British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/why-643418/)

Alexa Dec 4th 2009 7:37 pm

Why?

So, now we get "seasonal " greetings, buy "holiday" trees, have "festive" dinners and are supposed to get into a "festive" mood .....But I want a Christmas tree, a Christmas card and Christmas dinner....where has it all gone?
Has the pc brigade snatched it away and hidden it in a deep , dark cellar,so it can't offend anybody ?

You know what, I still have some left from years long gone...I shall dust it off and show it to the world in all its glory...I don't give a shit if it offends anybody!

Merry Christmas!

XXXX Alexa

Jeeper Dec 4th 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Why?

If it's christmas, it's christmas.
If you're disabled, you're disabled.
If you're black, you're black.
If you're retarded, you're retarded.
If you're fat, you're fat...if you're skinny, you're skinny.

A burger is a burger, it's not a sandwhich.

Calling a burger a sandwhich is not fooling anyone....it's a temporary thing where it sounds healthier until such time has passed until we all consider a sandwhich to be an unhealthy item of cooked meat between 2 bread buns typically served at McD's, burger king etc.....and once that happens the 'sandwhich' will have the same negative connotations that the 'burger' had. And so they'll have to rename it again!

We can't call people who are retarded 'retarded'. We have to call then 'mentally challenged'. If the PC people have their way....eventually the word retarded disappears from the public conscience. But all that happens is the term 'mentally challenged' becomes a negative term and the PC brigade will have to rename it again.

It's pointless renaming things because the new name still represents the same thing as the old name.

I never understand why Pakistanis get offended about being called "paki's". Australians are called Aussies and they don't kick up a stink.

littlejimmy Dec 4th 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8147136)

I never understand why Pakistanis get offended about being called "paki's". Australians are called Aussies and they don't kick up a stink.

Oh, God, not again...

:banghead:

By the way, retard is a horrible word. It just sounds horrible, IMO.

And despite what the likes of the Mail will have you believe, Christmas and the use of the word Christmas is alive and well here in the UK. It's still a shameless commercial opportunity, consumerist orgy and an excuse for a piss-up.

Happy Birthday, Jesus. Have a sprout!

Hello.Kitty Dec 4th 2009 9:41 pm

hey, the souvenir camel stall in Ibn Battuta is selling Dubai-souvenir Christmas cards with a pretty picture of the star over Bethlehem... if Bethlehem had the Burj Dubai, Emirates Towers and a minaret in the distance.

Going like Hot Cross Buns, no doubt!

"R-tard" is definitely a less offensive insult...

Lites Dec 5th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8147097)
So, now we get "seasonal " greetings, buy "holiday" trees, have "festive" dinners and are supposed to get into a "festive" mood .....But I want a Christmas tree, a Christmas card and Christmas dinner....where has it all gone?
Has the pc brigade snatched it away and hidden it in a deep , dark cellar,so it can't offend anybody ?

You know what, I still have some left from years long gone...I shall dust it off and show it to the world in all its glory...I don't give a shit if it offends anybody!

Merry Christmas!

XXXX Alexa

Because it comes with the territory ... that's why.
yes...of course the pc r'tard brigade are beavering away,.. chipping at your conscience.
Attagirl, go show them, they can bend you but they can't break you.

Lites Dec 5th 2009 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8147136)
If it's christmas, it's christmas.
If you're disabled, you're disabled.
If you're black, you're black.
If you're retarded, you're retarded.
If you're fat, you're fat...if you're skinny, you're skinny.

A burger is a burger, it's not a sandwhich.

Calling a burger a sandwhich is not fooling anyone....it's a temporary thing where it sounds healthier until such time has passed until we all consider a sandwhich to be an unhealthy item of cooked meat between 2 bread buns typically served at McD's, burger king etc.....and once that happens the 'sandwhich' will have the same negative connotations that the 'burger' had. And so they'll have to rename it again!

We can't call people who are retarded 'retarded'. We have to call then 'mentally challenged'. If the PC people have their way....eventually the word retarded disappears from the public conscience. But all that happens is the term 'mentally challenged' becomes a negative term and the PC brigade will have to rename it again.

It's pointless renaming things because the new name still represents the same thing as the old name.

Whew,

I got you after re-reading jeepers - call a spade for what it is, right?
So you're saying that Pakistani people should accept that we call them paki's because that's what they are?

They should accept the diminutive and insulting reference that our parents gave them because it's the truth?

Because, to be honest Jeepers, these people didn't have an easy time a few generations back.

They didn't call themselves paki's..and they learned to associate the term with disrespect in the same way that Chinese had to deal with being called chinks or gooks and the Africans were labelled in equally disparaging terms.
In short, they weren't seen or treated as whole human beings, they were considered as inferior or unworthy human beings.

You, my friend, need to look a bit deeper and understand, that the revised, 'no offence intended', doesn't work because these other cultures are justified in their distrusting attitude.
It wasn't so long ago that the terms we used were intended in a hostile manner and it persists to this day amongst people like yourself who are content to go along with old labels and refuse to review what you see for yourself, that is, if you care to look.

Lites Dec 5th 2009 1:49 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8147327)
Oh, God, not again...

