British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Wimbledon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/wimbledon-763247/)

Eva Jun 28th 2012 8:53 pm

Wimbledon

ROSOL

That is all
He might not win but he is perfect on the eye and down the line

Karlos The Jackal Jun 28th 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Wimbledon

With a bit of luck he may beat Murray in the final!

Autonomy Jun 28th 2012 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 10144900)
With a bit of luck he may beat Murray in the final!

They'd meet in the semi finals.....

That Rosol / Nadal match was simply one of the most amazing tennis (if not sporting) matches I've seen in a very long time.

Even if you don't follow tennis it was amazing to watch. The stats are also off the scale. e.g. world rank #100 beats #2 & returns are faster than serves. Really Italy beating Germany was impressive but in terms of underdogs - this was massive.... fair play. Rosol also played a really cool appealing style...

co durham boy Jun 29th 2012 5:37 am

A.B.M

Anyone but Murray

typical Jun 29th 2012 9:46 am

Shame to see the Murray-haters out... I quite like the lad.

The Ward match was epic too though. Poor sod.

Karlos The Jackal Jun 29th 2012 10:56 am

The man is so far up his own arse he is eating his tonsils!

Bob Jun 29th 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 10145707)
The man is so far up his own arse he is eating his tonsils!

But while he wins, he's a Brit, can go back to being a Jock when he loses :D

He's still a cock off the court.

Really impressed with the tennis this year, seems far more open in both the mens and womens game, some really big matches from a lot of people.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 1st 2012 4:19 am

ABM

Autonomy Jul 1st 2012 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10148204)
ABM

This whole Anyone But Murray thing is all a bit depressing. I know I'll not change your minds...

But I don't get why there is this attitude to a sportsman. Consider the following:-

Top 4 player of his sport worldwide, not just briefly, but consistently
Plays with passion
Plays attractive and exciting tennis
Has been in the semi finals of the last 7 grand slams
Is the best British player of his generation and for many, many years
Has a traditional British attitude to fight for every point

Etc etc....

I'm sure I'll get a list back as to his negatives - but if the main point is you think he's a dour Scot then that's a bit lame.

Does he deserve to be higher than 4 - not currently. The top 3 are better than him by a margin. The top 3 now is most probably the strongest top 3 players of all time. Though he has and can beat all three...

Will he win Wimbledon - maybe with some luck and Nadal being removed could help - although he still has 2 tough games before the semis...

Anyway - just saying - as I know everyone has their own opinion and this little post will not change those views...

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 1st 2012 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10148368)
This whole Anyone But Murray thing is all a bit depressing. I know I'll not change your minds...

But I don't get why there is this attitude to a sportsman. Consider the following:-

Top 4 player of his sport worldwide, not just briefly, but consistently
Plays with passion
Plays attractive and exciting tennis
Has been in the semi finals of the last 7 grand slams
Is the best British player of his generation and for many, many years
Has a traditional British attitude to fight for every point

Etc etc....

I'm sure I'll get a list back as to his negatives - but if the main point is you think he's a dour Scot then that's a bit lame.

Does he deserve to be higher than 4 - not currently. The top 3 are better than him by a margin. The top 3 now is most probably the strongest top 3 players of all time. Though he has and can beat all three...

Will he win Wimbledon - maybe with some luck and Nadal being removed could help - although he still has 2 tough games before the semis...

Anyway - just saying - as I know everyone has their own opinion and this little post will not change those views...

All completely fair and I don't disagree.

I just spent the build up and two weeks of the Euros with a Scot in the office putting ABE at the bottom of every email.

If that's the level that the nation of my Father sit at then "if you can't beat them etc.." seems quite fitting.

Plus, it's tennis. You know, tennis. The sport nobody in the UK gives a shit about until Wimbledon.

Rather than a dislike of Murray, it's a childish dig back at someone who won't read this.

typical Jul 1st 2012 10:07 am

It's much easier to like Murray if you avoid all UK coverage of him.

The foreign press tend to be much more measured in writing about him - neither the all-conquering Brit set to take back Wimbledon (again) nor a rubbish idiot who couldn't beat a blancmange*, but rather a very very good tennis player in an era of several very very very good tennis players.

* subtle reference

commander Jul 1st 2012 11:54 am

**** the mint. He's a british prick:D

Autonomy Jul 1st 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10148707)
**** the mint. He's a british prick:D

I still find that really weird coming from the Bored's resident "sportsman".... you "hate" so many sportsmen such as David Beckham and Andy Murray yet love the most drug riddled and corrupt sport as cycle tours... even the "greats" are pretty tarnished including "our own" British "sportsmen".....

mikelincs Jul 1st 2012 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 10144845)
ROSOL

That is all
He might not win but he is perfect on the eye and down the line

He lost.. :ohmy:

The Dean Jul 2nd 2012 5:13 pm

Yes - Gruntapova has gone (Gut gemacht Sabine!).

Sadly Squeelarenka has just beaten Ivanovic.............. :frown:

The lovely Maria Kirilenko has a chance of victory (leading Peng in final set) - she grunts too but hers sound like an orgasm so that's OK........ :o