Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Old May 27th 2012, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

wow. Just as well I deleted my first post - some jokes are best left in my own head.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
What's the definition of brief in GCSE exam terms? In my day of O levels that was several hundred words.
My youngest is doing his AS exams at the moment. He had a "long one" on Friday: 1 3/4 hours. Jeez.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:35 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My youngest is doing his AS exams at the moment. He had a "long one" on Friday: 1 3/4 hours. Jeez.
Seriously? I am sure we had three hour exams.

No wonder they are all lightweights these days.
Old May 27th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
So you keep saying, yes................

Go on then - word it better.

(And am I the only one who thinks this is way too serious/complicated for 15-16 year olds? I'd love to see the 'syllabus' it was allegedly part of. I'd also love to read some of the answers.)
You aren't the only one, I too think the topic is just a bit much for that age group. The question is one of those statements , cause frankly it comes across as an ambiguous statement about as much as a question, that leaves one just dumbfounded and not sure how to respond.

Last edited by Boomhauer; May 27th 2012 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:18 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a poor question because it is both potentially offensive and academically imprecise.

The offence is the obvious implication from the lazy wording that there may be some rational explanation and justification for the prejudice.

The lack of precision allows for speculation and any number of potentially "correct" answers which have no relevance to what the students are supposed to have learned. "Because they are stupid" is an example.

This could easily be addressed by rephrasing something like this:

What factors are believed to have caused prejudice against Jews to become widespread?

It took me a massive 20 seconds to think of phrasing that is both neutral and usefully directed. And this question was set by people who should understand how words can be so simply deployed to inculcate hate and that this subject, above all, requires properly reasoned discussion.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
It is a poor question because it is both potentially offensive and academically imprecise.

The offence is the obvious implication from the lazy wording that there may be some rational explanation and justification for the prejudice.

The lack of precision allows for speculation and any number of potentially "correct" answers which have no relevance to what the students are supposed to have learned. "Because they are stupid" is an example.

This could easily be addressed by rephrasing something like this:

What factors are believed to have caused prejudice against Jews to become widespread?

It took me a massive 20 seconds to think of phrasing that is both neutral and usefully directed. And this question was set by people who should understand how words can be so simply deployed to inculcate hate and that this subject, above all, requires properly reasoned discussion.
"What's happened to make everyone hate Jews"

That's what you just asked.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp
"What's happened to make everyone hate Jews"

That's what you just asked.
No, it isn't.

What I asked could indeed be rephrased as you have, though it would still not be the same question. You also seem to be missing the essential point about this. That is: the very specific words and phrasing of the question matter greatly.

Almost anything can be given an offensive context if you seek to do that. The point is to pick an appropriate phrasing for a question, both to encourage a useful response and to avoid unhelpful misinterpretation. That is what has failed here.

This is an examination question which will have gone through several reviews and revisions before being issued. This one should not have got through.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

No, it isn't.

What I asked could indeed be rephrased as you have, though it would still not be the same question. You also seem to be missing the essential point about this. That is: the very specific words and phrasing of the question matter greatly.

Almost anything can be given an offensive context if you seek to do that. The point is to pick an appropriate phrasing for a question, both to encourage a useful response and to avoid unhelpful misinterpretation. That is what has failed here.

This is an examination question which will have gone through several reviews and revisions before being issued. This one should not have got through.
But I think that the question, however dressed, remains the same fundamentally.

But alas, this was discussed in monumental length yesterday.

Agree with the last point, it would have saved offense if it hadn't been asked (even though I disagree with not asking questions that push boundaries).
Old May 28th 2012, 6:27 am

But I think that the question, however dressed, remains the same fundamentally.

But alas, this was discussed in monumental length yesterday.

Agree with the last point, it would have saved offense if it hadn't been asked (even though I disagree with not asking questions that push boundaries).
I have come late to the conversation but I did not see the point being made explicitly enough about the obligation to make a specific attempt to phrase such a sensitive question appropriately.

I do think the topic should be covered but this was the wrong way to do it.

I agree with you about the need to push boundaries. It should be done in order to make people think about the subject and its wider implications. But it is precisely when pushing such boundaries that great care needs to be taken in exactly how the question is asked. I suspect there was an intention here to be provocative and that was just not appropriate in a public exam.
Old May 28th 2012, 6:47 am
Account Closed

I have come late to the conversation but I did not see the point being made explicitly enough about the obligation to make a specific attempt to phrase such a sensitive question appropriately.

I do think the topic should be covered but this was the wrong way to do it.

I agree with you about the need to push boundaries. It should be done in order to make people think about the subject and its wider implications. But it is precisely when pushing such boundaries that great care needs to be taken in exactly how the question is asked. I suspect there was an intention here to be provocative and that was just not appropriate in a public exam.
Amen.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
(And am I the only one who thinks this is way too serious/complicated for 15-16 year olds? I'd love to see the 'syllabus' it was allegedly part of. I'd also love to read some of the answers.)
Meanwhile, my daughter was recently asked to discuss whether the reasons for Elizabeth 1st's quest for new lands was politically or personally motivated...and she is 8 yrs old and being schooled here. On that basis, I don't think a 15-16 yr old is too young to discuss anti-Semitism.

Last edited by mentalist; May 28th 2012 at 7:06 am.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
Meanwhile, my daughter was recently asked to discuss whether the reasons for Elizabeth 1st's quest for new lands was politically or personally motivated...and she is 8 yrs old and being schooled here. On that basis, I don't think a 15-16 yr old is too young to discuss anti-Semitism.
I don't remember getting such specific questions. We used to get things like "Mao's 5 year plan was successful. Discuss"

Then you debated it with yourself and drew a conclusion.

Wasn't easy at 6 years old, but I managed it.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember getting such specific questions. We used to get things like "Mao's 5 year plan was successful. Discuss"
Then you debated it with yourself and drew a conclusion.
Wasn't easy at 6 years old, but I managed it.
You were lucky. When I was 3 yrs old I had to translate the bible into Latin.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
You were lucky. When I was 3 yrs old I had to translate the bible into Latin.
I did that in the womb.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:54 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I did that in the womb.
My grandfather did it for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.