British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Working with the local culture - need top tips please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/working-local-culture-need-top-tips-please-826532/)

al dente Feb 24th 2014 12:32 pm

Working with the local culture - need top tips please.

What were the main culture shocks?

How do you raise tricky subjects?

All meetings appear to be about making consensus decisions. How do you get informed about everything before you go to the meetings, or is that bad form?

The Dean Feb 25th 2014 2:07 am

Re: Working with the local culture - need top tips please.

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11145446)
What were the main culture shocks?

How do you raise tricky subjects?

All meetings appear to be about making consensus decisions. How do you get informed about everything before you go to the meetings, or is that bad form?

In meetings, behave exactly as you would in your home country - you are not being employed because you are the same as all the locals, you are being employed because you bring NON-local skills with you.

Blue Cat Feb 25th 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 11146747)
In meetings, behave exactly as you would in your home country - you are not being employed because you are the same as all the locals, you are being employed because you bring NON-local skills with you.

:goodpost:

Millhouse Feb 25th 2014 5:14 am

Come on guys, that is only 50% true.

We all know that the first few minutes of a meeting should be about drinking tea and asking about family. If I'm doing a long-day of project negotiations etc, I'll take chocolates etc. None of this I would do in the UK.

the_red_sheep Feb 25th 2014 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11146940)
Come on guys, that is only 50% true.

We all know that the first few minutes of a meeting should be about drinking tea and asking about family. If I'm doing a long-day of project negotiations etc, I'll take chocolates etc. None of this I would do in the UK.

The first five minutes of a meeting is spent wondering where the **** everyone else is, as although it was scheduled to start 5 minutes ago no other ****er has managed to turn up yet. The next 5 minutes is waiting for everyone who has managed to turn up to finish their calls/fannying about on their phones. The next 5 minutes is waiting for them to finish shaking hands, kissing and patting each other on the back.

al dente Feb 25th 2014 5:31 am

Will take chocolates for the next big meeting, that's a top tip. What about talking about difficult subjects? Such as paying their bills and pricing? I am a bridge between them and non emirati partners? Should I be upfront or roundabout?

Millhouse Feb 25th 2014 5:35 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11146953)
Will take chocolates for the next big meeting, that's a top tip. What about talking about difficult subjects? Such as paying their bills and pricing? I am a bridge between them and non emirati partners? Should I be upfront or roundabout?

Don't do the dirty washing in public. Any criticism (even if well intended) needs to be done one to one (several times if needed). Doing it in public will make them defensive - loss of face and all that.

I would raise the bill as a matter of fact in the group but in a non-accusingly way - then do the one on one lobbying.

Try and get them to explain their issues and expand on them - while giving ideas. basis 101 consulting really.

Maxima Feb 25th 2014 6:08 am

Do not use any word or expression that you cannot type on this forum.

Millhouse Feb 25th 2014 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 11146976)
Do not use any word or expression that you cannot type on this forum.

Why have they all been burnt by shady financial advisors too?

al dente Feb 25th 2014 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11146991)
Why have they all been burnt by shady financial advisors too?

Not call them stupid ****ing ***** then? Just as well as I don't think they are. Just more of a crafty persuasion.