Workload

Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workload

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Wow, Who's this weapon?

Since we become persona non grata here New cars have tanked and everyone needs used ones. Business was so good I actually set up my own company hence the lack of action on here....... That said i'm in here today so its a little quiet this week........
You're in Doha, right?

That's because everyone is leaving Doha and taking their favourite kitchen sink with them.

Why do people bother buying cars when uber and taxi are so cheap?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:17 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You're in Doha, right?

That's because everyone is leaving Doha and taking their favourite kitchen sink with them.

Why do people bother buying cars when uber and taxi are so cheap?
Convenience is the simple answer. Much easier to jump in your car and pop to the shops or stop on way home than rely on Taxis. Also some people want 4x4s to go to the beach at the weekend or if they have little kids a Taxi is a pain in the arse.

If you're single and life revolves around work and hotels I can see your point.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you're single and life revolves around work and hotels I can see your point.
Yep. That's me.

I just find uber/taxi cheap as chips, much cheaper than in the UAE that it surprises me anyone bothers with owning or even renting a car. Driving standards are mental and I say this as someone who lived in the UAE before moving to Doha and did the Dubai-Abu Dhabi speedway regularly.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

By the way, to Scamp and all and sundry who might be reading, looks like there's an excellent chance I may be leaving Doha in the next few months. HQ in UK has quietly asked me if I would be willing to relocate back home to replace someone who isn't performing to expectations.

And work is drying up in the Doha office anyway.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Since we become persona non grata here New cars have tanked and everyone needs used ones. Business was so good I actually set up my own company hence the lack of action on here....... That said i'm in here today so its a little quiet this week........
When you visiting the modern world again next? Should have a beer soon.

By the way, to Scamp and all and sundry who might be reading, looks like there's an excellent chance I may be leaving Doha in the next few months. HQ in UK has quietly asked me if I would be willing to relocate back home to replace someone who isn't performing to expectations.

And work is drying up in the Doha office anyway.
Interesting.
Is it worth going? Something you fancy doing?
Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:10 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. That's me.

I just find uber/taxi cheap as chips, much cheaper than in the UAE that it surprises me anyone bothers with owning or even renting a car. Driving standards are mental and I say this as someone who lived in the UAE before moving to Doha and did the Dubai-Abu Dhabi speedway regularly.
In your position its totally the right thing to do. The prices are the same here though the distances are 10x shorter - Its a rarity if a cab costs me more that 20 chips
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:13 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Scamp
When you visiting the modern world again next? Should have a beer soon.

Been having my sanity breaks in Muscat following the toy slinging match. As soon as normal backstabbing open comms are resumed ill be over in a flash
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting.
Is it worth going? Something you fancy doing?
Good luck
Yes. I'm tired of the GCC anyway. Saved my money. Why say no to an opportunity to go back to the UK with a great job in place? Avoids the whole faffing around unemployed for half a year looking for work.

Timing is undecided, however. Could happen in two months, could be towards end of year.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Been having my sanity breaks in Muscat following the toy slinging match. As soon as normal backstabbing open comms are resumed ill be over in a flash
Good stuff. Hopefully soon but could be light years eh.

Yes. I'm tired of the GCC anyway. Saved my money. Why say no to an opportunity to go back to the UK with a great job in place? Avoids the whole faffing around unemployed for half a year looking for work.

Timing is undecided, however. Could happen in two months, could be towards end of year.
Fair enough, it's a smart move if goals are achieved and there's a smooth transition.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, I think too long in Qatar was going to turn you into a bitter old queen
Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Good for you, I think too long in Qatar was going to turn you into a bitter old queen
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
There was that risk. Glad to be getting out soon.

Truth be told next year was my cut off date. June 2019 at the latest. I've seen what happens to people who stay in the GCC too long. Just look at Millhouse.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:04 am
Account Closed

There was that risk. Glad to be getting out soon.

Truth be told next year was my cut off date. June 2019 at the latest. I've seen what happens to people who stay in the GCC too long. Just look at Millhouse.
How long have you been here now?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

How long have you been here now?
I first came to the UAE in January 2008 following several short term work assignments (a few weeks at a time) in 2006/2007. Then was transferred permanently and lived in Dubai 2008 - 2013. Went back to UK. Then company sent me out to Abu Dhabi in January 2015. Then Doha December 2016.

Boomeranged a bit eh?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:14 am
Account Closed

I first came to the UAE in January 2008 following several short term work assignments (a few weeks at a time) in 2006/2007. Then was transferred permanently and lived in Dubai 2008 - 2013. Went back to UK. Then company sent me out to Abu Dhabi in January 2015. Then Doha December 2016.

Boomeranged a bit eh?
Bit of back and forth indeed. Good fun though right?
Feel different to when you first came?

I've just ticked over 7 years here and it's disappeared frankly.
I think back to what I was like when I first arrived and wonder how I'm still alive and managing to do alright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.