Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Woman dies after loss of passport at Doha airport

Woman dies after loss of passport at Doha airport

Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woman dies after loss of passport at Doha airport

A traumatised Indian housemaid, who was stranded in a transit lounge of Muscat airport for five days after losing her passport at the Doha airport, died while being taken to Bin Sina Psychiatric Hospital late on Friday.

The passenger, identified as Beebi Lumada, 40, was travelling from Muscat to Chennai via Doha by Qatar Airways last Sunday but lost her passport while in transit at the Doha airport.

"When her passport was not found, she was sent back to the port of origin — Muscat," a Qatar Airways' official told Gulf News on the condition of anonymity. He said that the airline followed the regulations in sending her back to the place of origin.

The housemaid had cancelled her Oman residence visa and was returning home. Since she didn't carry her passport, she was not allowed to re-enter Muscat by Oman's immigration authorities.

"We informed immigration about the situation and also intimated the Indian Embassy on Monday," he added.

"We were given repeated assurances that the embassy officials would come and visit the stranded passenger but there was no visit even after requests from the airport police," the airline officials said. The airline even tried in vain to contact the stranded passenger's sponsor.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/w...rport-1.694040
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:12 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woman dies after loss of passport at Doha airport

don't ever lose your passport or you'll die...
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

certainly in Doha Aiport!!! it seems.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:47 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
don't ever lose your passport or you'll die...
It's a harsh lesson ofr us all.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:48 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
A traumatised Indian housemaid, who was stranded in a transit lounge of Muscat airport for five days after losing her passport at the Doha airport, died while being taken to Bin Sina Psychiatric Hospital late on Friday.

The passenger, identified as Beebi Lumada, 40, was travelling from Muscat to Chennai via Doha by Qatar Airways last Sunday but lost her passport while in transit at the Doha airport.

"When her passport was not found, she was sent back to the port of origin — Muscat," a Qatar Airways' official told Gulf News on the condition of anonymity. He said that the airline followed the regulations in sending her back to the place of origin.

The housemaid had cancelled her Oman residence visa and was returning home. Since she didn't carry her passport, she was not allowed to re-enter Muscat by Oman's immigration authorities.

"We informed immigration about the situation and also intimated the Indian Embassy on Monday," he added.

"We were given repeated assurances that the embassy officials would come and visit the stranded passenger but there was no visit even after requests from the airport police," the airline officials said. The airline even tried in vain to contact the stranded passenger's sponsor.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/w...rport-1.694040
How did she die though? It doesn't say...
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes it do's say later in the paragraph.
The same page as i quoted earlier.

Mental trauma

A senior doctor with the government hospital said that it is possible that the severe mental trauma caused a cardiac arrest.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:10 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
It's a harsh lesson ofr us all.
always wear clean underwear in case you have an accident is another one...
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:11 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Yes it do's say later in the paragraph.
The same page as i quoted earlier.

Mental trauma

A senior doctor with the government hospital said that it is possible that the severe mental trauma caused a cardiac arrest.
all a bit vague as usual...
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

But I would imagine that you always wear clean underwear anyway, MH.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Such a sad story - along the Tom Hanks Terminal theme. Poor family back home - what must they think?

Also reminds me of when I was travelling with a group of friends from dibba to Muscat on a camping trip, crossing the border. We all put our passports in together at Oman immigration, but amongst the kafuffle with others interputing the official yada yada, one passport went adrift. for about 10 mins it was no where to be found. He had left UAE and couldn't go into Oman, or go back into UAE. he was frantic - and we were of course sympathetic, offering to lend him a tent and pick him up on the way back... Thankfully it was found. But it was horrible to witness the impact/reaction of losing a passport at immigration - even for 10 mins.

without a passport you are literally nobody.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:15 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Such a sad story - along the Tom Hanks Terminal theme. Poor family back home - what must they think?

Also reminds me of when I was travelling with a group of friends from dibba to Muscat on a camping trip, crossing the border. We all put our passports in together at Oman immigration, but amongst the kafuffle with others interputing the official yada yada, one passport went adrift. for about 10 mins it was no where to be found. He had left UAE and couldn't go into Oman, or go back into UAE. he was frantic - and we were of course sympathetic, offering to lend him a tent and pick him up on the way back... Thankfully it was found. But it was horrible to witness the impact/reaction of losing a passport at immigration - even for 10 mins.

without a passport you are literally nobody.
Best to aways keep photocopies of your passport in both your hand luggage as well as suitcase...just in case. Travel advice from Oz Government...
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I did want to kill myself when stuck in Doha airport for 11 hours- that really was a low point in my life!

Will now be keeping several copies of my passport in every bag I have, one on my person, one in my shoe, one posted to my parents, one to the person sitting next to me- the whole idea of getting stuck in Doha again is enough to make me paranoid! twitch twitch

PS very sad story- poor lady :-(
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:16 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't see why it's such a problem. There are numerous places you can go to sort out lost passports. Why all the fuss?

...or:

These handy, step-by-step instructions will let you make your very own passport, good in any airport or border crossing!

First, get a cereal box. Make sure it's a cool one, we don't want our passport looking shabby, do we? Next, cut a rectangular piece of cardboard off the front of the box. You might want a grown up to help you with this part, those scissors are sharp!

Now fold the rectangle in half so it looks like a book. Make sure that the cereal's mascot is on the front. Customs officials will think it's neato! Tear a couple of sheets of looseleaf paper from a notebook. Don't worry about the little fuzzies, they make it look fancy. Staple the looseleaf into the passport.

Using a crayon or magic marker, write in the name of your new country of origin and draw a picture of yourself. Make sure to use lots of pretty colors!

And there you are, your very own passport! Now run out and give it a try!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:28 pm
why ayeeeee man!

but if you get knocked over you may have an 'accident' in your underwear anyway, so clean knickers wouldn't help anyway....
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Best to aways keep photocopies of your passport in both your hand luggage as well as suitcase...just in case. Travel advice from Oz Government...
Indeed. I also have an electonic scanned copy somewhere safe and securely accessible on line.

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sorry, I don't see why it's such a problem. There are numerous places you can go to sort out lost passports.
Only the Government from the country issuing the passport can sort out and reissue lost passports. when overseas, this is the consular secion at Embassies. The "fuss" was because no bugger from the Indian Embassy in Muscat went to her aid(or was granted access) and she was in a transit area. She was effectively trapped - enough to drive anyone nuts when you think you are on your way home...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.