Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:58 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Dubai under foreign contract

Originally Posted by Confucius
Right...So let's firstly start with your priorities, by critical importance as you stated earlier:
1 - Alcohol license
2 - Driving license
3 - Bank account (to pay for the alcohol license)
4 - Accomodation

So I take it that food is not important, and also female companionship is not important...
With the right amount of booze, food is secondary and usually involves shawarma on the way home. Female company; guys are more attrractive after 12 pints, aren't they?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
With the right amount of booze, food is secondary and usually involves shawarma on the way home. Female company; guys are more attrractive after 12 pints, aren't they?
Make love to the bottle then...
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

goldcoast75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
OP,

I'm intruiged - why don't you want to stay as a resident with al of the tax advantages - there are reasons in terms of European employment - is it that or have youfound a new angle?

Good luck by the way!
The tax advantages come into play when you get your salary paid in Dubai from a local company. I will be working with an Italian contract and subject to Italian taxation ( around 50%!!!!). Also moving my residency to another country will mess up my tax regime in Italy so I have to maintain my residency in Italy. Accommodation will be sorted out by my employer ( they will rent it out through the local franchisee I suppose) and as for bank account I guess I will be paid into my Italian bank account. Truth is that I will not be working for a local company but for an Italian company. I will be offering support to the local company who is responsible for operations in Dubai but my job will be to make sure the local company implements and understands the logics of the brand correctly.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:58 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoast75
The tax advantages come into play when you get your salary paid in Dubai from a local company. I will be working with an Italian contract and subject to Italian taxation ( around 50%!!!!). Also moving my residency to another country will mess up my tax regime in Italy so I have to maintain my residency in Italy. Accommodation will be sorted out by my employer ( they will rent it out through the local franchisee I suppose) and as for bank account I guess I will be paid into my Italian bank account. Truth is that I will not be working for a local company but for an Italian company. I will be offering support to the local company who is responsible for operations in Dubai but my job will be to make sure the local company implements and understands the logics of the brand correctly.
I'm also confused. One of the main advantages to working in the Middle East is the tax free status. Messing up your tax regime in Italy sounds a wonderful idea when you pay 50% tax. I'd do anything to avoid that if I could. For several years I worked here for a UK company and was paid into my UK bank account. However, I had expat status from a tax perspective, so had no tax liability. Sounds insane to miss out on that, but guess you know your own circumstances best. OK that's it, now I need a beer!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

you still would need a visa to work here, you will need to look into the mission visa, which gives you 3 months 'legality'.