Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Old May 27th 2012, 12:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Originally Posted by Scamp
You said it 'matters a great deal'.

I don't debate that point and have said that it is always going to cause offense, so I fully understand that it matters.

None of the questions you suggest provide any better way of asking the very same thing.

Kids are taught about certain things in the two years of GCSE study. The exam board can ask questions on any aspect of it. I think it would be more offensive to people if they were deliberately not teaching about the Jewish religion, practices, features, beliefs and history to avoid asking a question like that and potentially causing upset.
I did say it matters a great deal - because it does. It's a statement of fact.

My questions are less offensive.

No one is suggesting that the topic should not be taught. Children are not so stupid that they cannot appreciate that some issues are sensitive to some people.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:17 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Completely agree - and I think it's THAT that makes the question unsuitable, not the wording..........

Coming soon: "In fifty words or less, discuss the relationship between loyalist Protestants and republican Catholics in West Belfast between 1969 and 2002".
Some refinements added and a one word answer

Tempestuous

yes i know it was rhetorical
Old May 27th 2012, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
I did say it matters a great deal - because it does. It's a statement of fact.

My questions are less offensive.

No one is suggesting that the topic should not be taught. Children are not so stupid that they cannot appreciate that some issues are sensitive to some people.
Look, I'm not trying to piss you off, but I just think that the question is a reasonable one to ask given then Jewish modern history and I'm not sure that it will be taken well by everybody however it is worded / dressed up.

What is probably right, is maybe to just not ask the question to save anyone from getting upset?

But then are you (the exam board) hiding from large parts of history?

I wouldn't want to have to write an exam, I know that.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:27 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree - and I think it's THAT that makes the question unsuitable, not the wording..........

Coming soon: "In fifty words or less, discuss the relationship between Protestants and Catholics in West Belfast between 1969 and 2002".
Bullets.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Some refinements added and a one word answer

Tempestuous

yes i know it was rhetorical
Tempestuous?? They are 15-16 year olds.......... I would expect an answer like "Sooooo harsh...."

Thank you for the amendment to the question though.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not asking the question doesn't make it all go away. (Eurgh horrid negative contruction - sorry!) We learn history partly to try and not repeat the same mistakes. I just happen to believe that it can be taught sensitively as well as honestly.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:33 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And as if it wasn't (in)senstitive enough, the Torygraph did a Daily-Fail by changing “why some people are prejudiced against Jews” to "why do some people hate jews?". Bit of a difference there.

Meow, would you object to a (in fact, the) question: Why are some people prejudiced against Jews?

In fact the Torygraph has been very disingenuous here: prejudice and hatred are different things. Although they often go together, they can be separated.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And as if it wasn't (in)senstitive enough, the Torygraph did a Daily-Fail by changing “why some people are prejudiced against Jews” to "why do some people hate jews?". Bit of a difference there.

Meow, would you object to a (in fact, the) question: Why are some people prejudiced against Jews?

In fact the Torygraph has been very disingenuous here: prejudice and hatred are different things. Although they often go together, they can be separated.
I still think it's the 'explain briefly' bit that's mind-boggling........... and I think it would be a superb and academically challenging question at, say, first-year university level in a Theology degree (or even a History degree) - but at GCSE???
Old May 27th 2012, 12:40 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Don't you think it's still a rather loaded question? I don't like it.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't you think it's still a rather loaded question? I don't like it.
What about "Why doesn't everybody hate the Jews?" - now that's loaded......
Old May 27th 2012, 12:49 pm
Bored liberal

What about "Why doesn't everybody hate the Jews?" - now that's loaded......
Change 'Jews' to 'Muslims' and enjoy the fatwah on your head...

Please don't be an antisemite.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Change 'Jews' to 'Muslims' and enjoy the fatwah on your head...

Please don't be an antisemite.
Oh please........... me, of all people? Come on...........

I think it's a valid exam question. Yes, the wording could have been more sensitively done, but those issues are important to examine and understand, not sweep under the carpet like some people in that article were suggesting (the Head of Hasmonean High School, one of the best schools in the country, full stop, should be ashamed of himself).

But I still think it's too deep and complex for 15-16 year olds - if they get marked poorly on that one, it won't be their fault. Explain briefly, indeed.......

x
Old May 27th 2012, 1:21 pm
Bored liberal

Oh please........... me, of all people? Come on...........

I think it's a valid exam question. Yes, the wording could have been more sensitively done, but those issues are important to examine and understand, not sweep under the carpet like some people in that article were suggesting (the Head of Hasmonean High School, one of the best schools in the country, full stop, should be ashamed of himself).

But I still think it's too deep and complex for 15-16 year olds - if they get marked poorly on that one, it won't be their fault. Explain briefly, indeed.......

x
What's the definition of brief in GCSE exam terms? In my day of O levels that was several hundred words.

Brief answer to the question: Some people are such utter bigots that they are willing to treat millions of people as if they were all just the same. Others are jealous of success or things that they don't understand. The world has always had narrow-minded bigots, will always have them, but we can recognise and try and stop them. Bizarrely a minority of people don't like violins and smoked salmon and get upset at those who don't eat pork and like funny hats. *shrugs*
Old May 27th 2012, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's the definition of brief in GCSE exam terms? In my day of O levels that was several hundred words.

Brief answer to the question: Some people are such utter bigots that they are willing to treat millions of people as if they were all just the same. Others are jealous of success or things that they don't understand. The world has always had narrow-minded bigots, will always have them, but we can recognise and try and stop them. Bizarrely a minority of people don't like violins and smoked salmon and get upset at those who don't eat pork and like funny hats. *shrugs*
C-minus (see me)...........
Old May 27th 2012, 1:26 pm
Bored liberal

C-minus (see me)...........
Pft. No interest in your goyisher marks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.