:banghead:

By the way, retard is a horrible word. It just sounds horrible, IMO.

And despite what the likes of the Mail will have you believe, Christmas and the use of the word Christmas is alive and well here in the UK. It's still a shameless commercial opportunity, consumerist orgy and an excuse for a piss-up.

Happy Birthday, Jesus. Have a sprout!

Well, why not? littlejimmy,

as an agnostic, I welcome it as a time for a Nation to unite in their Good Will,
can't ignore that aspect.

You, by the way, well, you're a really cool guy. No suckin, you go a bit deeper. .... cue the others with their enjoyably inane schoolboy humour.:D

Lites Dec 5th 2009 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8147333)

"R-tard" is definitely a less offensive insult...

True,.......but still offensive and outdated.

skalwani Dec 5th 2009 2:11 am

Merry Christmas!

XXXX Alexa

Alexa:
Reading your post - reminded me of this old piece of humor, been circulating for ages ever since email was invented and it has gotten appropriate updates since then.

Enjoy!
--SK
------------------------------------------------

Company Memo
TO: All Employees
DATE: October 1, 2009
RE: Gala Christmas Party
I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23rd, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We'll have a small band playing traditional carols... feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00 PM. Exchanges of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only for employees!
Our CEO will make a special announcement at that time!
Merry Christmas to you and your family,
Patty

1 Day later....

Company Memo
DATE: October 2, 2009
RE: Gala Holiday Party
In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Hanukkah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on, we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians and to those still celebrating Reconciliation Day. There will be no Christmas tree and no Christmas carols will be sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment.
Happy now?
Happy Holidays to you and your family,
Patty

2 days later....

Company Memo
DATE: October 3, 2009
RE: Holiday Party
Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table, you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only", you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this?
Somebody?
And sorry, but forget about the gift exchange, no gifts are allowed since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money and the executives believe $10.00 is a little chintzy.
REMEMBER: NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

3 days later....

Company Memo
To: All Employees
DATE: October 4, 2009
RE: Generic Holiday Party
What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20th begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party or else package everything for you to take it home in little foil doggy baggy. Will that work?
Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the dessert buffet, and pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms.
Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each group will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangement for the Gay men's table.
To the person asking permission to cross dress, the Grill House asks that no cross-dressing be allowed, apparently because of concerns about confusion in the restrooms. Sorry.
We will have booster seats for short people.
Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet.
I am sorry to report that we cannot control the amount of salt used in the food. The Grill House suggests that people with high blood pressure taste a bite first.
There will be fresh "low sugar" fruits as dessert for diabetics, but the restaurant cannot supply "no sugar" desserts. Sorry!
Did I miss anything?!?!?
Patty

4 days later....

Company Memo
TO: All F*%^ing Employees
DATE: October 5, 2009
RE: The F*%^ing Holiday Party
I've had it with you vegetarian pricks!!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, and you'll get your f*%^ing salad bar, including organic tomatoes. But you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right NOW!
The rest of you f*%^ing wierdos can kiss my *ss. I hope you all have a rotten holiday!
Drive drunk and die,
The B*tch from H*ll!!!

5 days later....

Company Memo
DATE: October 6, 2009
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery and I'll continue to forward your cards to her.
In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.
Happy Holidays!
Joan

Blue Cat Dec 5th 2009 5:21 am

Merry Christmas!

XXXX Alexa

get your butt back over here Alexa, the Malls are full of it!! Mitten met Santa the other night at Wafi :)

soukie Dec 5th 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8147892)
get your butt back over here Alexa, the Malls are full of it!! Mitten met Santa the other night at Wafi :)

Ah yes but did they use the Christmas word? Lot's in Abu Dhabi too but I'll have to check the wording on the banners!

Alexa Dec 5th 2009 7:31 am

lol...he is here too...see, the problem lies not here, but in the West...will they "rename " him too? Maybe he could be the ..Subjectively Beatified Nicholas???

Funny thing is, I think there may be more people offended by this "holiday" etc business than people being offended by the use of the original terms.

oh, and to make it easy on them, the Easter Egg could be the "Vacation Ovum"...how about it? :eek:

lionheart Dec 5th 2009 7:32 am

Its the traditional lighting of the Christmas Tree at Irish Village at 7pm Monday with mince pies, carol singing and mulberry wine. Get yourself over here, Alexa.

Alexa Dec 5th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8148023)
Its the traditional lighting of the Christmas Tree at Irish Village at 7pm Monday with mince pies, carol singing and mulberry wine. Get yourself over here, Alexa.

I wish I could :(

davidhendry Dec 5th 2009 9:22 am

Jesus is, I believe, a prophet in Islam, so no problems celebrating His birth in an Islamic country.

Who are these pc dickheads? Westminster thieves?

Can you still ask for a black pudding?

In the spirit of the topic, my name is David. Don`t want any of you non pc wallahs calling me Davie. How f****** stupid can people get. People of influence, no doubt.

Another thing, don`t call me jock. Call me Britjock, thats what I AM, and proud of it.

Have a very merry christmas all you non pc people.

Regards,
Davie. oops, David.