Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Window Cleaning Platform

Window Cleaning Platform

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Window Cleaning Platform

Random one I know, but any idea if companies can hire them from the buildings to do outside modifications to the apartments? We're in the process of starting a business here, and while we will be targeting villa owners initially, we need to come up with a safe way of working at height safely where there are no anchoring points. Only way I can see is by using these lift things the window cleaners use. If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...

Oh, and where is the cheapest free zone to start a company? Masdar is convenient from both location and the renewable products side, but the costs seem expensive, rak, jebel Ali, khalifa are all bloody expensive aswell!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:53 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window Cleaning Platform

Have you tried sky hooks?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing somewhere in Musaffah recently with a row of around 20 of those platform trucks all parked up in a line.

It was somewhere between 8th and 16th (2nd bridge) streets and not any further down than the 4th roundabout. One of the streets there is just chocka with all sorts of plant. Sorry not to be more accurate.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:30 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983 View Post
Random one I know, but any idea if companies can hire them from the buildings to do outside modifications to the apartments? We're in the process of starting a business here, and while we will be targeting villa owners initially, we need to come up with a safe way of working at height safely where there are no anchoring points. Only way I can see is by using these lift things the window cleaners use. If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...

Oh, and where is the cheapest free zone to start a company? Masdar is convenient from both location and the renewable products side, but the costs seem expensive, rak, jebel Ali, khalifa are all bloody expensive aswell!
Not sure, but I'd have thought the costs are dependant on the company formation / location etc? Freezones are appearing to level out - Creative City is about 13.5k license plus 4k initial fee, plus 5k visa or so.

http://www.creativecity.ae/ there are others too...

What's your business... security lights or basketball hoops?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Not sure, but I'd have thought the costs are dependant on the company formation / location etc? Freezones are appearing to level out - Creative City is about 13.5k license plus 4k initial fee, plus 5k visa or so.

http://www.creativecity.ae/ there are others too...

What's your business... security lights or basketball hoops?

Cheers, will check out Creative City if we are eligible.

Still in process of signing the distributors agreement so it is exclusive before any announcement, however more towards security lights than hoops.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh View Post
I remember seeing somewhere in Musaffah recently with a row of around 20 of those platform trucks all parked up in a line.

It was somewhere between 8th and 16th (2nd bridge) streets and not any further down than the 4th roundabout. One of the streets there is just chocka with all sorts of plant. Sorry not to be more accurate.
I had presumed each high rise had their own one on the roof that the hoisted up and down during the quarterly window washing?

I'll have a look in Musaffah for these, since if the buildings have to hire them as needed, it'll be easier for me to do the same I would presume.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Have you tried sky hooks?
Need a left handed screwdriver to install them, all mine are right handed.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I had presumed each high rise had their own one on the roof that the hoisted up and down during the quarterly window washing?

I'll have a look in Musaffah for these, since if the buildings have to hire them as needed, it'll be easier for me to do the same I would presume.
Most modern highrise has what they call a BMU ( building maintenance unit) hoisted up and down from the roof.
Here are a few manufacturers of those perhaps they have temporary solutions also:
EW Cox Middle East
Tractel Middle East
XS Platforms/HQ
Manntech Fassaden befahr systeme, Munich.

Except the German one, they are all in Dubai. Just working on a tender including one of these unit, its not like its normally normally in my head !
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:26 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

If there are any health and safety folks on here, any other ideas? Would only be carrying a masonry drill and some light fittings, but the last thing I want is for someone to try this on a stepladder and fall out over the edge...
Depending on height... We have a light weight portable scaffold tower that goes to 12mts. Our guys can throw it up in about 10 mins....
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Can't you get your guys some of these?

Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welivehere View Post
Depending on height... We have a light weight portable scaffold tower that goes to 12mts. Our guys can throw it up in about 10 mins....
Would help a little for the larger villas and the first 3 floors on the highrises. Hoping to go down the road of using each buildings BMU where we can harnass onto that.

Can I ask what sort of price this scaffold costs? Is it something you bought as it was needed, or is it a product that your selling?