British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Who's the next PM (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whos-next-pm-925163/)

DXBtoDOH May 22nd 2019 3:54 pm

Who's the next PM

Rumour is May may resign tonight. Whenever it is, her time is up very soon.

Who will replace her? Who do you have your money on? BoJo? Andrea Leadsom? Dominic Raab? Esther McVey?

Pulaski May 22nd 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Who's the next PM

I would question the sanity of anyone who would take the role before Brexit is either a done deal or abandoned.. If Theresa May resigns I foresee a general election.

DXBtoDOH May 22nd 2019 4:37 pm

True.

Lidington is rumoured to be the caretaker PM pending a leadership contest. So he'd technically be the next PM.

As for a GE. Probably. Not not quite yet.

Novocastrian May 22nd 2019 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12687426)
I would question the sanity of anyone who would take the role before Brexit is either a done deal or abandoned.. If Theresa May resigns I foresee a general election.

You haven't been following. If Bojo gets the job, he'll immediately become a remainer. The JOB is all he wants, but he'll f**k it up.

Pulaski May 22nd 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12687438)
You haven't been following. If Bojo gets the job, he'll immediately become a remainer. The JOB is all he wants, but he'll f**k it up.

I think it's you who hasn't been following. … Boris could have easily snatched the job after the Brexit vote if that is all he wanted, but he recognized it for the poisoned chalice that it is during the Brexit process, and he is too astute a politician to take it before the dust settles.

Novocastrian May 22nd 2019 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12687441)
I think it's you who hasn't been following. … Boris could have easily snatched the job after the Brexit vote if that is all he wanted, but he recognized it for the poisoned chalice that it is during the Brexit process, and he is too astute a politician to take it before the dust settles.

He pulled out because Gove stabbed him in the back. And he's about as astute as a donkey in pantomime mode.

DXBtoDOH May 22nd 2019 6:52 pm

Premature after all. She won't go tonight. And 1922 choked again. But Leadsom is out!

Who's next?

Any predictions on the EU elections? Will the Tories perform under 10%? Wouldn't be surprised.

scrubbedexpat141 May 23rd 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12687445)
He pulled out because Gove stabbed him in the back. And he's about as astute as a donkey in pantomime mode.

Megalols. BoJo astute as a donkey in panto mode. If you think that, he's cleverer than you.

UKCityGent May 23rd 2019 8:03 am

Id vote for BoJo - personally need some fun in politics and if the USA can vote a buffoon why the incarnations cants we ??

BritInParis May 23rd 2019 8:18 am

It can only be Boris - in which case it probably won’t be. The front runner never wins in Tory leadership contests and he’s p****d off too many people in the Parliamentary Conservative Party to get on the membership ballot paper. That being said he’s likely to be the only contender to put Corbyn to bed. Will today’s shellacking in the polls focus minds? We’ll see.

BritInParis May 23rd 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12687720)
Id vote for BoJo - personally need some fun in politics and if the USA can vote a buffoon why the incarnations cants we ??

It’s a pity this won’t be done in time for Trump’s state visit for the hair alone :hehe:

spouse of scouse May 23rd 2019 8:34 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12687729)
It’s a pity this won’t be done in time for Trump’s state visit for the hair alone :hehe:

Oh you are awful, but I like you :hehe:

scot47 May 23rd 2019 8:45 pm

I am backing Daffy Duck.

Moses2013 May 24th 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12688104)
I am backing Daffy Duck.

Novocastrian Jun 18th 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12687708)
Megalols. BoJo astute as a donkey in panto mode. If you think that, he's cleverer than you.

I'm just a drive-by poster on this thread, but I strongly disagree with your remark. I agree that's he's more narcissistic and psychopathic though.

scot47 Jun 18th 2019 7:43 pm

Johnson should be in The Psych Ward.

BritInParis Jun 18th 2019 8:46 pm

I see ‘Operation Stop Boris’ morphed into ‘Stop Raab’. The only committed Brexiteer quietly neutered.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 19th 2019 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12699828)
I'm just a drive-by poster on this thread, but I strongly disagree with your remark. I agree that's he's more narcissistic and psychopathic though.

No problems at all, you or I can disagree with whatever we like, although I can't comment on yours or his psychopathic and narcissistic tendencies...

nottmbantam Jun 19th 2019 7:14 am

Watched the debate last night. Can't for the life of me see why Johnson is so popular. First question re Brexit, and what are your plans. Spoke for two mins about everything that had gone wrong ( to which he had contributed significantly). No mention of what he would do.

