Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Winter World Cup........

Winter World Cup........

Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:57 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter World Cup........

Originally Posted by scot47
Why do people play football in European winters ? Always struck me as crackers.
Why , when should they play ?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In most of Europe, and even in the UK some years, it makes no sense to schedule a sport that requires two periods of 45-47 minutes of intense running around during the summer months. In southern Europe the game would need time-outs every 5 minutes for water and the game would end up like American football, with the players spending more time standing around scratching their bums (and drinking water) than playing the game.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Otherwise it would clash with the cricket and tad difficult to bowl on soggy/frozen ground !
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Keeps you warm...nothing crackers about running around in the cold. Best time of year to work out.

N.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

WC 2022 is the most blatant example of corruption in football for a long long time.

Do they honestly thing that we should believe that they didn't consider the summer temps in Doha at the bidding stage? Aye right! They just saw the size of the bung and thought everyone would just tow the line!

As much as moving it to the winter could be done, personally I don't think it should be done. The European leagues need to stand up to FIFA and make a point. They are so corrupt is farcical!

Also, its not just like they can have a break and squeeze a WC into the gap. They'll need to be friendlies throughout the season, an allowance for a few weeks training beforehand and then a rest period after. The clubs will quite rightly feel aggrieved if their players come back injured as there will be limited recovery time afterwards. The legal challenges will be numerous. In addition, this isn't taking into account Doha's stance on homosexuality, drinkers, non married cohabitation, people of Jewish decent etc etc. What are they going to do if Israel qualify?

As such, I think the easiest and most sensible solution is for FIFA to hold there hands up and say 'we got it wrong, a WC in Doha during the summer won't work' and so we are moving it to X,Y or Z.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:23 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jam25mack
As such, I think the easiest and most sensible solution is for FIFA to hold there hands up and say 'we got it wrong, a WC in Doha during the summer won't work' and so we are moving it to X,Y or Z.
No way that will happen though, it would bankrupt FIFA.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I know it is due to concern of player' health; what I meant was that the WC should just be moved to a different country instead of rescheduling it.
Nothing really to do with players health, but it's the spectators that they are worried about, the stadia and hotels and coaches are air conditioned, but it's outside, where spectators will be a lot of the time, and that's where there may be problems, spending 2-3 weeks in temps like thqt where they are not used to it, could be very dangerous in terms of sun/heatstroke and dehydration.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Nothing really to do with players health, but it's the spectators that they are worried about, the stadia and hotels and coaches are air conditioned, but it's outside, where spectators will be a lot of the time, and that's where there may be problems, spending 2-3 weeks in temps like thqt where they are not used to it, could be very dangerous in terms of sun/heatstroke and dehydration.
But most football fans drink water, which is the best way of staying hydrated in high temperatures - I've never known one who liked to drink, say, beer..........
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should just cancel the 2022 World Cup. It would solve a lot of problems, and stop my TV being bombarded with shitty football talk for weeks on end.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
No way that will happen though, it would bankrupt FIFA.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way something needs to be done to re-organise / regulate this complete shower of corrupt bastards!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:03 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

We had better not lose the WC, I am not spending 10 years here waiting for the inevitable cluster**** for nothing.

I cannot wait to see how the local police sat in their Land Cruisers handle 1000 German/English and Dutch fans going at it beer in hand................
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britexpat76
We had better not lose the WC, I am not spending 10 years here waiting for the inevitable cluster**** for nothing.

I cannot wait to see how the local police sat in their Land Cruisers handle 1000 German/English and Dutch fans going at it beer in hand................
I think if it does go ahead it'll be either a bit of a damp squib with no one going or absolute carnage due to poor organisation and panic from the officials.

There is no way that the Doha po po's will have any experience of handling crowds such as those at a WC. Just one ' minor brawl' of 50 fans will end up with them getting the water cannons out!

**** it, I may just go. Could be fun!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I think if it does go ahead it'll be either a bit of a damp squib with no one going or absolute carnage due to poor organisation and panic from the officials.

There is no way that the Doha po po's will have any experience of handling crowds such as those at a WC. Just one ' minor brawl' of 50 fans will end up with them getting the water cannons out!

**** it, I may just go. Could be fun!
you don't think they will subcontract security then? come on guys...
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

The same way they handled the Aussies at the Asian Cup ?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:34 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
The same way they handled the Aussies at the Asian Cup ?
Is a very good casing point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.