This will be fun

Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default This will be fun

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/to...road-1.1085991

Dubai Creek canal set to cross Shaikh Zayed Road

The extended Business Bay Canal will cross Shaikh Zayed Road before Al Safa Interchange and cut across Safa Park, Al Wasl Road, and Jumeirah 2, terminating in the Arabian Gulf

thought this idea had been canned a while ago obviously Dubai is back
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:38 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This will be fun

Originally Posted by shiva

The extended Business Bay Canal will cross Shaikh Zayed Road before Al Safa Interchange and cut across Safa Park, Al Wasl Road, and Jumeirah 2, terminating in the Arabian Gulf

That was my first thoughts also - I can't even begin to imagine the probable traffic chaos involved with SZR and this canal...
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd much rather they just sorted an easier way of getting out of Business Bay and heading South down the Sheikh's Helmet.

Sick of going to Doha Street (I think) and waiting at the lights. Takes 10 mins to drive back past my place.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
That was my first thoughts also - I can't even begin to imagine the probable traffic chaos involved with SZR and this canal...
i have a horrible feeling they wont do it one road at a time either. The republic of Mirdif just gets better and better. We were thinking about moving but if this gets under way then there is no chance i'm crossing the creek unless its absolutely necessary.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The republic of Mirdif just gets better and better.
Best mall in Dubai is there too.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd much rather they just sorted an easier way of getting out of Business Bay and heading South down the Sheikh's Helmet.

Sick of going to Doha Street (I think) and waiting at the lights. Takes 10 mins to drive back past my place.
Scamp there are other alternative options/routes, have you explored them all? where are you going to?

Looks like this road would take us from BB on to the other side of SZR one way or another so it will def be quicker for us.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Scamp there are other alternative options/routes, have you explored them all? where are you going to?

Looks like this road would take us from BB on to the other side of SZR one way or another so it will def be quicker for us.
I've tried the following....

Out of Exec Towers, onto SZR over flyover towards Jumeirah, U-Turn, back on SZR heading south.

Same again but instead of going to Jumeirah I head towards Za'abeel / Khalifa and do a U-turn, over SZR and onto it heading south.

Not going on SZR but under tunnel towards Za'abeel / DIFC, U turn, then back down to go over flyover for go south on SZR.

Round the back of Emaar boulevard, U Turn, flyover, SZR.

I rotate the second and third to save sanity. I go to JLT every day and don't want to use Al Khail because I think it's shitty...
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

ah. yes it is annoying. You should maybe try Al Khail just to see how long it takes door to door (please report back as we do the same route ).

There's another way with no traffic lights (once you are on SZR) but it would only be quicker if you did it with no traffic on the small roundabout: you take the jumeirah bridge but turn RIGHT after french bakery, right, right again so you pass canadian university on your right, then up behind mazaya centre, left at the roundabout at emarat atrium and on SZR. good if there's no traffic.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working for a certain holding company, we had a good look at the original plans for the waterway........... my memory may be fading with age, but I'm pretty sure the plans included a tunnel under SZR that the canal would pass through........

Presumably, this would require SZR to be raised to flyover level (more chaos, just different chaos)........ am I going mad, or did anyone else get the same impression?
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

These seem to be different plans than the ones years ago, as the canal also seems to be taking a different route through Jumeirah, through Safa Park rather than the previous route?

The picture def shows SZR being elevated as a bridge to allow the creek to go underneath.

Will be lovely when it's all done - let's hope it's quick
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
These seem to be different plans than the ones years ago, as the canal also seems to be taking a different route through Jumeirah, through Safa Park rather than the previous route?

The picture def shows SZR being elevated as a bridge to allow the creek to go underneath.

Will be lovely when it's all done - let's hope it's quick
Ah yes - if I had actually bothered to open the link, I would have seen that for myself........

[*gets coat*]
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Can you imagine the chaos of building a bridge in place of the road on SZR...
Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:06 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
When I was working for a certain holding company, we had a good look at the original plans for the waterway........... my memory may be fading with age, but I'm pretty sure the plans included a tunnel under SZR that the canal would pass through........

Presumably, this would require SZR to be raised to flyover level (more chaos, just different chaos)........ am I going mad, or did anyone else get the same impression?
Correct...the Lloyds TSB bank was right in the path and was scheduled to be flattened.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Scamp
Can you imagine the chaos of building a bridge in place of the road on SZR...
errr kind of the point i was posting to highlight
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:18 am