Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Window Cleaning Platform

Window Cleaning Platform

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:03 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Window Cleaning Platform

Random one I know, but any idea if companies can hire them from the buildings to do outside modifications to the apartments? We're in the process of starting a business here, and while we will be targeting villa owners initially, we need to come up with a safe way of working at height safely where there are no anchoring points. Only way I can see is by using these lift things the window cleaners use. If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...

Oh, and where is the cheapest free zone to start a company? Masdar is convenient from both location and the renewable products side, but the costs seem expensive, rak, jebel Ali, khalifa are all bloody expensive aswell!
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:53 pm
  #2  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,118
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Have you tried sky hooks?
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:49 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Oyibopeppeh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,308
Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

I remember seeing somewhere in Musaffah recently with a row of around 20 of those platform trucks all parked up in a line.

It was somewhere between 8th and 16th (2nd bridge) streets and not any further down than the 4th roundabout. One of the streets there is just chocka with all sorts of plant. Sorry not to be more accurate.
Oyibopeppeh is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:30 pm
  #4  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Brains1983 View Post
Random one I know, but any idea if companies can hire them from the buildings to do outside modifications to the apartments? We're in the process of starting a business here, and while we will be targeting villa owners initially, we need to come up with a safe way of working at height safely where there are no anchoring points. Only way I can see is by using these lift things the window cleaners use. If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...

Oh, and where is the cheapest free zone to start a company? Masdar is convenient from both location and the renewable products side, but the costs seem expensive, rak, jebel Ali, khalifa are all bloody expensive aswell!
Not sure, but I'd have thought the costs are dependant on the company formation / location etc? Freezones are appearing to level out - Creative City is about 13.5k license plus 4k initial fee, plus 5k visa or so.

http://www.creativecity.ae/ there are others too...

What's your business... security lights or basketball hoops?
Autonomy is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:44 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Not sure, but I'd have thought the costs are dependant on the company formation / location etc? Freezones are appearing to level out - Creative City is about 13.5k license plus 4k initial fee, plus 5k visa or so.

http://www.creativecity.ae/ there are others too...

What's your business... security lights or basketball hoops?

Cheers, will check out Creative City if we are eligible.

Still in process of signing the distributors agreement so it is exclusive before any announcement, however more towards security lights than hoops.
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:47 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh View Post
I remember seeing somewhere in Musaffah recently with a row of around 20 of those platform trucks all parked up in a line.

It was somewhere between 8th and 16th (2nd bridge) streets and not any further down than the 4th roundabout. One of the streets there is just chocka with all sorts of plant. Sorry not to be more accurate.
I had presumed each high rise had their own one on the roof that the hoisted up and down during the quarterly window washing?

I'll have a look in Musaffah for these, since if the buildings have to hire them as needed, it'll be easier for me to do the same I would presume.
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:48 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Have you tried sky hooks?
Need a left handed screwdriver to install them, all mine are right handed.
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:11 am
  #8  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,798
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Brains1983 View Post
I had presumed each high rise had their own one on the roof that the hoisted up and down during the quarterly window washing?

I'll have a look in Musaffah for these, since if the buildings have to hire them as needed, it'll be easier for me to do the same I would presume.
Most modern highrise has what they call a BMU ( building maintenance unit) hoisted up and down from the roof.
Here are a few manufacturers of those perhaps they have temporary solutions also:
EW Cox Middle East
Tractel Middle East
XS Platforms/HQ
Manntech Fassaden befahr systeme, Munich.

Except the German one, they are all in Dubai. Just working on a tender including one of these unit, its not like its normally normally in my head !
weasel decentral is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:26 pm
  #9  
Loading...
 
Welivehere's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Back in the sand
Posts: 1,279
Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Brains1983 View Post
If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...
Depending on height... We have a light weight portable scaffold tower that goes to 12mts. Our guys can throw it up in about 10 mins....
Welivehere is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:44 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Robajob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 291
Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Can't you get your guys some of these?

Robajob is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:50 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Originally Posted by Welivehere View Post
Depending on height... We have a light weight portable scaffold tower that goes to 12mts. Our guys can throw it up in about 10 mins....
Would help a little for the larger villas and the first 3 floors on the highrises. Hoping to go down the road of using each buildings BMU where we can harnass onto that.

Can I ask what sort of price this scaffold costs? Is it something you bought as it was needed, or is it a product that your selling?
Brains1983 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.