Gove, Hunt, Javid all very bland , predictable and uninspiring. Stewart sounds like he should be leading the Labour Party. Spend more money on public services rather than tax cuts.

Jingsamichty Jun 19th 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12700065)
Watched the debate last night. Can't for the life of me see why Johnson is so popular. First question re Brexit, and what are your plans. Spoke for two mins about everything that had gone wrong ( to which he had contributed significantly). No mention of what he would do.

Gove, Hunt, Javid all very bland , predictable and uninspiring. Stewart sounds like he should be leading the Labour Party. Spend more money on public services rather than tax cuts.

Johnson is popular because of the traditional British enjoyment of a naughty schoolboy. In itself, that's fair enough... that's why he should be on HIGNFY and writing a jolly-wheeze column. It's a truly dreadful reason to elect him as Prime Minister, but that's apparently what the blue-rinsers and retired Majors who make up the bulk Conservative Party membership want. Terrifying.

BritInParis Jun 19th 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12700081)
Johnson is popular because of the traditional British enjoyment of a naughty schoolboy. In itself, that's fair enough... that's why he should be on HIGNFY and writing a jolly-wheeze column. It's a truly dreadful reason to elect him as Prime Minister, but that's apparently what the blue-rinsers and retired Majors who make up the bulk Conservative Party membership want. Terrifying.

The party membership want the same thing as the majority of the country - to leave the EU. They believe that Boris is the only person who can deliver. That may be debatable but what is not is that all other considerations are moot because if the Tory party goes into another general election without us having left then they will be annihilated.

scot47 Jun 20th 2019 8:35 am

"The majority of the country" ie England. We in Scotland voted to stay. Old Etonian Johnson is anathema to most of my fellow-Scots. Time to bid the Union "adieu"

So long it was good to know you.

NorthernLad Jun 20th 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12700587)
"The majority of the country" ie England. We in Scotland voted to stay. Old Etonian Johnson is anathema to most of my fellow-Scots. Time to bid the Union "adieu"

It was a democratic decision to stay. Suck it up.

nottmbantam Jun 20th 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12700081)

Exactly. The very time I ever heard his name was on HIGNFY, and thought he was some sort of comedian. Couldn't believe my ears when I heard he was elected as Mayor of London. Now he wants to be PM and people actually think this is a good idea. Speechless.

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12700107)
The party membership want the same thing as the majority of the country - to leave the EU. They believe that Boris is the only person who can deliver. That may be debatable but what is not is that all other considerations are moot because if the Tory party goes into another general election without us having left then they will be annihilated.

This is what puzzles me, I can't see what qualities he brings to the table as a serious negotiator or why people think he's a good candidate. He voted against May's W/A twice, and then voted in favour of it the third time.

Contract here in KSA ends next year, and it would potentially be a return back to Blighty next year. Already dreading the thought of it.

scot47 Jun 20th 2019 12:57 pm

The majority in Scotland did not vote to leave. Such THAT up as you watch the Union of 1707 dissolve. You might miss all those oil revenues. And access to the fish ! Suck that up as you wallow in post-Brexit, post imperial poverty !

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 20th 2019 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12700664)
The majority in Scotland did not vote to leave. Such THAT up as you watch the Union of 1707 dissolve. You might miss all those oil revenues. And access to the fish ! Suck that up as you wallow in post-Brexit, post imperial poverty !

But they did vote to remain as part of the UK.
The UK voted to leave the EU.
Scotland is part of the UK.

scot47 Jun 21st 2019 4:06 am

Not for much longer, Monsieur Scamp ! Come up here and smell the coffee !

Novocastrian Jun 21st 2019 3:23 pm

Your analysis is normally more refined than that. Not a single person in the Tory party believes that Boris can deliver brexit without calling a General Election first. They believe that he has a slightly better chance of improving the Tories' numbers in the next parliament compared to the other candidates. They might be right since he is the most mendacious and unprincipled of the lot He has no moral compass at all.

Eeyore Jun 21st 2019 7:22 pm

The party membership want the same thing as the majority of the country - to leave the EU

Let's get the terms of reference right.

If you define "the country" as "the total population", 25% voted to leave the EU.
If you define "the country" as "the electorate", 37% voted to leave the EU.

