Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?

Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?

Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Totally agree with the rest of your post. After 4 1/2 years I was glad to leave, even though I didn't realise it at the time. I miss some things, but the brazen and unremitting hypocrisy always niggled. I have great difficult taking any Khaleeji seriously.
I'm just beyond that time period myself. I struggle with long stints here without a break (6months is a normal limit) because of all the usual 'problems' of getting through life in this city. More and more niggles are feeling permanent though. GOing to have to do something very Dubai like buy a Range Rover to appease these feelings.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'll have you know there's at least 20 travel guidebooks on my shelves.

They count, don't they?
They definitely do. We have nowhere near that many but quite a few.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm just beyond that time period myself. I struggle with long stints here without a break (6months is a normal limit) because of all the usual 'problems' of getting through life in this city. More and more niggles are feeling permanent though. GOing to have to do something very Dubai like buy a Range Rover to appease these feelings.

They definitely do. We have nowhere near that many but quite a few.
Dubai's a piece of piss man , it's all downhill for most after their stint in DXB . It is what it is , you should never take it too seriously tough chief .

Everybody leaves eventually
Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Dubai's a piece of piss man , it's all downhill for most after their stint in DXB . It is what it is , you should never take it too seriously tough chief .

Everybody leaves eventually
True. We're having a shuffle around work-wise at the moment and it should only be positive for me. Doing a little qualification on the side too and the enjoyment of winter in the Middle East gives me plenty to be happy about.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My husband had a very good stop-over in Dubai some years ago for his 50th thanks to the help from the good people of this forum.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In just a few years Dubai has developed into a real hub for those travelling long-haul from East to West.
For me it is still too much like "Blade Runner Meets Abdulalbulbul Emir".
Old Oct 21st 2015, 10:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

All stupid articles like that one do is allow people to reinforce their prejudices. Of course this place is far from perfect, no one with a modicum of sense claims otherwise, but it's also not the "shithole" that someone I know in the UK claimed. There were then the predictable cliches about it just being tall buildings and shopping malls with nothing to do but shop or sit on a beach which we all know is utter crap.

To have the nerve to write a slag off piece without even having stepped out of the airport shows some brass neck. It was Germain Greer who wrote about Dubai having spend a few hours here and almost all of that on a Big Bus tour and the infamous Johan Hari article has been wholly discredited.

I was slightly amused by comments from people claiming they'd never come here as it's awful, too Islamic, they don't like the laws etc yet the same people happily go to Bali (executes drug traffickers) or China (never heard of human rights) so it's just snottiness.

There are utter ***** in every city, not just here and most of us do out best to avoid the types who think they getting pissed in Barnasti is the pinnacle of success.

Such ill-informed pieces will continue to be posted as they are marvelous clickbait. Another bit of nonsense will be along in a few months and won't alter opinions either way.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:33 am
Account Closed

This is quite a funny and well put together response

Response
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:49 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Meow;11776254] the types who think they getting pissed in Barnasti is the pinnacle of success.
/QUOTE]

you know in my 4th year here now and I have never been there, didnt really saw the attraction of it all, I like my places to be quiet and absolutely deserted!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:26 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Irishbeekeeper;11776526]
Originally Posted by Meow
the types who think they getting pissed in Barnasti is the pinnacle of success.
/QUOTE]

you know in my 4th year here now and I have never been there, didnt really saw the attraction of it all, I like my places to be quiet and absolutely deserted!
I went on my very first full day here. Enjoyed it because of the company but I hate plastic pint pots so refuse to go there.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Scamp;11776907]
Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper

I went on my very first full day here. Enjoyed it because of the company but I hate plastic pint pots so refuse to go there.
You should only ever drink out of plastic glasses at a gypsies wedding
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

'Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?'.....anyone living in Saudi Arabia.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by super_hans
'Who in their right mind would want to visit Dubai?'.....anyone living in Saudi Arabia.
Except that anyone in their right mind wouldn't be in Saudi in the first place...
Old Oct 26th 2015, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in KSA on and off for 17 years. Are you saying I am raving mad ? The doctors say that I am cured !
Old Oct 26th 2015, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I was in KSA on and off for 17 years. Are you saying I am raving mad ? The doctors say that I am cured !
madness is relative - but it explains a lot of things about you
Old Oct 26th 2015, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After KSA, I thought Dubai was too much like Essex. For softies !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.