British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/why-do-some-people-hate-jews-gcse-question-759690/)

The Dean May 27th 2012 10:02 am

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Massive controversy back home over this (see link).......

I don't see the problem - prejudice and bigotry are better analysed than ignored - but I'm bemused by 'Explain briefly........'.

Briefly??? What - in less than twenty words, perhaps????

I'm also slightly bewildered that this is a GCSE question - how many 15-16 year olds can answer it convincingly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...GCSE-exam.html

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2012 10:10 am

Re: 'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10084547)
Massive controversy back home over this (see link).......

I don't see the problem - prejudice and bigotry are better analysed than ignored - but I'm bemused by 'Explain briefly........'.

Briefly??? What - in less than twenty words, perhaps????

I'm also slightly bewildered that this is a GCSE question - how many 15-16 year olds can answer it convincingly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...GCSE-exam.html

That's brilliant.

It was in context with what they studied so it's fine.

Millhouse May 27th 2012 10:16 am

Meow May 27th 2012 10:38 am

I don't think it's fine, unless the question refers to other groups of people as well. Don't you think there would have been far more outrage if the questions has been 'Why do some people hate Muslims?'. The question encourages people to look for differences and reasons to hate and the xplanation that it's 'in context' isn't good enough.

Certainly bigotry should be explained in schools and put in context, but it's a very insensitively worded question. It could have been worded far better and still have encouraged a proper response.

Beaverstate May 27th 2012 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10084589)
I don't think it's fine, unless the question refers to other groups of people as well. Don't you think there would have been far more outrage if the questions has been 'Why do some people hate Mulims?'. The question encourages people to look for differences and reasons to hate and the xplanation that it's 'in context' isn't good enough.

Certainly bigotry should be explained in schools and put in context, but it's a very insensitively worded question. It could have been worded far better and still have encouraged a proper response.

Damn well put. Jeez why do some people hate the Jews? If that is what you are told to do 24 hours a day.....

kittycat1 May 27th 2012 10:46 am

Meow- whats a mulim?

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10084589)
I don't think it's fine, unless the question refers to other groups of people as well. Don't you think there would have been far more outrage if the questions has been 'Why do some people hate Mulims?'. The question encourages people to look for differences and reasons to hate and the xplanation that it's 'in context' isn't good enough.

The part of the article I refer to states that it was part of a module / term on Judaism and everything related to it. Including persecution / perceptions etc.

It wasn't a stand alone question.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10084598)
The part of the article I refer to states that it was part of a module / term on Judaism and everything related to it. Including persecution / perceptions etc.

"A spokeswoman for AQA told The Jewish Chronicle that the question “acknowledges that some people hold prejudices; it does not imply in any way that prejudice is justified”.

The exam board insisted that the question was part of a paper focusing on Judaism and the “relevant part of the syllabus covers prejudice and discrimination with reference to race, religion and the Jewish experience of persecution”.

“We would expect [students to refer] to the Holocaust to illustrate prejudice based on irrational fear, ignorance and scapegoating,” she said.

She added: “The board is obviously concerned that this question may have caused offence, as this was absolutely not our intention”. "

Meow May 27th 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10084598)

It still should have been worded differently. Wording is important and that question is both offensive and upsetting to a lot of people. Anyone who has read about the history of anti-Semitism should be well aware of that.

Beaverstate May 27th 2012 10:52 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10084597)
Meow- whats a mulim?

You on spelling:rofl:

Meow May 27th 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10084600)
"A spokeswoman for AQA told The Jewish Chronicle that the question “acknowledges that some people hold prejudices; it does not imply in any way that prejudice is justified”.

The exam board insisted that the question was part of a paper focusing on Judaism and the “relevant part of the syllabus covers prejudice and discrimination with reference to race, religion and the Jewish experience of persecution”.

“We would expect [students to refer] to the Holocaust to illustrate prejudice based on irrational fear, ignorance and scapegoating,” she said.

She added: “The board is obviously concerned that this question may have caused offence, as this was absolutely not our intention”. "

We can all read the link and the pathetic explanation, but it is offensively and insentively worded. It is not an acceptable question in a society that is not supposed to have such vile prejudices. Frankly it's the sort of wording I expect to see in parts of the ME.

The topic itself is a good thing, but the question is clearly written by an insensitive idiot. It could have been written numerous other ways to elicit the appropriate answer.

Meow May 27th 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10084607)
You on spelling:rofl:

I'm cross! I have never learned to type properly and so I make mistakes when typing fast.

Beaverstate May 27th 2012 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10084611)
I'm cross! I have never learned to type properly and so I make mistakes when typing fast.

OK, But that was not written to you:D

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10084602)
It still should have been worded differently. Wording is important and that question is both offensive and upsetting to a lot of people. Anyone who has read about the history of anti-Semitism should be well aware of that.

Yes, agree, the wording isn't exactly sensitive to the situation but if it had been a really well worded and politely put question, ultimately the question would still be the same, no?

Meow May 27th 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10084621)
Yes, agree, the wording isn't exactly sensitive to the situation but if it had been a really well worded and politely put question, ultimately the question would still be the same, no?

The question as it is appears anti-semitic. As I have already said, it's the wording itself that is unacceptable, not what they are trying to achieve.

Words matter.