The best you can say in respect of Brexit is "the majority of those who voted", which is *very* different to "the majority of the country" (which implies more than 50% of either the population or electorate).

The idea that Brexit is actively desired by literally more than half the population of the UK is a pernicious one, but it wasn't close to being true in 2016 and if anything it's even less close to being true today.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It was a democratic decision to stay. Suck it up

Ah yes, now what was the official Tory Party line for that referendum? "Voting No is the only way Scotland can guarantee to stay in the EU"...

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They might be right since [Johnson] is the most mendacious and unprincipled of the lot He has no moral compass at all

Which is why it's hilarious that the wizened old golf club bigots who'll crown Johnson think that they can trust him to deliver Brexit.

As he has demonstrated time and again, he is utterly untrustworthy, will say whatever he thinks the person in front of him needs to hear, and will pivot 180º on any of his stated positions at any moment. He's managed to persuade the One Nation Tories that he's the buffoonish but moderate Mayor of London, he's managed to persuade the hard-right Brexiters and Ukippers that he's a Muslim-bashing nationalist.

Both can't be true, so... who does he betray first?

Millhouse Jun 22nd 2019 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 12701166)
Let's get the terms of reference right.

If you define "the country" as "the total population", 25% voted to leave the EU.
If you define "the country" as "the electorate", 37% voted to leave the EU.

Then again your argument also holds for those that voted to remain. Technically, using your analysis, there were not enough votes for anything.

scot47 Jun 22nd 2019 7:06 am

I see where this is going. Next we will be hearing -"The Supreme Leader will close Parliament and he will decide for us !"

Johnnyboy11 Jun 22nd 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12701325)
I see where this is going. Next we will be hearing -"The Supreme Leader will close Parliament and he will decide for us !"

The supreme leader being Jean Claude Juncker, President of Scotland and other members of the European Federation, all using the Euro and protected by the European Army? That's where I see things heading, Boris or no Boris.

Eeyore Jun 22nd 2019 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12701305)
Then again your argument also holds for those that voted to remain. Technically, using your analysis, there were not enough votes for anything.

Indeed. Which is why, of course, even Farage said in May 2016 that the result needed to be a two-thirds majority either way to be definitive. He said that a 52-48 win for Remain would be "unfinished business by a long way" and he'd immediately start campaigning for a second referendum.

He doesn't like being reminded of that these days, for some reason :)

scot47 Jun 22nd 2019 9:11 pm

Juncker is not the one who has been talking about "proroguing Parliament" The anti-democrats are the Old Etonians who aspire to be leaders.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 23rd 2019 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 12701474)
Indeed. Which is why, of course, even Farage said in May 2016 that the result needed to be a two-thirds majority either way to be definitive. He said that a 52-48 win for Remain would be "unfinished business by a long way" and he'd immediately start campaigning for a second referendum.

He doesn't like being reminded of that these days, for some reason :)

For the same reason he didn't like being asked about the £350 million quid?

TGFKASE Jun 24th 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12700831)
But they did vote to remain as part of the UK.
The UK voted to leave the EU.
Scotland is part of the UK.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12700899)
Not for much longer, Monsieur Scamp ! Come up here and smell the coffee !

The Scots were told that the only way to be a part of the EU was to stay in the UK....

Scots voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. In fact, a far greater percentage see EU Membership more important than UK membership...

Ergo, if the UK leaves the EU, Scotland leaves the UK....

Millhouse Jun 24th 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 12702006)
The Scots were told that the only way to be a part of the EU was to stay in the UK....

Scots voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. In fact, a far greater percentage see EU Membership more important than UK membership...

Ergo, if the UK leaves the EU, Scotland leaves the UK....

please don’t make promises you can’t keep.

TGFKASE Jun 24th 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12700587)

If being dragged out of the EU against their wishes wasn't enough to get Scots voting to quit the Union, having BJ foisted on us will be the straw that breaks the camels back.....

TGFKASE Jun 24th 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12702007)

please don’t make promises you can’t keep.

Now now, Millhouse.. Surely you dont believe all that 'Scotland is a drain on the UK' BS, do you?

Millhouse Jun 24th 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 12702010)
Now now, Millhouse.. Surely you dont believe all that 'Scotland is a drain on the UK' BS, do you?

Of course I don’t. Equally, I’m sure you don’t believe Scotland can stand on its own two feet in the word.