British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Who is off to the races then (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/who-off-races-then-661408/)

rowell Mar 27th 2010 9:20 am

Who is off to the races then

Well open to abuse tomorrow her are my chosen horses

12.45 Mizzna
1.20 Joy n Fun EW
1.55 Desert Party Kalahari Gold ew
2.35 Musir
3.15 Rocket man Mutheeb ew
3,55 Previs
4,35 Buena Vista
5.50 Gio Ponti

If your going have a great day its gonna be a little hotter than last year!

Blue Cat Mar 27th 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Who is off to the races then

MM and Patsy Stoned have gone, I await their annual posting of outfits :thumbup:

Patsy Stoned Mar 27th 2010 7:52 pm

see post :-)

Patsy Stoned Mar 27th 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 8452803)
Well open to abuse tomorrow her are my chosen horses

12.45 Mizzna not placed
1.20 Joy n Fun EW 1st
1.55 Desert Party Kalahari Gold ew 11th
2.35 Musir 1st
3.15 Rocket man Mutheeb ew 2nd
3,55 Previs 11th
4,35 Buena Vista 2nd
5.50 Gio Ponti 4th

If your going have a great day its gonna be a little hotter than last year!

bad luck with your placing :)

NorthernLad Mar 27th 2010 8:23 pm

Went, it was crap. Was our last time.

Patsy Stoned Mar 28th 2010 3:32 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 8453640)
Went, it was crap. Was our last time.

OH! We had a great time but we were at the Meydan Hotel so dropped at the entrance, no Q's, no crowds, lovely views. Although it looked very crowed at the Apron view end.

NorthernLad Mar 28th 2010 4:14 am

They opened and closed roads randomly on way in, most people just got out and walked from main roads. Bubble lounge was a rip-off (security were idiots), Irish Village away from track then getting out was utter chaos.

commander Mar 28th 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 8454198)
They opened and closed roads randomly on way in, most people just got out and walked from main roads. Bubble lounge was a rip-off (security were idiots), Irish Village away from track then getting out was utter chaos.

yup, i bagged some free tickets and went along to see if it really is a chavtastic as i have been led to believe.

Some english trollop dressed up to the nines spat a dockyard oyster right at my feet, when i asked her if that was really the behavior that this event merited, she told me to 'go **** off' which was really funny. Her midget boyfriend then stepped up to the plate, took one look at me and my mates and then squirmed away.

We had a few drinks in the IV which was ok to be fair. I decided at that point to take my family for some food. The foodcourt above the IV was an absolute disgrace. Pizza or a fish supper. period.

If you have the full corporate deal like MM/PS then i bet its a great day out. If you have the plebs tickets like we did, i would rather watch paint dry than go again.

False economy though..free tickets..I had to go and buy a pair of trousers as i didnt own a pair..not one. shorts and jeans only. Then i had to buy a pair of shoes. So for having free tickets, between my wife and i we spent a fortune on going.

Overrated and shit. Not for this callsign.

Madam Medusa Mar 28th 2010 11:27 am

it does sound like it was a shambles if you were having to do the non-corporate thing...girl at work said getting there was a nightmare, queue to get in was really long (but they were handing out bottles of water this time), and getting home, even though she left at midnight before the end of the gig was a joke...apparently the taxi queue was massive, so people were told to get on rta buses which would take them to another taxi rank...they basically drove over the road, and were dumped 400 metres from the one taxi waiting for hundreds of people...she then queued for another hour to get a taxi and inveitably drunk people were getting arsey about having to wait and it all got quite unpleasant...

as for the races and show, i thought it was great...was the first time i've actually seen horses at the world cup in 4 years, so that was a bit of a novelty, lol...

MM, xx

commander Mar 28th 2010 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8454739)
it does sound like it was a shambles if you were having to do the non-corporate thing...girl at work said getting there was a nightmare, queue to get in was really long (but they were handing out bottles of water this time), and getting home, even though she left at midnight before the end of the gig was a joke...apparently the taxi queue was massive, so people were told to get on rta buses which would take them to another taxi rank...they basically drove over the road, and were dumped 400 metres from the one taxi waiting for hundreds of people...she then queued for another hour to get a taxi and inveitably drunk people were getting arsey about having to wait and it all got quite unpleasant...

as for the races and show, i thought it was great...was the first time i've actually seen horses at the world cup in 4 years, so that was a bit of a novelty, lol...

MM, xx

we left after 2 songs of the Elton John concert. The sound was not very good at all. I must say we walked out and got a taxi immediately and was back in the Marina within 30mins (ish). So it must have got really busy just after.

I never saw one race..the fireworks were pretty good. Its a UAE thing..if in doubt, throw a shit load of cash at some firework display, that will give the punters a feeling of value for money.

I would go back if my tickets were for the full package, but not in a million years would i pay to go..

Horseracing sucks.

Madam Medusa Mar 28th 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8454753)
we left after 2 songs of the Elton John concert. The sound was not very good at all. I must say we walked out and got a taxi immediately and was back in the Marina within 30mins (ish). So it must have got really busy just after.

I never saw one race..the fireworks were pretty good. Its a UAE thing..if in doubt, throw a shit load of cash at some firework display, that will give the punters a feeling of value for money.

I would go back if my tickets were for the full package, but not in a million years would i pay to go..

Horseracing sucks.

she said she left at around midnight...

i thought the globe thing with the acrobat spinning underneath was pretty impressive, and the eagle and horse thing...fireworks ok, not a patch on the burj khalifa opening mind...

and yeah, i would never go to that whole public bit, it's not worth the stress and sore feet from all that standing around...!

MM, xx

Meow Mar 28th 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8454364)
<snip>

False economy though..free tickets..I had to go and buy a pair of trousers as i didnt own a pair..not one. shorts and jeans only. Then i had to buy a pair of shoes. So for having free tickets, between my wife and i we spent a fortune on going.

Erm, how come you don't own any proper trousers and shoes? Surely you have at least one suit for formal occasions? :huh:

-

typical Mar 28th 2010 12:32 pm

What got me is, as we were arriving, they were making all the (poor) brown people get on at the back of the bus... talk about symbolism...

700 Dhs for me and the wife, met a few old friends and had some good conversation, but there was very little mixing of groups... maybe because it was concrete rather than grass? Couldn't see the races from the Apron, not enough slope and too many tents/flags... and with no betting to keep it interesting, that side of things wasn't great.

I was surprised in a good way we didn't get stung for drinks (though after paying almost 150 quid to get in, I'd have been mad if we had!).

Wifey had to queue 20 minutes for the toilet at one stage.

Taxi dropped us in the car park, had to take a bus in... on the way home we took the same bus and walked until we found an empty taxi, the queue was already several hundred long (about 5-6 songs into EJ's set).

Fireworks show was good but I bet we could have seen it from our apartment!

Organisation terrible, price high, racism institutionalised. You won't see me there next year.

commander Mar 28th 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8454805)
Erm, how come you don't own any proper trousers and shoes? Surely you have at least one suit for formal occasions? :huh:

-

its called a kilt...and it was in Abu Dhabi..;)

Plus tbh ive lost about 13Kg's of weight in the last 18months and reduced my waistsize by 4 inches..so i had a cull of clothes a few months ago.

commander Mar 28th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8454834)

Organisation terrible, price high, racism institutionalised. You won't see me there next year.

yup i noticed the way the workers or poorer indians/pakistanis were treated...unreal!!