British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   This will be fun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/will-fun-773851/)

shiva Oct 7th 2012 8:35 am

This will be fun
 
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/to...road-1.1085991

Dubai Creek canal set to cross Shaikh Zayed Road

The extended Business Bay Canal will cross Shaikh Zayed Road before Al Safa Interchange and cut across Safa Park, Al Wasl Road, and Jumeirah 2, terminating in the Arabian Gulf


thought this idea had been canned a while ago obviously Dubai is back

Autonomy Oct 7th 2012 8:38 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10317697)
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/to...road-1.1085991

Dubai Creek canal set to cross Shaikh Zayed Road

The extended Business Bay Canal will cross Shaikh Zayed Road before Al Safa Interchange and cut across Safa Park, Al Wasl Road, and Jumeirah 2, terminating in the Arabian Gulf


thought this idea had been canned a while ago obviously Dubai is back

That was my first thoughts also - I can't even begin to imagine the probable traffic chaos involved with SZR and this canal...

Scamp Oct 7th 2012 8:38 am

Re: This will be fun
 
I'd much rather they just sorted an easier way of getting out of Business Bay and heading South down the Sheikh's Helmet.

Sick of going to Doha Street (I think) and waiting at the lights. Takes 10 mins to drive back past my place.

shiva Oct 7th 2012 8:44 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10317700)
That was my first thoughts also - I can't even begin to imagine the probable traffic chaos involved with SZR and this canal...

i have a horrible feeling they wont do it one road at a time either. The republic of Mirdif just gets better and better. We were thinking about moving but if this gets under way then there is no chance i'm crossing the creek unless its absolutely necessary.

Scamp Oct 7th 2012 8:56 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10317709)
The republic of Mirdif just gets better and better.

Best mall in Dubai is there too.

Ditzy Oct 7th 2012 9:49 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10317701)
I'd much rather they just sorted an easier way of getting out of Business Bay and heading South down the Sheikh's Helmet.

Sick of going to Doha Street (I think) and waiting at the lights. Takes 10 mins to drive back past my place.

Scamp there are other alternative options/routes, have you explored them all? where are you going to?

Looks like this road would take us from BB on to the other side of SZR one way or another so it will def be quicker for us. :cool:

Scamp Oct 7th 2012 10:00 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 10317805)
Scamp there are other alternative options/routes, have you explored them all? where are you going to?

Looks like this road would take us from BB on to the other side of SZR one way or another so it will def be quicker for us. :cool:

I've tried the following....

Out of Exec Towers, onto SZR over flyover towards Jumeirah, U-Turn, back on SZR heading south.

Same again but instead of going to Jumeirah I head towards Za'abeel / Khalifa and do a U-turn, over SZR and onto it heading south.

Not going on SZR but under tunnel towards Za'abeel / DIFC, U turn, then back down to go over flyover for go south on SZR.

Round the back of Emaar boulevard, U Turn, flyover, SZR.


I rotate the second and third to save sanity. I go to JLT every day and don't want to use Al Khail because I think it's shitty...

Ditzy Oct 7th 2012 10:04 am

Re: This will be fun
 
ah. yes it is annoying. You should maybe try Al Khail just to see how long it takes door to door (please report back as we do the same route :p ).

There's another way with no traffic lights (once you are on SZR) but it would only be quicker if you did it with no traffic on the small roundabout: you take the jumeirah bridge but turn RIGHT after french bakery, right, right again so you pass canadian university on your right, then up behind mazaya centre, left at the roundabout at emarat atrium and on SZR. good if there's no traffic.

The Dean Oct 8th 2012 2:56 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10317697)
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/to...road-1.1085991

Dubai Creek canal set to cross Shaikh Zayed Road

The extended Business Bay Canal will cross Shaikh Zayed Road before Al Safa Interchange and cut across Safa Park, Al Wasl Road, and Jumeirah 2, terminating in the Arabian Gulf


thought this idea had been canned a while ago obviously Dubai is back

When I was working for a certain holding company, we had a good look at the original plans for the waterway........... my memory may be fading with age, but I'm pretty sure the plans included a tunnel under SZR that the canal would pass through........

Presumably, this would require SZR to be raised to flyover level (more chaos, just different chaos)........ am I going mad, or did anyone else get the same impression?

Ditzy Oct 8th 2012 3:00 am

Re: This will be fun
 
These seem to be different plans than the ones years ago, as the canal also seems to be taking a different route through Jumeirah, through Safa Park rather than the previous route?

The picture def shows SZR being elevated as a bridge to allow the creek to go underneath.

Will be lovely when it's all done - let's hope it's quick :D

The Dean Oct 8th 2012 4:27 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 10318936)
These seem to be different plans than the ones years ago, as the canal also seems to be taking a different route through Jumeirah, through Safa Park rather than the previous route?

The picture def shows SZR being elevated as a bridge to allow the creek to go underneath.

Will be lovely when it's all done - let's hope it's quick :D

Ah yes - if I had actually bothered to open the link, I would have seen that for myself........

[*gets coat*]

Scamp Oct 8th 2012 5:36 am

Re: This will be fun
 
Can you imagine the chaos of building a bridge in place of the road on SZR...

NorthernLad Oct 8th 2012 11:06 am

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10318933)
When I was working for a certain holding company, we had a good look at the original plans for the waterway........... my memory may be fading with age, but I'm pretty sure the plans included a tunnel under SZR that the canal would pass through........

Presumably, this would require SZR to be raised to flyover level (more chaos, just different chaos)........ am I going mad, or did anyone else get the same impression?

Correct...the Lloyds TSB bank was right in the path and was scheduled to be flattened.

shiva Oct 8th 2012 12:01 pm

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10319028)
Can you imagine the chaos of building a bridge in place of the road on SZR...

errr kind of the point i was posting to highlight

Autonomy Oct 8th 2012 12:18 pm

Re: This will be fun
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10318933)
When I was working for a certain holding company, we had a good look at the original plans for the waterway........... my memory may be fading with age, but I'm pretty sure the plans included a tunnel under SZR that the canal would pass through........

Presumably, this would require SZR to be raised to flyover level (more chaos, just different chaos)........ am I going mad, or did anyone else get the same impression?

that and the fact that canals tend to have to be level and not say go up hill or down hill through tunnels etc Unless they have invented water with gravity defying properties.

The road will have to be raised, not the canal.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:13 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.