Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Wikiposts

Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice
Default Re: Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Originally Posted by shiva
Just remembered we use these, bloody brilliant especially when combined with the wd live media player
Emax sells them
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=310
those work in most houses, only had one house having a split circuit or something that didnt work
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:46 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Just remembered we use these, bloody brilliant especially when combined with the wd live media player
Emax sells them
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=310
Yeah, they're a good way of doing it without needing to run wires as long as the mains sockets you're trying to connect to each other are on the same circuit. As you say, the concrete-and-steel construction they use here is just about the worst thing possible for wireless.

If you live in a Du area then as long as you can get into the telecoms patchbay (usually under the stairs in a villa, in the ceiling space in an apartment) you can patch internet, phone and TV to every room and save the fee Du charges to do this for you. In our Springs villa you needed a Krone tool to do it (I just used a small screwdriver, hem-hem), but the patchbay in our current apartment uses standard network cables.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eeyore
the concrete-and-steel construction they use here is just about the worst thing possible for wireless.
Unless you look at it as being more secure as nobody on the outside can get your signal

Originally Posted by Eeyore
If you live in a Du area then as long as you can get into the telecoms patchbay (usually under the stairs in a villa, in the ceiling space in an apartment) you can patch internet, phone and TV to every room and save the fee Du charges to do this for you. In our Springs villa you needed a Krone tool to do it (I just used a small screwdriver, hem-hem), but the patchbay in our current apartment uses standard network cables.
Pickup some 1m network cables from carafour cheap, dragon mart if you can find em
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I have wireless, it is in the form of a USB stick. The wireless network cards that are installed inside the computer are supposed to be better.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Build one of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Never pay for internet..Because that's just plain silly and dangerous really.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

They just had a top tips thing on the gadget show... number 1 was using a tin foil reflector for your wifi coverage - They said and made out it worked great
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I solved it in my house: downstairs has the original Etisalat wifi router/cable modem. This is attached using an ethernet cable to a Netgear Powerline. Upstairs, I have another Netgear Powerline connected via ethernet to an old wifi router/adsl modem that I used in the UK before the move. This has been configured to act as a repeater, using instructions from: http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-us...i-network/298/ The result is wifi throughout the house, with seamless connection switching if you move a connected device from one floor to another.