British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   working hours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/working-hours-735951/)

Kim67 Oct 18th 2011 7:56 am

Re: working hours

I work whenever there's work in my inbox. Yesterday did a couple of hours in the morning, then checked my inbox at 10pm before bed and worked til 1.30am. Got up at 6.30am and did the school run and then came home and did a couple hours of official work, back to the school and ballet run this arvo and now home to cook dinner and no doubt my inbox will start filling again about 8.30pm tonight and will do a couple of hours before bed.

My husband works from home too and he usually works from about 10am through the night til about 4-5am the next morning.

mentalist Oct 18th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9680941)
My husband works from...about 10am through the night til about 4-5am the next morning.

Please tell me that you are joking.:eek:

littlejimmy Oct 18th 2011 8:15 am

I was doing 6.30am to 6pm, 6 days (666!) a week when I was last in the UAE. It didn't last...

Now doing 8.30am - 5pm Mon to Fri, but have found another potential income stream that means I write for two or three hours at home every night as well.

Kim67 Oct 18th 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9680945)
Please tell me that you are joking.:eek:

No, he does that seven days a week most weeks. He came to bed this morning about 5am for his first sleep in two days. He's always been an insomniac but now he works for himself he's even worse.

Millhouse Oct 18th 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9680971)
No, he does that seven days a week most weeks. He came to bed this morning about 5am for his first sleep in two days. He's always been an insomniac but now he works for himself he's even worse.

I'd dread to think what his output is like...

Sandboy Oct 18th 2011 9:25 am

used to be 7.30 til whatever time in the good old days - tend to leave at 5 now the construction industry is closed

we're employing more Arabs these days, funny to see them competing to see who can stay latest

kittycat1 Oct 18th 2011 9:36 am

Kim- thats sucks- I hope your hubby is looking after himself, I have always suffered with insominia- especially badly when I was self employed- I just found it impossible to switch off- I can remember one 3 week period where I got 3 hours kip a night maximum- the last 72 hours were done on red bull alone- which then went into a 6 month period without a day off working 18 hours a day. It was only at my leaving do that a few close friends told me how worried they had been and how exhausted I was looking. As soon as I took a day off I fell ill. I look back at pictures of myself when I was working those hours and where I am now and as much as I love my job I am enjoying life a lot more now and I sleep for 8 hours- which I have never done before ad it feels soooooooooooo good! Funny how my priorities have changed since being here.

norsk Oct 18th 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9681047)
I'd dread to think what his output is like...

what output? he's probably on britishexpats for 90% of that time..:p

Kim67 Oct 18th 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9681085)
Kim- thats sucks- I hope your hubby is looking after himself, I have always suffered with insominia- especially badly when I was self employed- I just found it impossible to switch off- I can remember one 3 week period where I got 3 hours kip a night maximum- the last 72 hours were done on red bull alone- which then went into a 6 month period without a day off working 18 hours a day. It was only at my leaving do that a few close friends told me how worried they had been and how exhausted I was looking. As soon as I took a day off I fell ill. I look back at pictures of myself when I was working those hours and where I am now and as much as I love my job I am enjoying life a lot more now and I sleep for 8 hours- which I have never done before ad it feels soooooooooooo good! Funny how my priorities have changed since being here.

Yeah, he's fine, it's just in some people's nature not to be able to switch off when they have something to do. Fridays he tends to get a good ten hour sleep because Australia is winding down for the weekend and the UAE is off for the day so he can recharge his batteries. I've just gotten used to the fact in 20 years that he doesn't sleep much, it runs in his family.

Kim67 Oct 18th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9681259)
what output? he's probably on britishexpats for 90% of that time..:p

Nah, he doesn't have time for that, he runs his business as well as being the Australian President of the foundation for an inherited genetic disease and runs their patient support group. He also has a number of other personal projects on the go and so has a number of forums of his own that he moderates - no time for BE for him. He'd rather hang out with the kids in his downtime.

UKCityGent Oct 18th 2011 11:19 am

Typical ministry hours

The offical times are 7:30 - 3:30 (S-W) then 7-30-2:30 (Thursday) with 45 mins for lunch

However reality is 8-3 (S-W) and 8-2 (Thursday) with 45 mins for lunch

northbadawi Oct 18th 2011 11:41 am

Official and real:
7:30 - 3:30 (Sat-Wed), 8:00 - 16:00 during Ramadan
OFF (Thu, Fri)
No lunch break (I use during Dhuhr praytime)

30 calendar days vacation + one day off during each Eid + National day + King's return from medical treatment day.