Work Explosions

Old May 30th 2017, 3:26 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Explosions

I like to think that I am generally unflappable, at the coal face of construction makes you pretty adept at managing the daily calamities of any project.

However I am currently on a reasonably stressful project with a micromanaging client who is incredibly difficult to work with or build any kind of rapport. I have to say it has become a tedious experience, and for the first time I have experienced dread going to work on some days.

Anyhow last week I had a couple of days sick leave (thanks to food poisoning) which gave me a chance to think and reset my compass a bit. I was the proverbial frog in the increasing temperature water but hadn't noticed. A couple of days to clear your head and get your perspective back is a great de-stressing tool, though you can do it with the trots also. Even the very act of me describing my client as difficult is a way of identifying a problem and gaining proper perspective.

In my younger years I would have blown up a few times a year as my safety valve triggered, but that's probably a lot more acceptable on a building site than the quiet confines of an office.

..and breathe

Last edited by weasel decentral; May 30th 2017 at 3:42 am.
Old May 30th 2017, 3:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
As for joining in / trying to change others / screwing people over / or cutting off nose to spite your face ... as Mikey J once said: take a look at yourself and make that change.
I agree with this except for the screwing people over, if they have attempted to screw you over then they are fair game. In my mind part of good management includes having to do that where required, for the greater good and all that

This week I am going to drop an atom bomb on one particular c-unit
Old May 30th 2017, 4:43 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

And never, never expect love in return, or at least not anything different from the type you can buy at the York. The girls there have far more morals than most any corporation I've come across.
This. So much this.
Old May 30th 2017, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is be nice to everyone as you rise, you never know when they might be needed. Arseholes are everywhere, slag them off to your missus. Build a voodoo doll.
Old May 30th 2017, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Firstly, thanks all.
MAT - didn't quote you but you're saying what I'm thinking when calmer.

Originally Posted by Meow
Many times I have wondered if being smart and ambitious is what can lead to frustration.
Yup, being treated like an idiot / child because your age is lower than the average is incredibly frustrating...It's hard to not sound like an arrogant jumped up **** but I'm really not bad at what I do and have done it for a decade now. I spend more time telling people how to do it than anything else, yet still have 'stakeholders' (lets be general) who want to just be helmets.

Unless you can afford to financially, don't. Without doubt another door would open as the one behind you slams, but its far better to have half-opened a few first.

And never, never expect love in return.
I can afford to for a period but don't want to waste savings so won't.
Yeah. I'm trying to settle myself to expect very little. But I don't feel I should settle for very little, but other opportunities are limited in the market unless I go back to sales side, which feels like a step back. This is the dilemma.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Never gone nuts at work. Never will. Had people shout at me and a couple of times I've shown more frustration than I would have liked at times but generally have play it cool.

As for joining in / trying to change others / screwing people over / or cutting off nose to spite your face ... as Mikey J once said: take a look at yourself and make that change.
I can show frustration but never let it boil over. To date I've never done anything I'm ashamed of, apart from the odd day where I do **** all work and just surf the net but it hurts me more than them, I'm bored and end up sad that I've wasted a day.

Good point though. I don't wish to be nasty.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Anyhow last week I had a couple of days sick leave (thanks to food poisoning) which gave me a chance to think and reset my compass a bit. I was the proverbial frog in the increasing temperature water but hadn't noticed. A couple of days to clear your head and get your perspective back is a great de-stressing tool, though you can do it with the trots also.
More good advice.

I'm going on leave tomorrow afternoon for the first time this year. 3 days in the UK with my Mum. Hopefully will help.
Old May 30th 2017, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
My advice is be nice to everyone as you rise, you never know when they might be needed. Arseholes are everywhere, slag them off to your missus. Build a voodoo doll.
Hmm. Quite.
Slagging off on here has been might helpful / productive.
I've actually done work today to get on before I have a few days away. There are only 5 unread emails in my inbox
Thanks.
Old May 30th 2017, 10:38 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Hmm. Quite.
Slagging off on here has been might helpful / productive.
I've actually done work today to get on before I have a few days away. There are only 5 unread emails in my inbox
Thanks.
What about your BE forum duties while you are away?
Old May 30th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i did 'explode'...not verbally...but via an email to my FD (Financial Director). A few weeks later i was made 'redundant' with 3 months notice pay, plus a further 3 months redundancy pay (all tax free).....with my skills and personality i foundd another position within a couple of weeks.....so i was laughing all the way to the bank
PS this was back in 2005
Old May 30th 2017, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
What about your BE forum duties while you are away?
Someone else can be the butt of jokes.

Originally Posted by mission
i did 'explode'...not verbally...but via an email to my FD (Financial Director). A few weeks later i was made 'redundant' with 3 months notice pay, plus a further 3 months redundancy pay (all tax free).....with my skills and personality i foundd another position within a couple of weeks.....so i was laughing all the way to the bank
PS this was back in 2005
Did you go on holiday with all the extra cash?
Old May 31st 2017, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp....Scamp..... This only happened in 2005, she is still deciding where to go :-)
Old May 31st 2017, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charl01
Scamp....Scamp..... This only happened in 2005, she is still deciding where to go :-)
ufff...bog off you both
Old May 31st 2017, 9:59 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by mission
PS this was back in 2005
Why was the notice pay tax free?
Old May 31st 2017, 11:08 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Redundancy pay is in the UK.
Old May 31st 2017, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

cos da ho woz in dobi innit.
Old May 31st 2017, 12:57 pm
Knee deep and rising

Redundancy pay is in the UK.
Notice pay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.