Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why don't we all write a short story on-line

Why don't we all write a short story on-line

Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:13 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why don't we all write a short story on-line

It would be a bit like 'Consequences' - remember that but without the 'he said', 'she said' stuff?

How about a maximum of 5,000 words, no contributor allowed to write more than 30 words at a time and the total number of words should be shown in brackets at the end of each contribution. The person making the final contribution to the story should be able to give the story a title.

I'll start it off:

The day started well enough. Sunny and hot again so no change there. It looked like it would be another normal day but then the phone rang. (27)
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:21 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why don't we all write a short story on-line

Originally Posted by hnd
It would be a bit like 'Consequences' - remember that but without the 'he said', 'she said' stuff?

How about a maximum of 5,000 words, no contributor allowed to write more than 30 words at a time and the total number of words should be shown in brackets at the end of each contribution. The person making the final contribution to the story should be able to give the story a title.

I'll start it off:

The day started well enough. Sunny and hot again so no change there. It looked like it would be another normal day but then the phone rang. (27)
I let it ring four times. The answering machine clicked on, and I heard my own voice coming through the speaker, disembodied and distant.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:30 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I let it ring four times. The answering machine clicked on, and I heard my own voice coming through the speaker, disembodied and distant.
(49)

There was silence at the other end for what seemed like ages and then I could have sworn that I heard ... (70)
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hnd
(49)

There was silence at the other end for what seemed like ages and then I could have sworn that I heard ... (70)

A cat say, "meow". (74)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 12:55 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
A cat say, "meow". (74)
"If there is one reason above any why I'm quiting posting or viewing this site anymore, its this thread" (93 and out)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
"If there is one reason above any why I'm quiting posting or viewing this site anymore, its this thread" (93 and out)
...said Hubert as he slammed the phone down, almost knocking over his G&T.

it had been some time since the strange phone calls had started, yet Hubert was no closer to finding out who the perpetrator was.

He felt that it was all connected to his time spent in Barbados, when some very strange happenings had led him to flee to his current anonymous bedsit in South London. But he didn't want to think about those times now. Hubert picked up his glass, picked up his newspaper and settled in to his chair.

For now, all was quiet.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:05 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
...said Hubert as he slammed the phone down, almost knocking over his G&T.

it had been some time since the strange phone calls had started, yet Hubert was no closer to finding out who the perpetrator was.

He felt that it was all connected to his time spent in Barbados, when some very strange happenings had led him to flee to his current anonymous bedsit in South London. But he didn't want to think about those times now. Hubert picked up his glass, picked up his newspaper and settled in to his chair.

For now, all was quiet.
Seconds later a mirage appeared in front of him, what was in his glass? She was beautiful(207)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Seconds later a mirage appeared in front of him, what was in his glass? She was beautiful(207)
but her shadow said she was a he (215)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:07 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
but her shadow said she was a he (215)
He rose and walked towards her, tripping over the corner of a badly placed rug and falling face first into the deep fat frier, bubbling away with his evening chips.(245)

Last edited by weasel decentral; Nov 6th 2012 at 6:09 am. Reason: word count
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
He rose and walked towards her, tripping over the corner of a badly placed rug and falling face first into the deep fat frier, bubbling away with his evening chips.(245)
It was clear that the burns were significant. In pain, Hubert dragged his face from the frier, knocking the oil and chips to the floor, and made his way to the sink so he could run icy cold water onto his burns. The shadow moved towards him, holding a large pot of savlon and a grinning smile. It was as if the shadowy figure knew Hubert would fall face first into the frier. (73/ 318)

Last edited by Millhouse; Nov 6th 2012 at 6:27 am.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:36 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

"Now then," said the shadowy figure in a broad Yorkshire accent", "'appen we've changed from t'first person to t'third person, you daft bugger..."
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

"What are you doing in the bath, playing with my rubber duck?" she enquired. "I'm from the ministry," he explained.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:34 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
"What are you doing in the bath, playing with my rubber duck?" she enquired. "I'm from the ministry," he explained.
My name is hnd and I have started this really silly game on BE and some are even playing, are you sure this is a duck?(about 400)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
My name is hnd and I have started this really silly game on BE and some are even playing, are you sure this is a duck?(about 400)
I have absolutely no idea ( so nothing new there, then ) but it it's floating on the surface, so if you'd like to investigate further, then be my guest, but I for one ain't going any further, thank you very much!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hubert looked in horror at the bubbling oil on the carpet as it smoked and caught fire. he was trapped in a poky bedsit - the only exit the small bathroom window. But would he fit? He deeply regretted the steak and kidney pie with mushy pea supper he'd had at the local chippy for lunch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.