Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Winston Churchill and Iran

Winston Churchill and Iran

Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:05 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winston Churchill and Iran

Originally Posted by kathy2009
Thank you all for all the interesting comments. Quite an education for me.

SPUGSY - I am Irish (born in Limerick) now living in US.

DTFC - wooowww - thank you very much about your comments - i never knew about Winston Churchill was also a key player ... Colonial Secretary in the early 1920s ... responsible for the implementation of the Balfour Declaration ...

I have long term iranian friends from college days and have met many of their friends at their house parties over the years. I would tell you that from my experiences that iranians truely resent what britain has done to iranians. May be because they are polite people and don't want to be publically rude, they refuse to tell you how they really feel. But in my opinion for my experiences with many many iranians, i would say that deep inside iranians hate or resent the british "crimes" or "atrocities" commited against them.

Even if you don't want to believe it and if your iranian friends don't want to tell you, I honestly believe in my experiences that they do resent what britain has done - deeply. Very deeply.

When iranians are among themselves with few or no "foreigners" around, they do speak of britain and of Churchill (a man they hate soooooo much) and they talk about how unfair the british are for attacking, invading, and occupying their country in both first world war and second world war for no reason whatsoever. I have heard this soooo many times. They maintain that iran has never done anything wrong to britain, but the british have destroyed they prospects for a good life and a successful country in the middle east.

Also, i am told by many Irish and british friends who traveled to iran (and by the way, fell in love with Iran, including MP Clare Short) that you cannot go to any of the small town in Iran and not hear the old men telling the children of the horrible atrocities that the british have commited against iranians - and they claim - that the british robbed their children of their birthrights, deprived their nation of their natural resources, and are responsible for the paradox of the life they should have had but did not.

I once heard an iranian in London say some pretty horrible things that he wished he could do to britain- but what frightened me was that his comments were not just idle threats from a stupid weakman who talks big with a small pants - that man was quite scarey because he was a highly intellectual individual and highly, highly educated and knowledgeable about many things. I hope one day he does not do anything nasty to britain. 99.99% of people you meet talk bull-$hit but this man - ahh there was something chilling about him. He was more intelligent than most average people you meet studying PHD in biochemistry at London Uni.

Let's hope iranians forget and may be in the future forgive britain for what it has done to it in the past.

Thanks for all your comments - i learned a few things from all of you.

warmest regards,
Kathy
ok, i'll bite...

so if you've got all this incredibly extensive experience with the people of iran and intimate knowledge of why they hate brits, why did you come onto this board and post a question like "why do Iranians hate british so much? they hate the brits much much deeper than they hate yanks. It is hard to understand."

most respondants to your question have expressed a contradictory message to what you've just described based on their own experience. you've quite clearly got an already very formed and strong opinion on the subject, so what was all this in aide of then?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:14 am
Just Joined

kathy2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Winston Churchill and Iran

dear still-insure,

you don't 'have to' bite anything. Any may be as your profile name suggests, you are never certain about anything possibly due to being very suspicious. I dont know.

i am trying to understand about iran and the history of UK and iran. i have met an iranian man who is simply the most wonderful human being i have ever met and i am very interested in dating him.

but i want to get as much advice as possible in order to understand the history and the background of the international circumstances and no matter how many books you read, it is always great to hear other people's views and think about those views and see things from a perspective that you had not anticipated.

anyways - thank you all for your ideas and comments.

no need to bite.

kathy