British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Window`s 10 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/window%60s-10-a-864252/)

Dubaiexile Aug 28th 2015 1:36 pm

Window`s 10

Just a quick question, has anyone installed Windows 10, and if so pro`s and con`s.
I keep having the invite to upgrade pop up but have heard many different opinions on Windows 10 ranging from being ok to being a nightmare, so any computer wizards out there have an opinion and could guide us lesser mortals!!

Autonomy Aug 28th 2015 2:17 pm

Re: Window`s 10

I updated a couple weeks ago - the update took quite a while - an hour or so plus - seemed to go smoothly for me.

I noticed only a couple of small glitches, some printer drivers might need updates, a coupl of small programs maybe didn't work.

Overall 95% fine - the new user experience is not all that different on my set up.

All in all - no great paid, but no great difference I thought once done.

May be different for other users / other programs / other set ups!

mikewot Aug 28th 2015 4:08 pm

Long time to 'install' the upgrade patch, then about 90 minutes for the actual upgrade. No issues and soooo much simpler than yea olde days with Windoze 3. Issue with the NVIDIA Driver but easily resolved manually.
In essence a lot sweeter and easier to use than win 8/8.1 but very similar to win 7/XP.

Boomhauer Aug 28th 2015 8:01 pm

Not going to upgrade from my Win 7pro. See no need to. If it ain't broke don't fix it....

mikelincs Aug 28th 2015 8:48 pm

Upgraded two laptops here, no problems at all, in fact I much prefer it to 8.1, smooth download and install.

Gobobo Aug 29th 2015 6:53 am

If only Microsoft's software could fix the appalling use of apostrophes I see, every day.

HINT: A plural noun DOES NOT need an apostrophe.

Dubaiexile Aug 29th 2015 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Gobobo (Post 11735637)
If only Microsoft's software could fix the appalling use of apostrophes I see, every day.

mmmmm apostrophe police out and about, beware everyone!

Johnnyboy11 Aug 29th 2015 12:38 pm

The upgrade went well for me, took less that half an hour (laptop has a ssd drive). Happy with Windows 10.

Two little niggles: (i) The default browser is Windows Edge and there is currently no ad-block plug-in for it, so I had to manually configure the OS to use Explorer 11 by default and (ii) I have wasted an awful lot of time playing Candy Crush Saga which is integrated into the OS :(

archie159 Aug 29th 2015 4:54 pm

Two Win7 computers updated. Took several hours each (just leave it to run - after the first few clicks there is nothing else one need do till the process is finished), plus another half an hour or so to configure them properly (going deep into the settings to minimise the amount of phoning-home Win10 will do by default).

Very easy transition from Win7 - very similar to use. I quite like Win10 - a good mix of Win7 and Win8.1 (our 2 laptops on Win8.1 will be upgraded in a few weeks time when I have more time). The Win7 computers were between 4 and 6 years old, and both run a lot quicker now.

It is easy to change the default broswer from Edge. Chrome works well, though Edge is very fast indeed, so I use it occasionally.

Boomhauer Aug 30th 2015 3:04 am

I read on another forum (engineering oriented forum) that Win 10 has a lot of tracking/snooping software embedded in it , by Microsoft.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 30th 2015 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Gobobo (Post 11735637)

What a twat.

shiva Aug 30th 2015 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11736109)
I read on another forum (engineering oriented forum) that Win 10 has a lot of tracking/snooping software embedded in it , by Microsoft.

yup, they will also use your machine and bandwidth to assist in pushing out updates to others online effectively making your machine a part of their network which is lovely of them.

Millhouse Aug 30th 2015 9:16 am

Never ever upgrade. This goes for any apple product too.

archie159 Aug 30th 2015 11:14 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11736211)
yup, they will also use your machine and bandwidth to assist in pushing out updates to others online effectively making your machine a part of their network which is lovely of them.

You can turn this off - it's not a hidden feature, & only takes about 3 clicks to stop. You can also turn off most of the other "tracking/snooping" features (much of which is also standard on apple, android etc).

Dubaiexile Aug 30th 2015 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11736153)
What a twat.

My thoughts exactly, but I had a nice moment, can rely on you to get to the point though :thumbsup: