Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Old May 27th 2012, 11:09 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Why do some people hate Jews?' - GCSE question

Originally Posted by Meow
The question as it is appears anti-semitic. As I have already said, it's the wording itself that is unacceptable, not what they are trying to achieve.

Words matter.
Funny how wording means everything, yet seems to achieve nothing. Still comes down to who has the most tanks, fighters, SAMS and who knows how to use them.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The question as it is appears anti-semitic. As I have already said, it's the wording itself that is unacceptable, not what they are trying to achieve.

Words matter.
Yes, agree. Also agree that words matter too. I think it's a good question to ask a kid to answer if better worded.

But you'd still be asking the exact same question fundamentally.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yes, agree. Also agree that words matter too. I think it's a good question to ask a kid to answer if better worded.

But you'd still be asking the exact same question fundamentally.
So teach them properly and word it correctly and sensitively. That should be part of the lesson.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So teach them properly and word it correctly and sensitively. That should be part of the lesson.
So you keep saying, yes................

Go on then - word it better.

(And am I the only one who thinks this is way too serious/complicated for 15-16 year olds? I'd love to see the 'syllabus' it was allegedly part of. I'd also love to read some of the answers.)
Old May 27th 2012, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't think you can. It still results in offense because it remains the same question / answer.

Difficult to make the above sound like I'm disagreeing with you because I'm not, I just don't see this sort of thing not upsetting someone if you want to ask the question
Old May 27th 2012, 11:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
So you keep saying, yes................

Go on then - word it better.

(And am I the only one who thinks this is way too serious/complicated for 15-16 year olds? I'd love to see the 'syllabus' it was allegedly part of. I'd also love to read some of the answers.)
Surely anyone has the sense to word that better without it being spelled out?

I haven't see the full syllabus so I don't know if this is purely related to Nazi Germany and the Holocaust or a more general discussion. That would make a difference, but some suggestions for starters:

Why was anti-semitism prevalent in Nazi Germany?
For what reason was anti-semitism encouraged?
Explain some of the reasons for the persecution of Jews?
Why, as a group, have Jews been subject to persecution and hatred?

Last edited by Meow; May 27th 2012 at 11:41 am.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:31 am
Bored liberal

I don't think you can. It still results in offense because it remains the same question / answer.

Difficult to make the above sound like I'm disagreeing with you because I'm not, I just don't see this sort of thing not upsetting someone if you want to ask the question

Do you know any Jews who have been persecuted in any way, or been subject to ant-Semitic abuse or prejudice? I am telling you that it matters a great deal.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Surely anyone has the sense to word that better without it being spelled out?

I haven't see the full syllabus so I don't know if this is purely related to Nazi Germany and the Holocaust or a more general discussion. That would make a difference, but some suggestions for starters:

Why was anti-semitism been prevalent in Nazi Germany?
For what reason was anti-semitism encouraged?
Explain some of the reasons for the persecution of Jews?
Why, as a group, have Jews been subject to persecution and hatred?
You're giving that age group too much credit for intelligence - they won't ask a question that contains words that candidates might not understand (Anti-semitism, persecution, etc). I'm not joking. The actual chosen wording is clearly understood - yours are not, to a typical cross-section of GCSE candidates.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:40 am
Bored liberal

You're giving that age group too much credit for intelligence - they won't ask a question that contains words that candidates might not understand (Anti-semitism, persecution, etc). I'm not joking. The actual chosen wording is clearly understood - yours are not, to a typical cross-section of GCSE candidates.

If they are being taught about the issue then the words antisemitism and persecution would be used. If they are 15 or 16 they are perfectly capable of understanding and then using them when used as part of the course.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If they are being taught about the issue then the words antisemitism and persecution would be used. If they are 15 or 16 they are perfectly capable of understanding and then using them when used as part of the course.
Your comment applies to the top, say, 10-15 percent of the nation's 15-16 year olds.

By the way - what did YOU think of the requirement to "Explain, briefly......"?
Old May 27th 2012, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Do you know any Jews who have been persecuted in any way, or been subject to ant-Semitic abuse or prejudice? I am telling you that it matters a great deal.
Not sure why you think I've said it doesn't matter?

I'm saying that regardless of how it's worded, it is still going to be offensive to someone.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Not sure why you think I've said it doesn't matter?

I'm saying that regardless of how it's worded, it is still going to be offensive to someone.
Do show me where I've said you don't think it matter...

Some things matter a great deal to many people. A little more sensitivity from some would be helpful
Old May 27th 2012, 11:55 am
Bored liberal

Your comment applies to the top, say, 10-15 percent of the nation's 15-16 year olds.

By the way - what did YOU think of the requirement to "Explain, briefly......"?

Two words: dumbing down.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Two words: dumbing down.
Completely agree - and I think it's THAT that makes the question unsuitable, not the wording..........

Coming soon: "In fifty words or less, discuss the relationship between Protestants and Catholics in West Belfast between 1969 and 2002".
Old May 27th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Do show me where I've said you don't think it matter...

Some things matter a great deal to many people. A little more sensitivity from some would be helpful
You said it 'matters a great deal'.

I don't debate that point and have said that it is always going to cause offense, so I fully understand that it matters.

None of the questions you suggest provide any better way of asking the very same thing.

Kids are taught about certain things in the two years of GCSE study. The exam board can ask questions on any aspect of it. I think it would be more offensive to people if they were deliberately not teaching about the Jewish religion, practices, features, beliefs and history to avoid asking a question like that and potentially causing upset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.