Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:50 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of
Default Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Techie question:

Etisalat just installed a new "compact wireless DSL gateway" called a Gigaset 504AGU in my house as part of their e-life fiber optic package. This is supposed to provide faster internet - but so far I have yet to see any difference compared to my previous Etisalat supplied Aztech DSL router.

One thing that is noticiable is that the wireless coverage is now much worse than before. Daughter not v. happy as she can no longer surf the net in her bedroom -which is probably a good thing and might actually force her to engage in actual person to person conversations...

Anyway - how can I boost the wireless coverage - does anyone have experience with a gizmo that can be bought and easily does this. I have spent a while searching the net for solutions but would rather hear from someone who has actually done something that worked.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

you can buy a booster, we called Etisalat about getting extended wireless upstairs and they just said buy a booster from any decent electrical store, went to Max and they have they have them for about 600 dhs, not got one yet so don't know if they work
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

eat pringles

seriously though try to move the router a little bit, if it came with a stand try standing it on its side. Move it away from the wall, away from other devices.

If you look at signal strength on laptop while doing this you should be able to find a better signal for free!!! - when you reposition it wait a couple of seconds for the meter to refresh and also move away from the router.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I have the number of a guy who will come and connect each room to your router. He also does tv connections from the box. He connected my orbit tv thing up to my spare room when my mother was staying and also put internnet connection into it.
He is very good and very cheap
Let me know if you want his number, I will PM it to you.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:18 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Wireless coverage - how to improve it?

Originally Posted by paca
eat pringles

seriously though try to move the router a little bit, if it came with a stand try standing it on its side. Move it away from the wall, away from other devices.

If you look at signal strength on laptop while doing this you should be able to find a better signal for free!!! - when you reposition it wait a couple of seconds for the meter to refresh and also move away from the router.
Thanks - I have tried some of the obvious things with out any effect - I moved it from on top of a steel cabinet to on top of a wooden one - raised it up a little - even did an experiment by placing about a m2 of tin foil behind it - no still no improvement - the bloke on the web who recommended this must be a wind up merchant...will enquire in the electronic shops about a "Booster". Just don't want to spend 500 Dhs on something that does not work...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:26 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
Thanks - I have tried some of the obvious things with out any effect - I moved it from on top of a steel cabinet to on top of a wooden one - raised it up a little - even did an experiment by placing about a m2 of tin foil behind it - no still no improvement - the bloke on the web who recommended this must be a wind up merchant...will enquire in the electronic shops about a "Booster". Just don't want to spend 500 Dhs on something that does not work...
I don't know what a booster is but you can buy something called a repeater. basically it's another access point which is connected to your original one and then 'repeats' the signal hence extending your area of coverage. this should be fairly straightforward, but my only experience of these things was about 5 years ago and I found the damn things quite unreliable...

the tin foil is brilliant. i will use that next time someone asks me how to get better wireless. also you could put the access point on top of a bag of frozen broccoli, that has been known to help.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

I can't find much info on the router but it could be that it has a "signal strength" setting that is turned down.... you would have to logon to the router admin and have the password to do this

It could be that another signal is on the same channel too, in my apartment at least 4 others were on the same, its a bit of a myth that it causes problems but can't hurt to find an unused one, again router access is required to change this

I realise all this is technical now but thought I would let you know anyway
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to get an internet connection from my router to another room on the same level, my coputer guy told me that some of the supporting walls are really thick and it is a problem getting a signal. Anyway, as I said..I know a man who can.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I was trying to get an internet connection from my router to another room on the same level, my coputer guy told me that some of the supporting walls are really thick and it is a problem getting a signal. Anyway, as I said..I know a man who can.
true, also the windows that have metallic coatings here kill the signal.

I got told by someone once that the signal is line of sight too, so if you go 45 degrees through a wall then the wall is "thicker" than it is physically
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:46 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
- even did an experiment by placing about a m2 of tin foil behind it - no still no improvement - the bloke on the web who recommended this must be a wind up merchant...
I went online to find out how to clean a flat screen tv with wax crayon drawing all over it. In amongst the useful (WD40) was one wag writing enthusiastically about how he'd used a brillo pad very successfully
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:53 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have the number of a guy who will come and connect each room to your router. He also does tv connections from the box. He connected my orbit tv thing up to my spare room when my mother was staying and also put internnet connection into it.
He is very good and very cheap
Let me know if you want his number, I will PM it to you.
when OSN came to put in our satellite system they said we would have to pay for another box to get it upstairs, is that what he can do?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Rebar and the almost faraday cages we live in here mean crappy wifi. Boosters or routers are the best solution
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
when OSN came to put in our satellite system they said we would have to pay for another box to get it upstairs, is that what he can do?
he feeds cable through the junction box up to the room and connects direct from the router or the tv box..no need for other boxes.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:23 pm
Concierge

he feeds cable through the junction box up to the room and connects direct from the router or the tv box..no need for other boxes.
great DM me his details
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:41 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered we use these, bloody brilliant especially when combined with the wd live media player
Emax sells them
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=310

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.