British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   World Book Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/world-book-day-827664/)

Meow Mar 6th 2014 7:46 am

World Book Day

Today is World Book Day, as anyone with children will no doubt know as it's a big thing in schools. Anything that encourages a love of books is to be welcomed, but what books did you love most as a child?

I was a bookworm and my list included:

All the Nancy Drew stories
The Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Anything by Dr Seuss as I read them to my younger brother
What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables
All the Doctor Doolittle books

What books did you love?

Bahtatboy Mar 6th 2014 7:53 am

Re: World Book Day

101 Things To Do
The Animal Kingdom
Stanley Gibbons
Anything by Jack Wild
Gore Vidal's short stories and articles

NorthernLad Mar 6th 2014 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11160614)
Today is World Book Day, as anyone with children will no doubt know as it's a big thing in schools. Anything that encourages a love of books is to be welcomed, but what books did you love most as a child?

What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables

What books did you love?

All the Roald Dahl books, although 'Boy' was one of my favourites.

I also like the 'Choose your own adventure' series.

Millsyisland Mar 6th 2014 8:33 am

All the Narnia stories, not just the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe (the first book in the series, the Magician's Nephew, is always unfairly neglected in my opinion), a few Roald Dahl, obviously including the Willy Wonka stories, Danny the Champion of the World, James and the Giant Peach etc. Mr Men when I was much younger and the Richard Scarry (?) busy town stories/picture books.

Millhouse Mar 6th 2014 9:43 am

I only discovered reading about a year or so ago. Hated it as a kid, could barely read too.

Lovely to hear Mini-millhouse put on his bedroom light after bedtime so he can do some more reading each night.

OleJanx Mar 6th 2014 10:19 am

Swallows and Amazons, Roald Dahl, Enid Blighted and The Hardy Boys are ones I can remember off hand. Usual stuff, I suppose for many.

flares Mar 6th 2014 11:29 am

Mog the forgetful cat

DesertOcean Mar 6th 2014 12:07 pm

The usual stuff but the most profound book that I read as a kid was 'The Giving Tree'. Should be required reading for every college grad, lol.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 9th 2014 4:37 am

Of Mice and Men
Stig of the Dump
Can't remember what it was called but was about some lads on the Falklands who found a wounded Argie soldier and tried to help/hide him.
Goosebumps, could smash through one in an afternoon.
The ones where mice and badgers were armies, can't remember for the life of me the names but they were enthralling.
Anything revolving around war and submarines and covert ops and things, like Bravo two Helmet, Tom Clancy's stuff, that kind of thing.

Robajob Mar 9th 2014 4:48 am

The Otterbury Incident

nonthaburi Mar 9th 2014 5:23 am

Tintin.

Big_Show Mar 9th 2014 8:20 am

As well as all the Asterix & Tintin books, I also read the Dr Doolittle & Chronicles of narnia loads of times when I was growing up. Still got them on my shelf somewhere years later, waiting to be passed on to my nephew when he's old enough.

Emaaraat2014 Mar 9th 2014 8:34 am

The Pearl.

Dorothy Mar 9th 2014 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11160614)

What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables

What books did you love?

You could be me. I loved all those books.

When I was growing up my parents used to take my sisters and one of my brothers to my aunt and uncle's cottage. Our treat was that we each got to buy one comic book to take. I always got a Betty & Veronica, my sisters got Archie and my brother always got a Batman or Superman comic. By the end of the weekend we would have all read them all dozens of times.

My daughter was and still is a voracious reader. My son never really liked reading much but did like the Captain Underpants books when he was little.

Blue Cat Mar 10th 2014 12:16 pm

Nancy Drew was my favourite, and the Famous 5 :)