Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Old May 28th 2012, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: 'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
My grandfather did it for me
Mine wrote the bible.
Old May 28th 2012, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should just forgive the examining board, for they do not know what they are doing.
Old May 28th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You're giving that age group too much credit for intelligence - they won't ask a question that contains words that candidates might not understand (Anti-semitism, persecution, etc). I'm not joking. The actual chosen wording is clearly understood - yours are not, to a typical cross-section of GCSE candidates.
My son is 14 years old. He , until now, was educated in the British system. He would very well understand and be able to answer those questions.
Old May 28th 2012, 8:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think we should just forgive the examining board, for they do not know what they are doing.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
My son is 14 years old. He , until now, was educated in the British system. He would very well understand and be able to answer those questions.
He is of well-above-average intelligence then - would you agree?
Old May 28th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

He is of well-above-average intelligence then - would you agree?
Don't know..his friends are not different though.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Heheh. I'm intrigued by the fact that people seem to have posted more on the topic of whether it is a valid and well-worded question, than on their opinions as to the sources of anti-Semitism.

So, just to throw a small hand-grenade in here, what are people's opinions as to the causes of enduring (if, indeed you believe it to be) anti-semitism in Western societies? (I throw in the geographical qualifier with some reason).....
Old May 28th 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Heheh. I'm intrigued by the fact that people seem to have posted more on the topic of whether it is a valid and well-worded question, than on their opinions as to the sources of anti-Semitism.

So, just to throw a small hand-grenade in here, what are people's opinions as to the causes of enduring (if, indeed you believe it to be) anti-semitism in Western societies? (I throw in the geographical qualifier with some reason).....
On some of the forums I frequent , the gcse question and yours would ellicit the ubiquitous meme " it's a trap " , featuring Admiral Akbar from the original Star Wars
Old May 29th 2012, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie

Hello SYB............. the point of the thread (started by The Dean) was to highlight the debate about whether the question 'belonged' in an exam.......

My view is yes, but it's a bit beyond the reach of (most) 15-16 year olds. I was also bemused by 'explain briefly......'.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello SYB............. the point of the thread (started by The Dean) was to highlight the debate about whether the question 'belonged' in an exam.......

My view is yes, but it's a bit beyond the reach of (most) 15-16 year olds. I was also bemused by 'explain briefly......'.
I don't see the problem with the requirement to explain briefly. Often in life we need to give, or receive, brief explanations of complex matters. Some of the best communicators are those who can condense a huge amount of facts into something readily comprehensible for the intended audience. We all know people who will take 10 minutes to say something that could be said in 2, so getting young people to practice what is in effect making a precis is no bad thing in itself.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't see the problem with the requirement to explain briefly. Often in life we need to give, or receive, brief explanations of complex matters. Some of the best communicators are those who can condense a huge amount of facts into something readily comprehensible for the intended audience. We all know people who will take 10 minutes to say something that could be said in 2, so getting young people to practice what is in effect making a precis is no bad thing in itself.
I can explain it in 4 words... my previous post was a (mis)quote from the bible that gives a hint as to the answer...
Old May 30th 2012, 10:36 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Change 'Jews' to 'Muslims' and enjoy the fatwah on your head...

Please don't be an antisemite.
On the subject of words being important "anti-semite" can mean a lot of things since Arabs are also Semites.

Why can't we call it what it is - Anti-Jewish?

Interesting point about the fatwa...not heard of many Jews blowing up people and killing people in broad daylight (like they did with Theo Van Gogh) for insulting their culture or religion.

Still I know which one is a religion of peace - the older one that doesn't require non-adherents to convert in order to be righteous...

N.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:37 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Amen.
I didn't know you spoke Hebrew...

N.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by mentalist
You were lucky. When I was 3 yrs old I had to translate the bible into Latin.
I wish we were that lucky.

We had to translate the bible from Latin into Sumerian, Akkadian and 8th Century Mandarin...and that was after we'd been down the pits all day.

If we were lucky...

N.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:44 am
Hit 16's

ترف

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.