, and before we know it they will all be writing their autobiographies and droning on about how they were living the dream life that became a nightmare.

Hello.Kitty Feb 3rd 2010 8:51 am

interesting to see from those images the kind of currents that the artificial breakwaters create though - both in The World and on The Palm.

But yes, it looks terrible from the air, which, lets face it, is the only way it's meant to be views. Someone got the setting-out wrong!

Jeeper Feb 3rd 2010 3:24 pm

Ok - pedantic but that's me but...

The first photo..."as seen here from space"....what a croc....
"Photo taken by an astronaut in the space staion"

That photo shows roads, and roundabouts individual breakwaters etc etc that are simply NOT visible from Space.

The photo is so zoomed in it's effectively a photo 'as seen from an altitude of a half dozen km's....Sure, maybe it's a satellite image...but it's hardly an 'as seen from space' photo..

The second to last image in the article is how it looks from space....you can't even see Dubai!!! let alone f'n roundabouts.

Pedentic....yes - i only thought of it as the article makes a big deal about mentioning the space aspect of it.

Roadking Feb 3rd 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8308569)
Ok - pedantic but that's me but...

The first photo..."as seen here from space"....what a croc....
"Photo taken by an astronaut in the space staion"

That photo shows roads, and roundabouts individual breakwaters etc etc that are simply NOT visible from Space.

The photo is so zoomed in it's effectively a photo 'as seen from an altitude of a half dozen km's....Sure, maybe it's a satellite image...but it's hardly an 'as seen from space' photo..

The second to last image in the article is how it looks from space....you can't even see Dubai!!! let alone f'n roundabouts.

Pedentic....yes - i only thought of it as the article makes a big deal about mentioning the space aspect of it.

Being pedantic, OK but that's you, by virtue of the fact that they are satellites and orbit the planet outwith the normal gravitional pull, doesn't that make them in "space".

Boomhauer Feb 4th 2010 12:58 am

SO anyone know of a link to pics of the Islands before work stopped on them?I googled a bit but most everything seems to be artistic impression .

There is this picture purportedly from Jan 2008 , that shows a level of progress. Can't find a pic that shows The Worlds with all islands completed (just the form) prior to abandonment.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

All that dredging sure makes the surrounding waters look odd with those areas of lighter water that almost looks like effluent though obviously just underwater unnatural deposit of sand.

Here is a London Times article from Sep 2009
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D40%26um%3D1

“The World has been cancelled. It doesn’t even look like the world. Basically there is one island that is maintained that is said to be owned by the Sheikh [Dubai’s ruler] and the rest looks like a pile of muck,” said one local property agent.

Jeeper Feb 4th 2010 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8309267)
Being pedantic, OK but that's you, by virtue of the fact that they are satellites and orbit the planet outwith the normal gravitional pull, doesn't that make them in "space".

Duh....I accepted the photo may be taken from space but it's zoomed in such that it's not an 'as viewed from space photo".

If you viewed the palm from space you wouldn't see it like that is my point.