Work Travel

Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Work Travel

Originally Posted by mikewot
OK so which is the best credit card to use to gain miles? Emirates NDB gets a good press from the folks at work, any other suggestions?
Citibank is linked to my skywards.

mile per buck spent I think.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:44 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Carbon offset isn't necessarily buying / trading in carbon credits (which is pointless). We plant trees !
Some one plants trees and sells the carbon offsets to you ? Or you actually plant trees?

I like to think I am providing fuel credits to create the market for carbon credits.

To answer the question though; 75% of the travel is unnecessary and due in part to the fact that (already mentioned) no one can really be trusted and you need to physically see them face to face.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Aug 1st 2012 at 8:46 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:44 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by typical
I still like both premium cabins on the A380 though. First in A380 is the only cabin of any plane on any airline I can guarantee to sleep through a whole flight in.
The A380 seats are the best EK has but confined to only that aircraft whereas by contrast, all new Etihad aircraft are fitted with a very similar set-up to the EK A380 J seat. You are and will continue to be far more likely to be on a 777 when flying EK than any other aircraft. Emirates are the only ones who have 7 across in business on the 777: even the cruddy American carriers only have 6 across, many have only 5 or 4. And in Economy only EK squeeze in 10 seats across in the 777 versus 9 across for most others.

Originally Posted by typical
Not any more. People flying Easyjet out of Gatwick killed it, from what I heard.
Sad but not surprising... First lounges in LHR/LGW are entirely for Gold card holders anyway, I guess, as paying F passengers can use the Concorde lounge. EK could do something similar but they're not going to, apparently. I do much prefer the BA (and CX and SQ and AF) approach of having a few lounges available at different areas of the airport rather than the EK Dubai mega-cattle-station with some very long walks to some gates (and to get in and out of the lounge). Apparently this will be taken to an even further extreme in Concourse 3 with one enormous business lounge the size (and comfort and service, no doubt) of a bloody football stadium.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
EK Dubai mega-cattle-station with some very long walks to some gates (and to get in and out of the lounge). Apparently this will be taken to an even further extreme in Concourse 3 with one enormous business lounge the size (and comfort and service, no doubt) of a bloody football stadium.
I don't pay to fly business. Nor do I get flights provided (at any level).

The couple of times I have upgraded on the cheap I've used to EK lounge at Dubai.

Yeah it's massive, yeah it's full of ***********s (me included) but it's still 'free' beer and grub.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:56 am

That wasn't the question. I was interested in knowing simply as (I think that) the amount of travel done by those in the MENA region is unnecessary and excessive. In London/ Europe we traveled far less and did pretty much the same job.

Anyway good of you to boast about your 8th Gold renewal... I can see why you're not I/O though
When you offer me the stage, I simply must perform..... And my lack of I/O is clearly down to the same boneheadedness at EK that has resulted in their crappy seat designs and awful Dubai lounges.

Actually I was mentioning the 8th renewal more in resignation than anything. And it was a more concise way of indicating that I do fly quite a bit than listing my (nevertheless fascinating) schedule.

I'm not sure I observe people travelling more here than elsewhere - that was something I noticed in the US more than anywhere else (perhaps moreso before domestic US air travel became complete and utter hell, versus the mere purgatory it used to be). As everybody has to fly to get here in the first place and comes with an eventual plan to leave I guess flying is more in the DNA but I don't notice (and as a noted trip-dodger) don't indulge in any more superfluous travel than anywhere else.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't pay to fly business. Nor do I get flights provided (at any level).

The couple of times I have upgraded on the cheap I've used to EK lounge at Dubai.

Yeah it's massive, yeah it's full of ***********s (me included) but it's still 'free' beer and grub.
But not nearly as nice as other airline lounges, including Emirates' own "away" lounges at out-station airports, which are really nice...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Some one plants trees and sells the carbon offsets to you ? Or you actually plant trees?
I believe we pay someone to plant trees. As an institution I don't think we believe in this whole buying credits game.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:02 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently this will be taken to an even further extreme in Concourse 3 with one enormous business lounge the size (and comfort and service, no doubt) of a bloody football stadium.
Only for A380 and that lounge will have direct entry to the appropriate area of the aircraft so you don't need to mingle with the economy scum any more.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I believe we pay someone to plant trees. As an institution I don't think we believe in this whole buying credits game.
Nobody does really but you would if you got into the selling credits game.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mikewot
??
Invitation Only - what it says on the tin: a discretionary (and discrete) level above Gold that can't be "earned" only offered to people Emirates considers very important (not necessarily frequent travellers, at least commercially). It's like BA Premier or Delta Flying Colonels to list the only other examples I know. You might spot their specially painted Land Rovers at the airport sometimes (providing a chauffeur service even if you're in economy).
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:11 am
Account Closed

But not nearly as nice as other airline lounges, including Emirates' own "away" lounges at out-station airports, which are really nice...
No agree. But it's not a shitpit like the ones we used to go in with my Dad using his Priority Pass thing.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:19 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Invitation Only - what it says on the tin: a discretionary (and discrete) level above Gold that can't be "earned".
Ah! Mercy Buckets!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp
No agree. But it's not a shitpit like the ones we used to go in with my Dad using his Priority Pass thing.
Still plenty of them about - take a bow Servisair lounges everywhere and an honourable mention for the Marhaba lounge in Dubai T1...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Still plenty of them about - take a bow Servisair lounges everywhere and an honourable mention for the Marhaba lounge in Dubai T1...
There's a shitty one at Muscat, too. Can't remember the name, but full of old, cheap, nasty and torn sofas and stale food.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
There's a shitty one at Muscat, too. Can't remember the name, but full of old, cheap, nasty and torn sofas and stale food.
Cairo (any terminal).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.