Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why are you here in the ME?

Why are you here in the ME?

Old Dec 20th 2015, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you here in the ME?

McDelivery
Old Dec 20th 2015, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
McDelivery
I don't like how you can only get medium fries with Value Meals.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Standanista
I don't like how you can only get medium fries with Value Meals.
Mac's delivery is rank - on the rare occasion I have ordered a delivery it turns up frigging cold
Old Dec 27th 2015, 11:27 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why are you here in the ME?

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Money
Money
Money
Money
Money
Money
Cheap sex with loose and/or lost women
Money
Money
Money
Money

Er, shallow I know, what can I say
By far one of the most honest comments ever , you win sir !
Old Dec 28th 2015, 5:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

(Early) mid life crisis.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to work a 40 hour week for decent money and without stress. Previously in the UK it was nearer a 55 hour week, loads of stress and tax. The warm winters here are nice too, but the summers suck. After 17 years in the Arabian Gulf, the time has now come to take early retirement, initially back home but eventually in Southern Europe somewhere.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:11 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Being able to work a 40 hour week for decent money and without stress. Previously in the UK it was nearer a 55 hour week, loads of stress and tax. The warm winters here are nice too, but the summers suck. After 17 years in the Arabian Gulf, the time has now come to take early retirement, initially back home but eventually in Southern Europe somewhere.
Croatia! The women a smoking hot too.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:42 am
"The Seeker"

Most Westerners like the absolute reverence and total respect they get , generally , from the locals , it's nice to be treated this way , most of those I know live in an expat bubble so they are certainly not here for cultural enrichment
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leannmean
Most Westerners like the absolute reverence and total respect they get , generally , from the locals , it's nice to be treated this way , most of those I know live in an expat bubble so they are certainly not here for cultural enrichment
Oman is not the same as the UAE, or other places...

You may live in a bubble but we don't all.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:48 am
"The Seeker"

True , however , I hardly doubt that Brits get treated the same way as Asians or Indians for instance .
I said "most ", not " all "

if I may , do you mingle with the locals over there ?
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:54 am
Bored liberal

True , however , I hardly doubt that Brits get treated the same way as Asians or Indians for instance .
I said "most ", not " all "

if I may , do you mingle with the locals over there ?

Emiratis make up only 15% of the population of Dubai so few expats know many Emiratis unless they have been here a long time. I know a few.

If, as your earlier post implies, Westerners move to the ME to get respect from the locals they are somewhat misguided. Also, what a weird reason to move somewhere.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:56 am
"The Seeker"

Originally Posted by Meow
Emiratis make up only 15% of the population of Dubai so few expats know many Emiratis unless they have been here a long time. I know a few.

If, as your earlier post implies, Westerners move to the ME to get respect from the locals they are somewhat misguided. Also, what a weird reason to move somewhere.
Agreed , the main reason is so eloquently put by Martin : "Money"
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

But here in the UAE over 75% of the population is from the Indian sub-continent so we rarely come across locals, as you call them.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:23 am
Just Joined

govandave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Having someone fill my motor up with petrol is the main thing
This and the fact that I like to get called Mam-Sir when I order my dinner/ drink/ ice cream, while sitting by the poolside in mid December.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Mac's delivery is rank - on the rare occasion I have ordered a delivery it turns up frigging cold
They make it to my place in Mirdif in 10-12 mins. Always bang on.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 3 D's as the most common reasons for people being here in the GCC...... Debt, Drugs and Divorce.

For me, I was bored of the UK. I come from a well travelled family so I always said I would work abroad. I'd already worked in the US for a winter season straight after Uni so the expat living appealed. As for choosing the Gulf, well initially I was in Kuwait and I agreed to that job when some recruitment chap rang me up at 6am one morning when I was particularly delicate after a standard Glasgow night out. I agreed to the job just to get him off the phone. It only dawned on me a few hours later when I woke up and I realised I had agreed to the move. Well that was about 10 years ago now so can't say it was a bad decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.