British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Winehouse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/winehouse-705046/)

Spugsy Feb 11th 2011 9:10 pm

Winehouse

Oh lord.....

What an utter shambles, she was all over the place, missing words, staring at her feet,scratching all the time - she went off for 3 songs and the backing singer did the singing, booed for most of the songs and after a while everyone left.

Such a shame really as she is so talented, but jesus what a train wreck.

Madam Medusa Feb 12th 2011 2:49 am

Re: Winehouse

it was quite funny watching friends' fb status reports live from the gig...every one of them was saying how amy winehouse was p*ssed, people are walking out, it's a shambles, she's miming...what a shame, she's amazingly talented and i love her voice...

must say i'm dead glad i didn't go now...

MM, xx

lionheart Feb 12th 2011 4:40 am

We were very tempted to go but I honestly didn't think she would have the mental enthusiasm to provide a worthwhile performance. After all, it's only a small Arab country with a miniscule fan base.:thumbdown:

co durham boy Feb 12th 2011 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9170407)
Oh lord.....

What an utter shambles, she was all over the place, missing words, staring at her feet,scratching all the time - she went off for 3 songs and the backing singer did the singing, booed for most of the songs and after a while everyone left.

Such a shame really as she is so talented, but jesus what a train wreck.

I don't know why promoters book her , she's still smoking rock and putting methadone on her weetabix so your not gonna get much value for money.

They should have put her in the Dubai Fountains to give her a good wash....!

Millhouse Feb 12th 2011 5:13 am

were you expecting anything different?

lionheart Feb 12th 2011 5:19 am

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainme...mance-1.760916

Spugsy Feb 12th 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9170890)
it was quite funny watching friends' fb status reports live from the gig...every one of them was saying how amy winehouse was p*ssed, people are walking out, it's a shambles, she's miming...what a shame, she's amazingly talented and i love her voice...

must say i'm dead glad i didn't go now...

MM, xx

It's just a shame more than anything, I do feel for her - she was a train wreck.

Tell you what, some people paid AED 1,000 for the 'back to black lounge' tickets which were basically just a bit higher up than everyone else, I'd be well gutted if I was them.

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9170967)
We were very tempted to go but I honestly didn't think she would have the mental enthusiasm to provide a worthwhile performance. After all, it's only a small Arab country with a miniscule fan base.:thumbdown:

It was sold out mind you.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9170996)
were you expecting anything different?

I was just hoping it could be brilliant.

Millhouse Feb 12th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9171099)
I was just hoping it could be brilliant.

yeh, fair enough. she has the potential to be great.

Sadly, I think that she is at her best in a studio where she can do lines of coke between verses and the producers put it all together into something coherent.

co durham boy Feb 12th 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9171097)
It's just a shame more than anything, I do feel for her - she was a train wreck.

Tell you what, some people paid AED 1,000 for the 'back to black lounge' tickets which were basically just a bit higher up than everyone else, I'd be well gutted if I was them.

The corporate whores paying a fortune to watch the crack whore.....Only in Dubai....!

Victor Meldrew Feb 12th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9170993)
They should have put her in the Dubai Fountains to give her a good wash....!

Priceless! I would have paid to watch that :thumbsup:

Dubaidog Feb 12th 2011 4:01 pm

I was there and it was awful - myself and many others left well before the end. From the crap venue, to the lengthy beer queue, to the "artist" there were not really any high points, apart from perhaps the spectacle of backing group trying to make up for her once she disappeared. It is a night out I regret. It could have been so much better....

At least it was in Dubai - just imagining that the Saudi leg of her tour could be worse....

"They tried to make me go to Riyad and I said...... no no no!":eek:

Spugsy Feb 12th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaidog (Post 9171718)
I was there and it was awful - myself and many others left well before the end. From the crap venue, to the lengthy beer queue, to the "artist" there were not really any high points, apart from perhaps the spectacle of backing group trying to make up for her once she disappeared. It is a night out I regret. It could have been so much better....

At least it was in Dubai - just imagining that the Saudi leg of her tour could be worse....

"They tried to make me go to Riyad and I said...... no no no!":eek:

Heh.

Yeah they can't organise events over here, they pay the staff nowt but never have enough so that you don't queue for ages - I got there early and got myself 4 pints.

CeeBee Feb 12th 2011 6:08 pm

I'd say the organizers are as much to blame as anybody. The sound setup was pathetic and because the wind was travelling in the direction of the stage you couldn't hear her. They should have had speakers half way where the camera box was.

I'd say the crown started booing because they couldn't hear her - it just all went downhill from there really.

Flash know how to do a proper job. Their yas concerts were excellent.